Smoking

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaniM0820

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my dad has been a smoker for a good part of his life. My brothers and I grew up around it and surprisingly never received any negative effects of 2nd hand smoking.

DH and I do NOT smoke. In fact, the only time I am around smoking is if my dad is smoking in front of me (which he's been doing it outside now fortunately). Since being pregnant, I can smell the smoke on him SO badly! He would walk outside for a cigarette, and as soon as he'd come in I would just smell the smoke, as if I was right there with him getting it blown in my face!

I was really worried about bringing Jordan around that. My parents are a HUGE part of my life and I know they will be a huge part of his, but I was so scared that he would be exposed to the smoke smell from my dad's clothes (I know my dad would NEVER smoke around the baby!) but the stink is always there.

WELL, DH and I went over to my parent's house this weekend, and I found out that my dad is quitting smoking--hopefully for GOOD! HE doesn't want to be smoking when the baby is here, so I feel like since he is doing it for the baby he will be more inclined to stick with it since it was HIS decision! The whole thing just makes me feel sooo much better! He is working with his doctor and I think she has him on some kind of pills that should help, or it's a fake cigarette that seems real.. I don't really know the details. I am just SO THRILLED that I don't have to have an awkward talk about him changing his shirt when he holds the baby!!
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

May 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
wow thats great! I quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant and hubby started going outside, but i know what you mean about the strong overwhelming smell. Go grandpa! good choice!

Jessica Wearing Her SQUISHY BUM'S Cloth Diaper made by mommy
Facebook.com/Squishybums
May 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome news!!
May 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is wonderful!!

May 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
That's wonderful news!!! Prayers that this is the time that he is successful!!!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is awesome!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great that he's doing that for the baby. I wish my parents would quit. My dad is great about not smoking when he knows he's going to be around us. Like he'll avoid doing it at least an hour before so he doesn't reak. My mom and stepdad are a bit worse but they don't smoke around the girls or me.

So far my siblings and I don't show signs of health issues from growing up with smokers but I'm afraid I'll turn 40 or something and find out I have second-hand smoke related lung cancer, you know? I'm healthy now but it could all change.

May 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is wonderful!!! My dad stopped smoking when my brother was born and hasn't gone back since. Its so nice! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have a parent who smoked because i'm protective over my children.. my grandma smokes and although i rarely see her i have a hard time wanting her to hold my baby because she still smells like smoke. Some people have said you can ask them to change their shirt first but it seems like that might be awkward since she'd have to bring an extra shirt with her and then it will still probably smell like smoke anyway so i don't really understand how one would go about this.

Anyway i really hope he sticks with it!!

May 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
That is great that he is willing to do this specially for the baby.
May 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
That's great!!!

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search