Questions about clothes

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By AmyT
  • 1 Post By MJTKNT
  • 1 Post By smashley8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2012, 06:00 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I've been collecting a bunch of clothes ever since I found out I was pregnant through clearance, Marshall's, thrift stores, consignment sales, etc. and I just went through and organized them to see what I have. Here's what I have at the moment:

Newborn
5 sleepers
2 hats

0-3 months
1 t-shirt
2 sleepers
3 long sleeved onesies
Lined overalls
1 pair of baby jeans
1 hat
1 pair of booties

3-6 months
2 t-shirts
5 long sleeved shirts
3 sleepers
2 onesies (1 long sleeved)
1 zipper hoodie
2 pairs of soft pants

6-9 months
2 pairs of jeans
1 pair of jean shorts
4 t-shirts
2 long sleeved shirts
1 onesie
1 sleeper

12-18 months
2 pairs soft pants
1 pair soft shorts
1 pair of jeans
2 pajamas
2 onesies

Some questions I have:
What do you think is important for me to put on a registry? I plan on getting/asking for plain white onesies for each stage. As you can tell I think it's adorable when babies wear jeans, but I also plan on getting some more soft pants. Do I need more sleepers for the newborn stage, or should I wait to see if baby is too big for newborn clothes?

Also, anyone who has experience with Carter's clothing, what do they mean when they say 3 months, 6 months, etc.? Is that technically 0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc.? I have a bunch of things that are labeled "3 months" but not sure if I should anticipate them for UP to 3 months or up to 6 months. I guess I will probably have to wait and see how they fit my own child, LOL.

One thing is for sure, I do not need to buy ANY more clothes until I see what I get for my shower!!! I have bought too much already!

May 7th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I always had about 6 sleepers..maybe a few more in NB size..about 8 0-3 months, 10ish onsies, and about 10 outfits(pants and shirt)..With my first born I think I had way more but I had a baby shower..with my daughter I found I really don't have enough..and Im hoping to have at least twice what I need for the new baby..I tend to have spitters..LOL..my Daughter still spits up about 12 times a day at least..

May 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a feeling you will get a lot of different answers on this subject because everyone does things differently!

If I'm being 100% honest, I wouldn't register for clothes period, other than the basics, like onesies. Clothes are incredibly hard to find on registries (unless they purchase online), because all they do is list the skew number with a description, so they are incredibly hard to find!

And like you said, it's hard to say what size is going to fit your baby when, because every baby is different! Some babies never fit into newborn, while others need preemie clothes at full term. Keira was typically in her size range, until after about 6-8 months. It's so hard to try and guess what is going to work at what age.

As far as Carters sizing, you shouldn't anticipate anything (this goes for any size-any brand). I think they size their stuff so that newborn will fit newborns, 3 months will fit a 3 month old, etc. etc. But it never works out this way! You may have a newborn wearing 3 month size or a 3 month old wearing newborn stuff still! I know I sound like a broken record but it is so true! Sizes are just a guideline so try not to stress about it too much!

Also- one thing I DO know for sure is that some things will shrink a TON. Any of the Gerber brand sleepers will shrink up a ton, as will the brand "jumping beans" from Kohls. I buy their stuff but I know to buy it like 2 sizes bigger in the store and it shrinks down to fit better!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With a fall baby, going into winter, I can't stress it enough but get long sleeve onesies. That's all they will be wearing onesie-wise, until it starts staying warm enough in spring. They are a pain the butt to find unfortunately too, but oh so nessicary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
Do I need more sleepers for the newborn stage, or should I wait to see if baby is too big for newborn clothes?
I would get a few onesies after your shower if no one gets you them, but people will likely get you them. You will get the most amount of clothes, BY FAR, in size NB and 0-3 from your shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
Also, anyone who has experience with Carter's clothing, what do they mean when they say 3 months, 6 months, etc.? Is that technically 0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc.? I have a bunch of things that are labeled "3 months" but not sure if I should anticipate them for UP to 3 months or up to 6 months. I guess I will probably have to wait and see how they fit my own child, LOL.
3 months is just that, when the kid is 3 months. Basically it will fit that month and maybe around that month. It's a little different than 0-3 months and 3-6 months. It's for when they are "inbetween" sizes sorta. Like right now my son is too small for 6-9 months and too big for 12 months, so he's wearing 9 months clothing. I wouldn't worry about stocking up on the middle sizes because it seems they wear them less. If you find something cute, by all means, get it in 3, 6, 9 months, whatever. Just don't feel like you "have to" have it.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13

Last edited by OatmealKisses; May 7th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
May 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always found that the 3 month was the same as the 0-3 month...12 month was the same as 9-12 month size...etc. But I also would rather wear the clothes a tiny bit bigger than when they are on the small size BUT like some of the other girls said, just because it says 12 months does NOT mean it will fit at a year. My DS stayed pretty true to size until 9 months then he skipped an entire size range! I had about 15-20 outfits still with tags on that I never got to wear on him! DD on the other hand was in 0-3 month sizes until at least 5 or 6 months though, then she went into the 6-9 month size for another 6 months It is hard to determine when they will have a growth spurt and just how much of one they will have.

A lot of times I check the weight range of the garment instead of 0-3, 3-6 etc. because each brand may have a different weight range for that size range. Carter's brand holds up really well and washes well though. Very little shrinking and stains come out pretty easily. Just my experience with the brand
momma_d likes this.

May 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Onsies and sleepers are the things that I'd say you need more of through the newborn-6 month range. Babies spit up, poo, and pee, and are just messy. They're not like big people. They can easily go through multiple outfits in a day from blow outs and throw ups.

My favorite things for the first few months are gowns. Yes- even for boys. They keep baby warm, and you don't have to struggle with buttons/zippers on footed sleepers so they're quick (and trust me, you want to be quick because your baby will cry every single time you take clothes off for a while b/c it's just a shock of cold air he's not going to be used to). If you do get footed sleepers, I'd buy the zipper ones, just b/c it's easier and quicker to zip them up than to have to hassle with a bunch of snaps in the middle of the night. I used onsies a lot too, but not nearly as much as sleepers. Real outfits are really only for going out to event type things. Even every day shopping trips, sleepers are fine. Your baby will often be sleeping, or covered up to avoid the public, etc. SO- there's my two cents.
momma_d likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I am probably weird, but I don't get a ton of outfits for my kids until they are 4 to 5 months old. My kids live in their sleepers, and comfy clothes for the first few months. I don't see any reason why a baby needs jeans. Sure they are cute, but I bet they aren't comfortable. I like to keep my kids all comfy and snuggled, so I would pass on the jeans and just get softer pants. I have a ton of sleepers. I think I have about 6 sleep sacks, 15 footed pjs, and a bunch of the little soft pants with matching top. I don't really like onesies, but we do have a handful of those also. I have them in all size ranges. I don't buy to much in NB size because my babies tend to grow out of that size quickly. Really the clothes you need are a matter of what you want to dress your baby in. As for sizes right now I would stock up in the sizes to 6 months, and then wait on the others until you see how your baby is growing. Then you will have a better idea of what you will need because as they grow and learn new things you might find yourself not wanting to use certain items of clothing that were once used a lot. When my kids start crawling I do buy more jeans and things like that because they will be getting a lot of wear on their knees, and I don't use the onesies at all after about 6 months. I will also be wearing my baby a lot, so I want the baby to be in breathable clothes that are more comfortable because it will still be hot here until November.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 8th, 2012, 04:29 AM
The jeans I bought are pretty soft and some are lined even... but personal choice.

I'll definitely be getting some more sleepers, but I'm sure I'll be getting quite a few of those at my shower. If not, I'll hit up some sales again.

Oh by the way, thank you all for your help! You pretty much summed up what I was already thinking. This is one of those things that you just can't really plan for as much as you'd like to! (And I sure am a planner, LOL)

May 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
[QUOTE=Real outfits are really only for going out to event type things. Even every day shopping trips, sleepers are fine. Your baby will often be sleeping, or covered up to avoid the public, etc. SO- there's my two cents. [/QUOTE]

I have to say i agree. I had TONS of dressy up jeans, trendy outfits for my son and he never wore them unless it was a holiday/special occasion. It is just a lot more work then a footed outfit that is soft and comfortable for them. He started wearing more of those kinda outfits after one yrs old. I loved the Carters brand of clothes. They fit so well, are super soft, wash well and still looked new the longest. Other brands like that are gymboree, osh kosh etc. I know everyone is different and we all live in different states. Here is cold and will get cold quite soon after we have them so its all about comfort and warmth

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
May 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
My daughter lived in zip-front sleepers for the first few months. The ones with snaps were a pain in the rear, but the soft, cotton ones with zippers are the BEST.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

May 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
You've already received great advice, Ashley! I have to second most everything Danielle said. I wouldn't bother registering for clothes for the reasons she gave. Plus, when it comes to clothes and showers, people will buy you whatever clothes they like.

I would have a few onsies and sleepers in the small sizes (NB and 3 months) and wait to see how big your boy is and how quickly he grows, just as Danielle said. I had big boys who were always way ahead of their age, size-wise. By the time they were 9 months, they'd already needed 18mo clothes. I have a 21 month old now who wears 3T clothes, LOL! Once you see what size he's in for the season, it'll be easier to shop, size-wise. I saved all my gift cards from my showers for clothing purposes for this reason!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hopefully I can get some use out of all the things I've bought! If not, oh well... they were all very cheap!!!
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
You can get great re-sell out of clothes that still have tags on them if you don't need them for whatever reason. I don't think you've gone overboard at all, though! I bet you'll get some use out of all of it, how much just varies based on how fast he'll grow and if he can wear them a full season, or if he catches just the end of a season, KWIM? It's fun to shop, so I wouldn't feel bad about grabbing what you like at a cheap price.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its fine you have a lot of stuff! We got so many clothes as gifts we seriously did not buy any clothes ourselves for an entire year!

And I second what everyone else said about Carters brand clothes, they really do wash up awesomely and look new the longest! I have so many little 3 month outfits from when Keira was a baby that she wore a lot and they seriously look brand new still for this baby! And they are sooooo soft and cozy! I love that about their brand! And now that I think about it, Oshkosh, Baby Gap, Gymborie (sp?), and Old Navy brand stuff is awesome too, it just is a little more expensive than the Carters.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter wore lots of sleepers, I prefer the zippered ones over the snaps, especially at night. Much easier for diaper changes. I also did a lot of onesies, especially in the winter, because they don't ride up like regular shirts, with pants. As for jeans, they are cute for special occasions, but not all the time. Really, you will find them to be uncomfortable.

But, you will find your style and preference in no time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search