Another people are stupid rant!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By smashley8
  • 1 Post By LovesTheRain
  • 1 Post By curlygirl77

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy

Last edited by Starstrydergrrl; March 18th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
May 8th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm from another board, but just happened to come across this? I don't think she meant it to upset you... My BF wanted to name her baby Areyah if it was a girl and Brayden if it was a boy (It was a boy) but me and another of our friends used to pick on her and say, "What areyah doin?" "Brayden my hair." She would just chuckle with us. It was all in fun, and in no way were we putting down her name choices. She was actually pronouncing it Are Ya. It looks like you're going in another direction there if I'm following that correctly? Anyway, don't let her response upset you too much! What matters is that you (and SO) love the name you picked out and it feels right. <3

May 8th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks, I really do think it was a hormonal reaction lol. She did however go on to say that she can see the kid with that name being teased mercilessly. I honestly don't see that personally but I tend to think all names have potential for teasing.

I guess also this is where the regional thing comes in, in SA because we have quite the diverse range of cultures it is more common for it to be pronounced the latter way.

Last edited by Starstrydergrrl; May 8th, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
May 8th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I don't blame you, lol I think you're right about most/all names having potential for teasing... I found this site if you type in the name, click it, and then click the tab that says "I'm considering this name" It'll have a survey people with that name have done that tells you how much they liked being named that, how they got made fun of, etc. Pretty neat It made me change my name about Parker... (Porker if he's chubby) DH didn't care for it anyway so that just made up our mind about it, lol.

here's the link -
Arya | Name Meaning & Origin | Boy or Girl Name Arya | Baby Names World

May 8th, 2012, 05:39 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaniscooo View Post
I'm from another board, but just happened to come across this? I don't think she meant it to upset you... My BF wanted to name her baby Areyah if it was a girl and Brayden if it was a boy (It was a boy) but me and another of our friends used to pick on her and say, "What areyah doin?" "Brayden my hair." She would just chuckle with us. It was all in fun, and in no way were we putting down her name choices. She was actually pronouncing it Are Ya. It looks like you're going in another direction there if I'm following that correctly? Anyway, don't let her response upset you too much! What matters is that you (and SO) love the name you picked out and it feels right. <3
No offense, but that would bother me I would probably chuckle too and then go home and complain about it to my husband! I don't think under any circumstances is it okay to make fun of a baby's name choice. It's offensive to the parents, who are picking it for a reason.

Arya is beautiful! How do you pronounce Ayren? The same as Aaron/Erin?

May 8th, 2012, 05:45 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd be hurt too...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Super Mommy
My daughter's name is Marley. My husband and I picked that name because we both love reggae music, and because DH's mom is full blooded Jamaican, and we thought it was really pretty. When we told FIL her name, he said "Don't name her that, people will call her "Narley Marley" First of of, no one has used the word "narley" since the 80s, and second, what are you trying to say?!?!? My child is going to be narley?!?!? And by the way, no one has EVER called her that. Another thing I hate, is people ask me if I named her after that movie. UMM, actually my daughter was born long before that movie, and why would I name my DD after a dog???? SERIOUSLY"??!!?
momma_d likes this.
May 8th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think other people should really learn to keep their mouths shut when it comes to naming babies! Luckily I haven't had any backlash from anyone but if I did I'd probably tell them that after they carry a baby in their belly for 40 weeks then they can chose the name!

I think your name choices are beautiful!

May 8th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
No offense, but that would bother me I would probably chuckle too and then go home and complain about it to my husband! I don't think under any circumstances is it okay to make fun of a baby's name choice. It's offensive to the parents, who are picking it for a reason.

Arya is beautiful! How do you pronounce Ayren? The same as Aaron/Erin?

I know that if it truly upset HER she would've told me, she always does. It wasn't exactly "Making fun" just playing around with her chosen names. I didn't see a thing wrong with them. My chosen girls name is Avery Rose... She pointed out it sounds kinda like "Every Rose" anyway, we've had fun like that with a lot of the names I've been considering. Just playing around with them seeing how they sound. I've never gotten offended, and she's never acted the least bit offended or said so. Otherwise, I wouldn't joke around with her like that. I was just coming in from THIS side of it to express how I really didn't think OP's friend meant to upset her or hurt her feelings, because the situation is kind of similar. I totally get where you're coming from though. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or offend OP. If I did either, my apologies.

May 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
We would pronounce it Erin, love it so much too.

Kaniscoo ~ No offense taken, I do realise that technically she didn't mean it in a bad way. I was just hurt that her first reaction was thinking it was a pun of some sort. Love Avery Rose btw.

Kelly ~ Ouch, Marley is pretty and people are dumb to think it came from a dog's name in a movie...*shakes head* people are strange.

May 8th, 2012, 09:39 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i don't know why people think they can be so rude about stuff like that. i would never comment on another person's name choice negatively... if everyone liked the same names the world would be pretty boring. or full of people called john and mary

fwiw all my kids have quite 'ordinary' names - kyle, alyssa, seth and holly. my family didn't like kyle because they said people would rhyme it with vile. they said holly would be called 'holly-day' and that seth was just weird. i used all those names anyway and none of them have ever been teased about their names. people need to just keep heir opinions to themselves!
Starstrydergrrl likes this.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually think that name is gorgeous. I have never even put the association of "are ya" together with it.

I don't think anyone would make fun of the names at all! Plus, it isn't even pronounced "are-ya" to begin with. It would be different if you put a noun as the middle name, but that is pretty uncommon!

For instance, I went to school with a kid named "Ada Coon" no joke, so everytime the teacher called his name it sounded like "Ate A Coon". I think the name Ada alone is cute, but I can't believe the parents didn't think about it with their last name!! Yikes!

I agree though, people really shouldn't say stuff like that. I have some really close friends that I can say pretty much anything to, but none of us would ever make fun of name choices for each other's children. It's just insensitive, wether it was intentional or not. And like you said, I doubt she meant it that way, but I would have been a little off put too!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its rude to make fun a person's name. And since you were telling her you are considering this name for your baby i think it was inappropriate for her to make that comment. I would have been upset too. One thing we worry about as parents (or at least i know i do) is our children being made fun of for their name so clearly this wouldn't help reassure us. I think the name is lovely

We announced Kylie's name last weekend and am so glad we waited to tell everyone until we were set on the name. I'm sure there are people who don't like her MN but as long as i don't have to hear them complain i don't care

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search