Is there any correlation between nutrition and hair growth in newborns?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
I'm having a hard time eating large amounts of food. It's way better than it was, but I still can't choke down the 90 grams of protein my father in law insists I eat.

He's convinced my husband that the proof of my failure as a mother will be evident if the child doesn't have a full head of hair when she pops out in September. He doesn't say the failure as a mother part, but it sure feels that way when he spouts crap about pregnancy to my husband. Just because he fathered 6 children he thinks himself an expert on pregnancy. My husband thinks the sun shines out of his father's butt so he happily nods along with his daddy's advice.

So no, I cannot manage 90 grams of protein a day... does hair growth in utero have anything to do with protein intake? I would love to have her born with a head full of curls so I can say "eat it" to my father in law, but honestly, I don't care if she's a cue ball if she's healthy.

My midwives don't have a problem with my eating so I'm not really worried about it. But I would love to find an article somewhere about hair growth in utero.

May 9th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
ummmmm i don't think that is true at ALL. Lots of very very healthy babies are born with no hair and don't GET any hair until they are one or older. FIL has some odd beliefs it seems

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
May 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had 2 healthy baldies! tell him to stick it!

I've read if you do have a baby with lots of hair, it is likely to fall out in a few weeks and their "real" hair will start to gro win. not sure how true that is, and since I have baldies, I may never know!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both of my kiddos had a head FULL of hair, and to be honest the only thing I ate the WHOLE time I was pregnant with DD#1 was sweets! She was a preemie but still 7lb10oz. So no I don't think that hair has anything to do with the amount of hair your baby will have. Genetics on the other hand, I believe play a HUGE roll!

And about the hair falling out, my DD's hair did that all except for 1 chunk which never did fall out (and was always longer than the rest of her head of hair) but my DS never lost the hair he was born with, so I guess that just depends on the baby.

May 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of this in my life! Honestly, next time he says it, I think you should ask HIM to provide you with a source that states protein intake has anything to do with newborn hair growth!

I did however, find you a few articles:
10 Rules To Eat By While Pregnant - Fit Pregnancy

Protein Intake During Pregnancy

Recommended Protein Intake For Pregnant Women | LIVESTRONG.COM

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
LOL! You ladies are great, I feel a lot better about the whole thing. I'm checking on those links right now.

May 10th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first son was very hairy... because he was 5 weeks early, most of that hair was not on his head lol

My other kids had 'average' hair I'd say, just the feathery stuff that barely covers their head. We are huge meat eaters here. The protein must not have made it to the baby

May 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Yeah, I have to agree with the other ladies that there's no correlation. I ate very healthily with my pregnancies, and DS1 and 3 were bald at birth. DS2 had a little bit of hair, but it all fell out after a few weeks and he was absolutely bald until about a year or so!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
I read somewhere today (have naturally forgotten where of course) that there is a link between heartburn and hair lol.

But of course it is all conjecture and no actual proof of either of these things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search