Friend issues

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran
I'm not sure if I'm just being hormonal or not. And this is kind of a rant, had sort of a rough day.

I work with one of my friends and she is technically ranked above me. I work two days a week there and she works 40 hours a week. Since our boss is out after knee surgery, she is now the one who gives me tasks to do. I was hired to do filing and inventory but lately, because there hasn't been much work to do, I have been asked to do other things.

Ever since I got pregnant, my friend always has something negative to say about pregnancy. Though I think she's trying to say it in a joking way. Today I was working in the machining room sorting several screws and tools. There were some very strong smells that were giving me a headache and it was also hot in there. So eventually I had to run into the office just to breathe. I told her what had happened and she just kind of laughs and says "oh you crazy pregnant people". (Her sister is pregnant right now) It kind of would have been nice to ask if I was ok first. If I complain about nausea and she says the same thing. I kind of hinted that the fumes in the machining room might be a little too strong but she completely ignores me. And she always has to make a jab at me for being pregnant. Like today she said that I had a parasite growing inside of me.
Earlier, she handed me something that ended up being a little heavy. It wasn't over 50lbs or anything but it was enough to surprise me. I'm already a little stressed so that wasn't helping. She has never been pregnant but she does spend several days a week with her sister who is not pregnant with her third. And she always wants to inform me of pregnancy hazards.

Ok am I just being hormonal, or is there something off here?

And just another issue. I asked if there were any possible hazards back in the machining room and everyone at my work couldn't give me a definite answer. (It's a small business) The issue here, they said that if I don't feel comfortable working back there that I don't have to. Little problem with that answer. First, I think that they should know if there is a possibility that their employees could come into contact with something hazardous. Second, if I choose not to do that work, there will be no other work for me to do and I would have to go home. Maybe it's just me being hormonal, but it woudl be much easier if they offered me an alternative or had me switch tasks with another employee.
May 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first thought is that she might be a little jealous of you. Perhpas she suffers from infertility...I don't know, just thinking that there may be a deeper issue going on with her since her negative comments keep coming up versus being a one time annoying sentiment.
And YES, you should be able to get a definitive answer regarding potential hazzards!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
May 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
As sad as it sounds a lot of places are wanting pregnant people gone once they find out you are pregnant so by them saying you don't have to do the job knowing you don't have anything else to do might be b/c they think you will just quit! They should be super happy for you and try to make things easier on you but some people are so rude!! I hope it get's better for you.

May 3rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
They should be offering you an alternative unless it becomes a financial strain on your employer to do so.

Also do you know what WHIMIS is? I live in Canada and I'm not sure where you are but here every workplace has a binder in an accessible location with up to date information sheets on hazardous chemicals. Then every chemical is labelled appropriately so you can go find information about it in the binder. Maybe your workplace has something similar so you can find out for yourself if there's something in there that is hazardous for pregnant women specifically.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here in the US I "think" it's called an OSHA folder like you just mentioned. It's been 7 years since I worked, but yes every place I ever worked had to have one. So there are laws like that here in the US too. It's been awhile though so I'm not positive that is what they call it still.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking the same thing about the folder! I also can't remember what it is called but every company is required to have them where every employee can look through it.

What are the smells back there? Like gas or oil fumes? I'm not sure whats in a machine room! Sorry! If you have to, get a note from your Dr. saying what is and isn't appropriate for you to be doing. I don't think they can flat out discriminate and tell you to go home because there is "nothing" else for you to do. There are a lot of laws in place to protect pregnant, working women! I have zero tolerance for companies who flat out discriminate.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know in our state you are protected by the law and they have to accomodate your pregnancy..when you go on leave they also have to provide you an equal job when you return..I learned a lot about that taking a business mgt class in highschool..I don't think the laws on that would change that much and I don't think they would differ too much from state to state..I agree with the other girls..there should be a folder of some sort..like a binder with all the info in it..

May 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
an employer must provide an msds (material safety data sheet) if it is requested...

as for the comments I'm not sure how to take them....

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran
Thanks everyone. I didn't know about the folder! It is a small family business and the son recently took over for his father, so I don't know. I will ask for the folder. I'm just worried that they won't know where it is! I wish that my bosses wife was in the office. She is the one who recently had surgery. She was very supportive of my pregnancy. The other higher ups are all men and I don't think they really understand. (The boss and his wife never had kids and don't plan to)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search