Question for cloth diapering Mommies...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have decided I am going to cloth diaper our baby this time. I plan to use disposables when we go out and cloth at home. I am trying to figure out:
~ How many cloth diapers do I need for the first few months?
~ How many inserts?
~ What else do I need?

So far I have bought 7 one size cloth pocket diapers and 20 inserts. I am quite sure this is not enough but I don't know just how many more I need to buy!

I appreciate the help ladies, I am new to cloth diapering!

Oh, and a random question; how do you ladies wash and dry your cloth diapers/inserts?

Last edited by Blessed Mommy Of 5; May 8th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
May 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
For the NB stage I have about 20 diapers. I am using prefolds for the NB stage. I have 20 prefolds and 5 covers. For my one size diapers that I will use after the baby grows out of the NB ones I have (I think) 18 diapers, and two inserts for each diaper (one small and one large per diaper). I just wash my diapers in my washer with tide free for he machines ( a little goes a long way), and I also add tea tree oil to my wash. Then depending on the weather I either dry my diapers on low in my dryer or I hang them out on a clothesline to dry. It is quicker on the clothesline, so I use that as much as I can. I love my diaper sprayer that I bought. I know some people don't like them, but I really love mine. I also would get two wet bags (one to wash and one to use), and a small wet bag for out of the house. I don't use disposables out of the house because I think it is pointless when I will be carrying all the same stuff with us anyway. When we go out of town to visit family I switch to disposable because it is hard to get the time to wash diapers when you are on vacation.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My newborn stash with my daughter and with this baby was about 24 diapers..they claim you will need 12 per day but we find we really only need about 8..and if youre doing prefolds and covers you'll need at least 6 covers..5 maybe..I have 8 and its comfortable..Im a huge prefold fan in the newborn stage because a lot of the other diapers will gape in the legs if your baby is skinny..You will also need pins or a snappi..I reccommend a snappi..they are just a few dollars..Im sticking with the 24 diapers per size/age because I know it works..I actually have too many prefolds in my daughters size right now but I know that the baby will be wearing them and they are still big on my daughter so she'll be in them for a while..One size pockets and other one size diapers do tend to run really big..I found my kawaii pockets didnt fit my daughter until she was about 6 months old..Also I'd invest in at least one roll of flushable liners in case baby gets a rash..Rash cream can cause repelling issues..With pockets you will probably want 2 inserts each in varied sizes/shapes/absorbancies..also..I had a heck of a time figuring out a wash routine..The cloth diapering message board here at just mommies is great for that..There are do's and don't of detergents as well..its not recommended you use mainstream detergents on cloth diapers...A lot of women have good luck with tide but I didnt..LOL

May 8th, 2012, 03:05 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
~ How many cloth diapers do I need for the first few months?
~ How many inserts?
~ What else do I need?
So far I have bought 7 one size cloth pocket diapers and 20 inserts.
Newborns typically go through 12 diapers a day. Mine was a super soaker and went through 18. If you want to do laundry every night get 12, if you want to do it every other night get 24.

You are close to having what you need inserts wise for doing laundry every other day. Generally, it's 1 insert per diaper for daytime and 2-3 for nighttime. What type/brand of inserts are you getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
Oh, and a random question; how do you ladies wash and dry your cloth diapers/inserts?
I use CountrySave powder detergent, the recommended amount the box says, on the sanitary cycle on my washer. Sometimes I'll run it through twice. I seperate my inserts from the pockets but wash them in the same load. I dry in the drier as normal. Never had problems.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
May 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have 20 AppleCheeks Bamboo inserts.

May 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh..also..I wanted to add that sometimes..your diapers might start to really stink..like ammonia..it's caused either by the diapers not getting clean enough..or detergent buildup..Easily remedied by using original blue dawn dishsoap..this is an issue Im having a lot because of my water and my water heater..You'll also find reccomendations for this on the CD'ing message boards..

May 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I can't comment on quantity too much because i have WAY too many. But i think you need 12 a day in the beginning? Onesize pockets will not fit. you can just use sposies till they fit though, as it won't be long.

My wash routine is

short warm wash/rinse with either a heaping tablespoon of oxyclean or 1/4 cup bleach (depends on how soiled things are.. i started the bleach routine for older baby poop)
Long Heavy Duty Hot wash/rinse with Tide up to the 1 line
extra rinse
Dry inserts on medium and shells and wetbags on the line. I fluff everthing on low after the first dry is done.

May 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Wow, I had no idea that the one size doesn't fit newborns! So, at what weight do the one size normally start fitting?

Thank you for the responses ladies!!

May 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea that the one size doesn't fit newborns! So, at what weight do the one size normally start fitting?

Thank you for the responses ladies!!
That TOTALLY depends on your baby, lol! How big were your others? If you have chunky leg babies they will fit earlier than string bean babies. My skinny boy here (the only one I've CD) didn't fit the OS diapers until about 3-4 months. Until then I did wash once a day and had 12 "good" diapers and a few back up ratty ones to use in a pinch. I was given the pack of diapers from the hospital and my mom bought me one box of diapers to use until his circumcision healed but after that never did buy any diapers at all until he was potty trained, I had sold all the diapers and realized we still needed some for night time, ha!

I've had 2 different washers - one was a HE front load program-it all fancy type at my mom's house and the other an old school turn the dial and pull.

With both this is basically what I did:

Cold Rinse
Pre Wash with a bit of a soak of a squirt of BioKleen if we had stinkies
Extra Long Hot Wash (longer on the HE - more of a double wash)
Cold Rinse

Dry with heat.

Diapers I did not like: NanaBottoms and Grovia

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search