Going natural at a intervene happy hospital

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5
  • 1 Post By MrsTiffy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
I found out today from my midwife that the military hospital I'm supposed to deliver at likes to intervene a lot... they don't like women to labor long and will push for pitocin even when not needed. I'm not happy about this and now nervous. I had a horrifying experience with my last epidural and refuse to risk another repeat. Because I'm going natural I want to be able to walk and labor how I see fit but can't do that if they are strapping me to machines or sticking IVs in me. The hospital is 20 minutes away but through a tunnel and can be up to 2+ hours during traffic, not to mention that Sept is hurricane season so the tunnel could be closed all together (if this was the case I can go to another hospital, but can't unless it is a situation like this). I don't want to give birth in the van or on the lawn of the hospital (that happened a few months ago lol) but now that I know they will want to get me in and out so to speak as quick as possible, I don't want to go to the hospital until I'm close to delivering. Any ideas?

May 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would see if there was someplace close that I could walk around (a park, mall, etc.) while I was still fairly early on. When things really get going then you could go on in...that way you would be close and wouldn't have to worry about the tunnel and traveling. Hopefully by then you will be far enough into labor that they won't have to intervene. Or you could always just go in a different entrance of the hospital and walk around there, they don't have to admit you until you go up to them and say "hey I'm in labor and here to have this baby"

May 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Amy has very good ideas. I just want to add to just remember you have the final say. They cannot force you into anything. Will your midwife be the one delivering your baby? Hopefully if you let her know how you feel about this, she can help you stand your ground.
Stepp_Ann likes this.

May 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Could you hire a doula? They can be awesome at getting you through early labor and then recognizing when it is time to go to the hospital. They are also there to be your advocate in the hospital and help you get what you want. Many offer military discounts or free services to military families.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

May 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is exactly why I've decided not to deliver at our military hospital

Make sure you have someone present who you are confident will advocate for you, wheher your dh or a friend or doula, someone who can be very firm and tell them what you do and don't want. Sometimes in the throes of labour it's hard for us to stick up for ourselves.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 9th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Veteran
How about a nice hotel very nearby? You could be there in the early part and as you feel you are in the final stages you could just go withut needing to really commute????

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
May 9th, 2012, 06:24 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This one thing I am really worried about, our hospital is almost 2 hours away, not including traffic. OUr plan is to call the IL's in early labor, it will take them 2 hours to get here. Then Mike has to put the car seats in their car.

Then we will go to a hotel to labor in - there are a few hospitals about 3 minutes from the hospital.

When I think I am near or in transition we will go to L&D.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I would get a doula, or find a place near the hospital to labor for awhile. I am worried about the people at this hospital here because I don't know much about this hospital. I plan on doing a lot of research. Also one tip I got was when you are being admitted and get to labor and delivery you can ask for a nurse that supports natural birth. That could help. One thing I am going to do is when I think I am in labor I am going to bake some cookies to give to the nurses at the hospital. I want the nurses to like me because if they like me then they will be more likely to let me do it my way, and they will have some cookies to keep them busy. Lol.
3Sapphires likes this.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have the right to refuse care you don't want. I've had natural births in the hospital. They don't always like it when I refuse to do something they want, but what can they do. Make sure DH, or your doula know your wishes. Definitely consider a birth plan.

May 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to 3 boys View Post
they don't like women to labor long and will push for pitocin even when not needed.
This happened to me. I was already about 6cm along when they decided to give me pitocin. I didn't want it, but being in labor doesn't make you very good at advocating for yourself. They didn't even tell me directly, I heard the dr tell the nurse to give it to me. I asked "What's that for?" Dr was like "Oh, it's to make the uterus clamp down more."

I wasn't at a military hospital.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
May 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Super Mommy
That's crazy. My only natural delivery was at a military hospital and I WANTED drugs. I would just talk to your dr about your concerns now. See what kind of impresion you get from him. One thing about military hospitals is they are always changing because people are constantly transferring in and out so it may be different from what you have been told. Good luck!!!
May 9th, 2012, 02:08 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about getting a doula! Of course no one can make you do anything but it can be hard to stick up for yourself when you're going through it. If i was going to a hospital i'd 100% be getting a doula this time. In fact i'll probably get one going to the birthing center.

Decide what YOU want beforehand, get someone to speak up for you when the time comes and don't let them do anything you don't want them to! Oh and i brought candy for the nurses and it didn't help me at all. LOL.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search