BTDT Mamas: Hand-me-downs

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Those who already have kids, will you be using hand-me-downs from older siblings for baby?

I won't, sadly I didn't keep most of Daniel's baby things, because when I split with my ex I figured I wouldn't be having another baby at least in the near future and there wasn't the space to keep them all when we lived in a flat. So it's all new for this one! However if anyone offered me any second-hand clothes I'd gladly take them!

May 7th, 2012, 07:33 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
I don't have any old clothes either for the same reason. I figured I was done. Gave all the baby clothes away in Sept, found out I was pregnant in Nov. But I think I'll be getting some stuff from my SIL who had a boy last Feb. It won't be all perfectly seasonal but a sleeper is a sleeper. We are going to have to buy the majority of this baby's clothes though.

May 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a box of blankets and sheets that were used with both my boys, still soft and snuggly and i think my mum has washed them all in Fairy for me and is bringing them over when she visits - it includes two blankets crocheted by my auntie for each boy, one blue and one yellow... she's passed now, so they mean a lot to me.
I have one newborn baby-gro (sleepsuit) from when Toby my eldest was born... it never fit Oli - he was well into 0-3 when he wasborn at 10lb 2oz! Again, very sentimental and my little girl will look cute in a white suit with little cars and buses on it

Other than that, i've ebayed for some bits and been blessed with some hand-me-downs from newly found friends here in the US, which i'm very grateful for! I love secondhand!

I WISH i had my old nappy/diaper stash though. I had some cute Minki leopard skin ones i'd love to see on my little girl

Polly

May 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All the neutral stuff we have from DD will be used but there's not much.

When I was pregnant with DD I got tons of hand-me-downs from people we know. Mostly girl stuff since we knew what we were having but there were a few things for boys too so I'm in the process of going through everything to see what we have and what we'll need to buy.
May 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so grateful for my friend that handed me down her boy clothes!!!!
May 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mrs. Mustin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kept all the clothes from my first, so my second has worn mostly hand me downs. If this would have been a boy, I would have handed them down again, but this is a girl, so she'll have all new clothes (other than a few gender neutral things I got for the boys when they were newborns). Keeping hand me downs take up SO much space, but they have saved me a lot of money.
Me (Dawn) 30, DH 34, Jackson Christopher 4, Jacob David 2, Baby #3 Alice Annmarie C-Section on 8/24

May 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
No, George is picky. Pippa will get all new stuff except a few very special things that I saved from when Jessica was a baby.

May 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I gave away most of the older kids stuff, but still have almost all of Sophia's. However, that stuff won't do us much good if this babe is a boy
May 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hopefulpinkangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kept all of DS old things, which a large portion was gender neutral, but obviously most of the clothes won't be able to be used for Molly. However we were given so many hand me down clothes for DS, I have a feeling that will happen again. Hand me downs ROCK!

Jan 2010 August 2011

May 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Super Mommy
I still have some receiving blankets, breast pump, diaper bag & potty chair left from my girls. I also got my pack n play back from a friend. Other than that, everything else is gone as we thought we were done. I did pick up a few outfits & bouncy seat at a mom's sale. Fortunately, my SIL's sister had a baby boy in Nov. & has a 4 yr. old son and I am going to be getting a ton of clothes from her. I love hand me downs!

May 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still have all my cloth diapers, and will use those, even though most are blue, lol. I've passed all my boy clothes on-- so if Elise turns out to be a boy I'll have to start from scratch (nooooooo!).

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

May 7th, 2012, 11:10 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I still have diapers. But since we don't have storage in our house (very small attic space since our attic is finished, and no basement) I had to pass on all of our clothes. I think I have maybe a handful of things somewhere I just haven't found it yet.

I posted on facebook this week that I was looking for some handmedowns. Women around here usually pass around clothes a lot. So far it looks like I'll be getting donations from a few homes. I'm so glad because I hate buying all brand new things for something that's used for such a short amount of time.

May 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I gave away all the baby clothes after Sam out grew them and regrettably gave away all my small diapers. But as Sarah gets a bit older she will have hand me downs from my older girls I've hung onto.
May 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Yes! Especially clothes. I got rid of a lot of DD1s NB-9 month clothes before we moved from CA to HI last year, but she had SO MUCH that I still have enough. I plan to go through all her clothes once we get moved and see what I want to keep and what I want to give away. She had/has so many clothes, that I can give away at least half of them and still have enough, lol. Plus I have been shopping for more clothes for Adalyn [though not as crazy as I went with DD1].

Adalyn will also be getting DD1s dresser and crib. I gave away most blankets and burp cloths - But I'll buy a few blankets [we don't need many in HI] and am making her burp cloths. I sold her swing - But am getting one for free from an old friend who just moved out here. I bought a new bouncy seat. She'll use the same pack-n-play. . .

So most of what Adalyn will use will be hand-me-downs, with some new things mixed in just because I love shopping for baby girl stuff

May 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have all of DS's stuff but a lot of it (mostly the clothes) is too boyish to use since i'm having a girl this time. She already has a lot of stuff though.. somehow her closet is already full!! I'm not worried, i'm sure she'll get plenty of clothes

May 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a boy and now we're having a girl so I have tons of clothes that I can't use. However, this girl will be sitting in a BLUE nap nanny, under a BLUE blanket and drinking out of DS' bottles though!!
May 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we thought we were done so we got rid of everything. My sil gave is a pack n play. Chloe might share some of her bows with Carlie which would be nice, since we have kept all of her bows (you just never know when you will have another outfit to match those). The rest of her stuff will be new or new to us. I am a big consignment and yard sale shopper.
May 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
emeraldeyedimp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes most of Marshall's clothes will come from Zack, but they aren't really that old or even that worn. Zack had enough clothes for 4 babies, and some of the stuff he didn't even wear or wore like once. I am going to buy some new things just for him, and also because he is my first summer baby and a lot of things just won't work because of the different seasons. I guess this is one benefit to having two boys so close in age.

Thanks to Jaques for the super cute siggy. Marshall is loving being paired with Hannah, she is super sweet.
May 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
we only have boy stuff, but i'm sure Cora will use some of it. I love hand me downs though. I will be begging off everyone i can ask.

May 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah he won't get to wear Lilys stuff unless it's neutral and I've passed down a lot of her clothing to friends anyway.

But I loveeeee hand me downs. I prefer them to buying new, that's for sure!!

Tags
parenting , parenting qotd , pregnancy , pregnancy qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search