travel cut off??

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw this on another ddc and thought it was a good question?

what is your travel cut off date?

I am having a hard time trying to decide if I should make the plans I want to or not.

Every year, since I was pregnant with my first we went to my BFF's house and then to "night in the country" it wasn't ever such a big deal because she only lived 90 minutes from us, and our hospital was only 90 minutes away if it was needed.

We've since moved, we are now 4 hours from her, and my hospital is probably 5 hours from her.

Night in the country is August 18, I'm due mid septemeber, I don't think I will go that early, but you never know.

I never get to see her anymore, and I miss her, plus we really love the fireworks display up there, it is the best we have ever seen, it would be our last hurrah before school starts. And I really want to go. But so much of me says it is a stupid idea.

---------

eta:

I did a google map look up, if we go, and I end up going into labor, even with a stop at my inlaws on the way to drop the boys off it would only be 3 hours to the hospital, which is actually less time it would take us to get there if I go into labor at home and have to wait for the inlaws to get here to baby sit, and then drive to the hospital..

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Last edited by 3Sapphires; May 9th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
May 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Super Mommy
Mid August is my absolute cut off date for short trips (2 hours or less) and I'm due September 12. I'll probably stop anything further than that a few weeks before- maybe 34 weeks? (Mainly because I've never made it to my due date, and last time I walked around in prodromal labor for weeks!
May 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have the money nor does DH have the extra time to take off for any trips this year but if it was an option i'd probably be willing to travel anytime before 37 weeks. DS came a week late and i'm not concerned about this baby coming sooner than full term.

May 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definately say go for it. Maybe bring your hospital bag "just incase". Enjoy it and have a great last hurrah before baby gets here!!!

May 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
My travel cut off was at 17 weeks when I started the progesterone shots. I have to get them every week, and I have to get them in their office. It is kinda a bummer because we were wanting to visit family, but at least we will save money by staying home. A week isn't enough time for how far we would have to travel to visit people, so we are going to be here all summer. If it wasn't for the shots having to be done there then I wouldn't be going anywhere after 25 weeks just because I started having preterm labor with my ds at 27 weeks. I wouldn't want to chance it at all. For your situation I don't think I would have a problem going to hang out with a friend. Just do like the other ladies said and take a hospital bag just in case. I hope you get to go and that you have a blast!!!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with DD no one ever mentioned anything about "travel cut off dates" and I didn't see any reason why I couldn't pick up and drive a few hours away to go stay the night with DH who was working and had a hotel for the night! I was just about 37 weeks and thought for sure I was not anywhere near labor. Needless to say, I went into labor when I was about a 3 hour drive from home and hospital and the nurses chewed my butt on the phone when I told them I had to wait for rush hour to die down before I could leave. LOL

I wasn't in hard labor, in fact, I didn't really know if I was in labor or not, so I drove myself home, and DH stayed to finish his workday just in case it was false. (yeah, we were pretty ignorant at the time! LOL). Needless to say, I am not planning on going ANYWHERE after 30 weeks after that experience! hahaha. I ended up crying the whole drive home bc the nurses scared me so bad, and I was so uncomfortable sitting and driving in my car for so long! I should also add, though, that if there wasn't any traffic, it would have only been about an hour and a half drive.

Sooooo FTM's, if you don't want to get chewed out by your office nurses, be sure to ask them to clarify what their cut off dates are! LOL

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My grandparents live 6 hours away and we go up to visit them every summer. This year we're going earlier than normal (memorial day weekend). Nothing else is planned but our anniversary is August 20th. We would go to our favorite couples only resort but I don't want to risk it being so close to my due date, and I'd also like to save the money we would spend. So it's just going to be day trips for us if we do go anywhere.

May 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say see how you are feeling at the time and go for it! I flew to TX to visit my best friend at about 32 weeks. And we did a camping trip at 34 weeks. As long as you are feeling up to it and your doctor hasn't warned you that you could be a candidate for early labor enjoy a last hurrah!

May 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr originally told me that May 10th (which is my b-day) would be my cutoff but that was when I was expecting twins. As far as I know there are no restrictions on my travel now that I only have 1 healthy baby in there...BUT DD was born at 36 weeks so I definately won't be going anywhere after 34 weeks at the latest!

May 9th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a really good topic..It reminds me that I can't go to my 10 yr high school reunion because its sept 15th..5 hrs away..I'll probably have this baby by then and that is also my daughters bday..bummer

May 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I'm not sure! I always been comfortable driving the 4hrs to the beach late into pregnancy, about 36wks, or so. But, DH may have a business trip in mid-July coming up and wants me to go with him, but it requires a flight. I'm going to have to ask my Dr and MW what their recommendations are for travel, flight-wise. He's not sure of the dates, so I could be anywhere from 31-34 weeks. What do y'all think? It's not a long flight, maybe 3 hours at most.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 9th, 2012, 07:00 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmm, I'm not sure Katie, the airlines may even restrict flight that late in pregnancy, I think altitude can effect you and send you into labor...

I after giving it some thought. I really don't think I am worried about going to visit my friend for the day, like I said, if I go into labor there, it will actually be a shorter amount of time getting to the hospital than if we were home! haha!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Super Mommy
I'm probably doing no travelling after I move to Indiana.

May 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are being pretty careful with money right now so I have no vacations planned. But, my sister is due Aug 21st and she often goes a couple weeks early. If she delivered close to the beginning of Aug, I'd only be like...36 weeks, so I'd love to sneak a trip down to Tennessee to see the baby. It'd be about a 7 hour drive.
However, most likely, I'll end up needing to go before then, since we are trading baby stuff (two years ago, I had a girl and she had a boy...now we are reversed and so we are trading car seats and baby clothes). We need to switch our stuff, so I'll probably try to head down there mid summer...maybe I can catch her baby shower? We'll see......

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search