Had my 'big' ultrasound... really upset and disappointed

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh is in the Air Force and since we moved here in November I have been going to the base hospital. I was a bit upset that they wouldn't do my anatomy u/s until I was over 22 weeks, but eh, I let it go, what can I do. I had to go alone because my dh is overseas for a few more weeks yet.

So I arrive for my u/s all excited, with my full bladder as instructed and I'm called back. The u/s technician was the grumpiest person I think I have ever met. She barked at me to lie on the table. I mean seriously just ordered me. So I laid down and she gets her stuff ready, squirts me with the gel. Not a word is spoken to me. So she then just starts scanning. I said, 'I was wondering if when you go 'down there' on the baby if you could let me know, because I don't want to find out the gender.' I was completely ignored. Ooookay.

So she's scanning away for about 10 minutes, still in silence, and I suddenly realise I'm looking at some kicking legs, so I quickly turned my head away. Yeah thanks for telling me lady. I asked a few times, things like 'is that an arm?' 'What body part is that?' because the machine was decrepit, honestly I had better images when I had my son 11 years ago, and I couldn't really make anything out clearly. She completely ignored me. Then finally she said, 'I can't tell you anything till we're done.' Really? You can't even tell me if that's an arm?!

Ok, so I wait patiently like 45 minutes until she's done, then she says, 'Sit up'. I did. Then she just left the room. I sit there. And sit there. About ten minutes later she comes back in and says, 'Ok you're done you can go.' Whaaa? I didn't even see anything! What about the cute profile shot, or the measurements or like, anything?

So I said, 'So is everything looking okay?' and she says, 'I can't tell you anything, you'll have to speak to the Dr.' So I said, 'Can I speak to the Dr now?' She said no I have to wait until my next appointment... at 26 weeks! Seriously??!!!!

I was so upset I just left in tears. I felt so let down and just, I don't know, disappointed I guess. I didn't see anything. I wasn't even given any pictures! And I've been so stressed about this u/s and now I've got to wait another FOUR WEEKS to even find out if everything is ok???

So I got home in tears and I decided that's it, I just don't want to use this hospital anymore. Every appointment I've had so far has been crappy - they're rude, impersonal. I know it's a military hospital, but they don't even treat you like a person, more like an inconvenience.

I have lived abroad for nine years, but I never gave up my British Citizenship, so I phoned the NHS (the English National Health Service) hospital to see if I am still eligible to use their services, and they said it should be ok and they are going to assign me a midwife hopefully in a few days. The NHS hospital gives a lot more options that the military hospital didn't also - they have tubs and a birthing centre and you can labour how you want. You don't have to consent to an iv or constant fetal monitoring and they have a much lower c section rate (the military hospital was 30%, which I think is pretty high, no?)

I'm still upset about the u/s and the way I was treated now two days later. Maybe it's pregnancy hormones and I'm overreacting, but I have had four previous babies and I've never had a scan where they won't say a word to you, or at least point out what you're looking at. And I've never been refused a picture before. I don't have any pictures from this pregnancy and my kids were so disappointed when I got home and I had nothing to show them

So thanks for reading. I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. And I'm really hoping I can get a proper anatomy scan soon, even if I have to pay and go somewhere else.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran
I am so sorry that you had to go through that with that woman. Shame on her. She obviously has some type of problem with the job she is doing to be so miserable to you. It was so bad it almost makes me wonder if she perhaps endured some type of trauma during a pregnancy or something. Regardless there is nho excuse for youto be treated so poorly and I feel so badly that she didi not let you see your precious baby or even give you a picture. I would switch if I were you. Sometimes when these things happen they do because they are pointing us to something much better. I will keep you in prayer. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy and hoping much better things for you in regards to a hospital!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
May 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Oh, my, I'm so sorry! It is definitely NOT your hormones...there is absolutely NO excuse for her behavior. It's true the techs can't tell you anything diagnostically, the drs do have to do that, but my tech pointed out everything she was measuring or looking at. I would put in a complaint with the office/care manager or whatever. She shouldn't be treating anyone in that manner. (((hugs)))
momma_d likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HUGS!!! That's awful!! I do know that technicians are not allowed to discuss "issues" with the ultrasounds. It is completely against policy to allow them to give medical information as it is their job to note not diagnose. So the Doc is the only one who can discuss it with you. However, in my experience if something WERE wrong you wouldn't be allowed to leave right away. Also, even with complications I've never had an U/S where you weren't even told what a flippin arm was!! that's ridiculous! I have left without pictures tho as not all machines are equipped for them. Sorry it was so poopy! I hope you have a better experience at the new place!!!

Thanks*Sharon*for our beautiful siggy!

, , ,,,
May 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is awful! I am so sorry! I hope everything works out for you to see the midwife and not have to use the military hospital!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh my..... no that is definitely NOT hormones! I feel awful for you just reading this! U/S's are supposed to be exciting, not a terrible experience! I think you are doing the right thing switching hospitals. I think I said this the other day, but when people act that way towards us, I think we naturally have this tenancy to take it at the time and then realize afterwards how horrible they really were and be upset! You can never go back and have those moments, and when they are bad like that it just leaves a little hole! I'm so sorry you had to have that experience and I hope that things look better for you at the new hospital!
nroundtr likes this.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww how disappointing. I hope you can get a better U/S. With a friendly tech.
Angela; Mom to S,K,R,J,E,C,N and #8 coming soon (ish).

May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I wouldn't have left that hospital without talking to someone about that tech. There is no excuse for that, and especially at a military hospital any issues you have with someone will be handled quickly. I would call up there and make an appointment to meet with someone. I would file a grievance against that tech, and make sure that something is done about it.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
That makes me so sad for you!!! I hope you have better luck and hope it get's better! Some people should be slapped!!!! Just crazy acting that way!

May 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is just awful. I am so sorry You have every reason to be upset, sad, and angry all in one. While you wait for a midwife to be assigned I would suggest you go ahead and call the OB you have been seeing to ask about the results of your u/s. The tech did not tell me anything about the first u/s I was given and I did call my OB and he went over the results with me on the phone to an extent. I can't believe that witch of a woman wouldn't even give you a picture

May 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Oh my gosh, that's horrible!!! I am so very sorry for you. You have a right to your records and can request a copy of them at any time - part of the HIPPA policy, so you do not have to wait the 4 weeks. Plus, your doctor should be willing to tell you over the phone how things went.

BOooO!!

I bet you will have just the best experience ever with the midwives and birthing center!

May 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all It just feels good just to tell someone about it! After I'd calmed down today I did try to think back and wondered if I did anything to offend the tech that would have caused her to act like that, but I really can't think of anything. Also, I wondered if perhaps she was just having a bad day. For all I know, she'd had a recent miscarriage or some bad news, or just about anything. Or maybe she was a witch, I just don't know lol.

Anyway, thank you all for your understanding. And Jennabee it does make me feel a little better that if something was wrong they probably would have kept me back and told me before I left. Although on the flip side, if everything was fine, it would have only taken the Dr a few minutes to tell me that too, and it would have meant a lot to me. It was the having to wait four weeks to discuss it that really upset me I think. And I must admit, I was really disappointed not to get a single picture too.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry...that is ridiculous and you don't deserve to be treated that way! I would have been very upset as well.

My Ovulation Chart
May 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow, that makes me so mad for you. I'm sorry you had to go through that witch of a woman. I would report her, seriously. When I had my u/s done, the tech would say "there's the heart, do you want to find out the gender, everything looks okay" things like that. What a wench. Seriously. I wouldn't be nice about it at all!!

May 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Super Mommy
You need to go online and put in an ICE comment. Those are read by superiors. Myself and some friends had issues at a military hospital in Japan and things were quickly fixed once ICE comments were put in. Can you get another ultrasound at the other hospital so maybe you can get some pics? Or contact the hospital and tell them the situation is not acceptable. They should have images on file so they can see measurements and what not, maybe it's possible to get them printed out now. That tech was a b****.

May 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Super Mommy
AJ, I'm sorry sweetie! That lady was beyond rude. I'm not a fan of military hospitals at all, personally. They've given my sister 3 different surgery's she didn't need, and almost killed my aunt. I definitely think you should look into the other hospital, and if they offer the water birth and things like that, that seems nicer anyway. Please keep us updated. I hope you get another chance at a nice anatomy scan. You deserve a good experience with that. When they do it right, its so precious and priceless. *HUGS*
May 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sorry! It is hard when the techs in the states can't say anything to you. At least she could have been nice!!!

May 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you went through that Its definitely not your hormones, that is completely unacceptable!! I definitely think you need to go somewhere else! I hope you get another scan so you can see your baby properly and get pictures.

May 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Huge hugs!!!! This happened during my last pregnancy luckily that tech ended up leaving that job anyway. I cried too. She was such a jerk, and acted like it was my fault that the baby wouldn't cooperate for the pictures she needed. She said it was "really ruining her day". I'm so sorry its so not fair for them to take their feelings out on patients.

I strongly encourage you to get an elective if you have the means. I ended up going the next day. I told them about my bad experience and they really pampered me.

}
May 2nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I am sorry you were treated so poorly and didn't get to see anything or get any pics. Thats so depressing. Glad you are going to be able to switch out of the military hospital and get a midwife etc... Hugs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search