O/T Moms of preschoolers HELP!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By smashley8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could REALLY use some advice on what do to about preschool for my daughter. Evelyn is currently 3.4 and due to start preschool this fall. Currently she has a 504 for speech therapy as she uses a LOT of jargon and has trouble with communication. (LONG rant on why it is not an IEP...) Anyway she goes to speech once a week now and will continue into preschool. Paige is 19 months old and baby will be here hopefully middle of August. We decided to keep her preschool with the same school district that does her speech. Originally I was told 3 afternoons a week was all they had available. This timeing stunk for us because being a one car family I would have to drive someone to work and drop off, come home, drive to preschool, come home, drive back to preschool, come home, and drive to pick up said person from work, and come home. Then I thought well maybe we could just do extracurriculars dance/gymnastics preschool mornings so we're not going out any extra days. Also doc appointments etc in mornings of school days too to utilize the most of our time. Then I get a call today that the AM is open for just 2 days a week. So now I'm torn. I want to do what is best for Evelyn but at the same time not overwhelm her. Baby will be here just a few weeks before school starts!! If I go with the AM program I am cutting out one day a week from 3-2days. Since her primary delay is with conversation I know socialization is huge. I'm trying to make the best decision for Evelyn's education and at the same time balance that with the needs of a 22 month old and newborn. WWYD??
May 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the 1 day difference. I am a speech therapist and of course I would recommend as much preschool time as she can get, but you also have to consider the needs of your family and if the AM is going to be better for you then that's what I would do. Also, she is still very little and will already be ahead of the game by doing any preschool at all. I have kids I work with who don't do anything before Kindergarten, or don't start preschool until they are 4. The 2 days may be a good opportunity to get her warmed up to the idea of school and leaving mom for a while. Plus, she will definitely get a ton of socialization during that time, and you have therapy once a week. You are off to a great start.
Kierasmom, momma_d and Risa like this.

May 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I would go to the mornings/2 days a week to make it easier on travel/car etc. I think with 2 days she will still get all she needs right now

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
May 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Super Mommy
I think doing mornings would be best for your situation. 2 days a week isn't bad at all, she will still get all the socialization she needs and it will be easier on you when the baby comes.

May 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whatever makes it easier on you will be best Any school that can continue therapy is better than none!
Sebastian will be going to school 4 days a week starting this fall, also in the morning, but he gets ot/speech and early childhood right now. (I know how the 504 works though because my older daughter gets OT but does not need the speech part). It is easier on me because he gets bussed.

May 8th, 2012, 05:02 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I highly recommend pre-k, in general, in seeing the huge advancement made through my oldest two because of it. However, I don't think that 3 days vs 2 will be a huge deal at her age. I think you should do whatever is going to be the easiest on you and your family. If it's 2 mornings a week, then so be it!!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree! Do what works best for your family! Don't beat yourself up over one day. Especially if she is already in other things like speech/gymnastics, she is getting socialization there too!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search