Video Games or Dolls ?? WDYT?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 1 Post By Kasey36
  • 2 Post By Kierasmom
  • 1 Post By Jessy_Ree
  • 1 Post By curlygirl77
  • 1 Post By amazing_love
  • 1 Post By AmyT
  • 2 Post By smashley8
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5
  • 2 Post By Kierasmom
  • 1 Post By Starstrydergrrl
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
My [just about 4 YO] DD loves to play with both dolls and video games. She loves playing educational [Match game, alphabets, numbers etc.] video games on my iphone . She also loves her Dora doll , doll baby ,Toy kitchen etc. I am always thinking that may be video games are not so good for her eyes and she may be loosing physical activity if she becomes addicted to vid games. So I restrict her playing with my phone . She goes to preschools anyways to learn her stuff. So she plays pretend most of the time at home with her kitchen/dolls , pretend reads books sometimes etc. I read books to her . She's very good at pretend plays and very good with her talking/reasoning . She is very physical as well and tall for her age.

Do u think she's missing the video game part?? Most of my friends' kids growing to be very tech savvy . My collegue's daughter is 10 and according to her she was born with video games and now is very tech savvy .

What do your young children play with mostly ?? Any video game supporters here ??

My Blog www.workingmaa.com
May 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Becca is the only one that is here with me in the afternoon (and awake). I let her play on my kindle if she asks, but that's only during nap time, and only when the other kids aren't here, and if I think she hasn't played too much. Otherwise I just tell her it's dead I think anything more than 2 hours a day is a lot, like if a 10 year old is sitting in his room all day playing games that's too much. It sounds like she plays a reasonable amount, and she's not going to lack anything from not playing more. PLUS once kids get to about 4th-5th grade they start them in actual typing at school, so if she'll get more 'tech savvy' then if anything else.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
For me I do not think it is good to do it all day long but if my son has been outside all afternoon playing and then comes in and goes upstairs to play and stays up there 2 hours or so I don't mind that. He is 8 and loves to play on my computer and my IPhone and at this point I think he can work both better then me!! lol I feel like it's good for him as long as I know what he is on b/c it's teaching him to type and search the net for kids games that he likes so that when he starts this stuff in class he will be ahead!
CoolMomof2 likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older kids play video games(only ones approved by DH and I), but that's the extent of their electronics. I don't allow cell phones, iPads, fancy(internet access) MP3 players, or unsupervised computer/internet time. I think those are adult things(no offense to anyone who believes different).

My younger kids have no video game time. I don't think they need it for now. There is nothing wrong with growing up without it if you don't want your kids to have it.
amazing_love and CoolMomof2 like this.

May 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My boys are 5 and 7..they get 30 mins of wii time a day..and they are limited to child appropriate games..I won't bend on that..My Husband and his brothers grew up doing nothing but playing video games and have nothing at all in life to show for their ages..My 26 yr old brother in law(who has a daughter) spends several hrs a day playing his PS3..Im not against them altogether..but we have very limited time..I don't play at all(I don't have the attention span)
CoolMomof2 likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My oldest two played video games as soon as they were able (and still do) and they are both straight A students. I think anything is ok in moderation, as long as you're not sitting them in front of the TV all day or using video games as a babysitter, I don't see the big deal. I don't really limit them on the weekends, as long as they've done their chores, but I find they will play for about an hour on the Playstation or the Kinect and then they'll do something else anyway without prompting.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hard to say since my son is only 2 years old. Right now heck no he won't be playing any!! He's far too young. I feel way too many kids waste away their day playing video games nowadays so i'm not a huge fan. I'm fine with it in moderation but know from experience once you get into a game its hard to put it down! Whether we'll buy new video games when my kids get older is still up for debate. I'd rather have them running outside or playing house or dolls or anything that keeps them active.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We let our kids have them. I do agree they can become addictive though, so we limit their usage. Our DS is very advanced for his grade level, reading way above his age and can run most electronics better than I can BUT he will go to the extreme if left on his own. We do supervise what he is allowed to play - mostly games geared toward learning in the young years and as he is getting older we still keep it very kid friendly. I think in this day and age they DO need to know how to run electronics, but even in our schools they offer computer class at least once a week, and every classroom has iPads, and computers. They use YouTube to learn to read and learn songs in the classroom. Even if you limit or deny the children access to these things at home they are still being exposed at a very early age.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

Last edited by AmyT; May 8th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
May 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_love View Post
Hard to say since my son is only 2 years old. Right now heck no he won't be playing any!! He's far too young. I feel way too many kids waste away their day playing video games nowadays so i'm not a huge fan. I'm fine with it in moderation but know from experience once you get into a game its hard to put it down! Whether we'll buy new video games when my kids get older is still up for debate. I'd rather have them running outside or playing house or dolls or anything that keeps them active.
You summed up my feelings exactly! My kids will definitely have strict limits when it comes to that stuff. Just from personal experience, I have watched my brother who is 14 years younger than me grow up playing video games since he was a toddler. He was 2 years old and could beat us at racing games! Now he is a straight A student, and loves math, but I do feel as though he has missed out on the childhood that I had. I was ALWAYS playing outside, riding my bike, having friends over, using my imagination, and then as I got older computers were introduced more. I didn't get a cell phone til I was 17 and I know even that was early compared to some of my friends. My brother spends most of his days sitting in his room on the computer. It doesn't seem to bother my mom, and he's a great kid, but just won't be the way things go in my house.
amazing_love and CoolMomof2 like this.

May 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family is very tech savvy. I am a computer tech myself. I fix, build, optimize computers. I love them! All of my children have expensive electronics. Most of their friends do as well (however that never affected my decision to buy them anything). My DS absolutely loves video games; but so does my DH! They play together quite often. I admit it aggravates me when DH spends $60 bucks each on the latest video games. But he works hard, so I wont complain. My oldest dds have ipods, e-readers, mp3 players, their own netbooks, digital cameras, and just got Sony Ericsson Android phones for Christmas. My DS has his own Xbox 360, a regular Xbox and Playstation (these are in a closet as he doesn't play them anymore), Nintendo 64, mp3 player, and a handheld PSP. My youngest DD has an e-reader (she actually just won it at school after being entered in a drawing for good grades), an mp3 player, a camcorder (she just got for Christmas), an Nintendo DS, and for her birthday (June 18) she is getting an Android phone (she wants one very bad). We also have several desktops and laptops that the kids can get on. As far as internet access that is monitored at all times. Computers are what I do, so I would never let them have free roam of the World Wide Web. If one of our kids get in trouble we always have the option of taking away their ability to play on any of their devices and we have done that many times. My children are older so that may be why my answer seems so much different from other answers.

I do not see anything wrong with technology and electronics. However, I would never let my children replace physical activities with electronics. They still play sports, play outside, hang out with friends, do their homework, get good grades, and are normal children
CoolMomof2 likes this.

Last edited by Blessed Mommy Of 5; May 8th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
May 9th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyT View Post
Even if you limit or deny the children access to these things at home they are still being exposed at a very early age.
Agreed, if your children will attend public schools. Mine don't.

Using a computer is a life skill and part of our homeschool curriculum. But they are not allowed to have time unsupervised(or unlimited). When my kids were in public school(I took them out 3 years ago) computers were not used often, and were not supervised when they were using them.
GiftsfromGod and CoolMomof2 like this.

May 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Kenny is very tech savvy, we are a very techie household. That said we maintain a balance, as much time doing other things as playing games. The one thing we bought him that I will always and forever endorse is a Leapster Explorer. Teaches them spelling/math etc in the guise of a game. Fun while learning, a concept sadly neglected sometimes.

I do find that it works out well, he spends equal amounts of time at home changing between activities. It has gotten to the point that I rarely have to time manage him anymore.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

May 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I think you have to balance the two. There's nothing wrong with a little game/tv/computer time, and helping them to learn technology. However, it can be a huge time suck and addicting. I think they are missing out if they are foregoing other types of play for video games, computers, technology, etc. There are definitely positives to video games; brain development and hand-eye coordination, etc.

But, learning to entertain and engage themselves is an important skill, too. Pretend play (done with toys, dolls, outside, etc) is crucial for not only socialization, but a different kind of brain development. I like that my boys can play outside or with their toys in imaginary and pretend play for an extended period of time. They can entertain themselves and don't need to have something or someone to engage them, they invent their own fun.

I think as long as you balance the two, she'll be fine!!!
CoolMomof2 likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; May 9th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
May 9th, 2012, 10:06 AM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Thank you so much guys !!! I love the vast variety of responses and sorry I could not respond earlier to everyone but I had been reading these and I love each and everyone of your opinions . It seems that I should at least not be skeptical of the letting DD play with technology . And of course balancing is the key . We already have only Friday night as a movie night . She goes to a full day day care so she gets a lot of peer to peer activities there . We are so crunched for the left over time that I think just too much about it and try to make it "perfect " all the time . Also I have 2 relatives of same age as me who grew up with only playing video games, addicted to it and with no other childhood memories . So I was like "no way I am going to let DD be addictive of this stuff " And believe me , she gets addicted to a game pretty fast and sometime throws a big tantrum if we want to stop her playing the vid game

Opinions of all of you really makes difference in how I am going to deal with this . I am thinking of starting a strict and definite tech - game time like movie time may be on weekends and will see how it goes .

My Blog www.workingmaa.com

Last edited by CoolMomof2; May 9th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search