moms of older kiddos

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5
  • 2 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By AmyT
  • 1 Post By amazing_love
  • 1 Post By nroundtr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my oldest is in pre-k. I asked a few mom friends on facebook if they gave end of the year teacher gifts and they told me no.

is this still an appropriate thing to do? I remember up to probably 3rd grade I gave my teachers a Christmas gift and end of the year gift.

Since today is the end of teacher appreciation week and next week is going to be crazy with field trips and end of school stuff, I got a small african violet for each of the teachers and helpers. I hope this is a nice gift. I looked at little apple note pads and such, but they were $6 each, the violets were only $3 each.

anyway, are you sending in something for your kiddos teachers? and what are you sending if you are.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have never done end of the year gifts, but I think it is a very sweet and kind idea! We always do Christmas gifts for the teachers as well as an in between gift. The in between gift we usually do at some point throughout the school year and it is always "lunch on us". We pay for something to be delivered for the teacher's lunch. Usually a hot sandwich and drink (this year we did philly steak). The kids will let their teacher know the day before that they would like to surprise them with lunch the next day, to make sure they do not have plans. It has always been a huge hit, and the teachers have always seemed very appreciative

I think the African violets are a sweet and caring gift! I love the idea!! Now you have me wondering if i should be sending in end of the year gifts!!
nroundtr likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Jessica's teacher loves the Twilight series. Jessica picked out a movie poster for her of Edward. (She wanted to send something she would truly enjoy.) Then she drew a card for her, as she really loves being artistic.

As for my son's kindergarten teacher, she is a nasty woman, and she gets nothing.
CaliMommy and nroundtr like this.

May 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are going to do an end of the year present but I haven't figured out what yet. In preK DS picked out a potted plant and a little candle for his teacher. I think the violets sound like a wonderful idea We are also going to get a little something for the bus driver since I was so sick he adjusted his route and dropped DS off at our driveway this semester so I wouldn't have to walk down the block to get him! I figure that deserves a gift card to a restaurant or something like that
3Sapphires likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My oldest two are in elementary school and DD3 is in prek. I was thinking of a small plant as well. We have 5 teachers total.

May 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never done either. Usually at Christmas time we are super short on money so I haven't been able to afford a gift for all the teachers. I did make a homemade craft for them this year, which didn't cost me anything. It's up to what you can afford, I"m sure the teacher understands

May 11th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
We are going to do a gift for sure.... We wish we could just have his 2nd grade teaher teach him up to the 12th grade!!! lol She is the best!! She loves Starbucks so I think we will treat her with something like that.

May 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My girls made cards, wrote letters and made them crafts. Our state has a no gift law so the kids can't give anything of real value.

May 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Super Mommy
My oldest is in PreK was well. I think the African violets are a great idea! Sabrina chose Tervic tumblers for her teachers and small insulated lunch bags.
We actually just got home from a luncheon that the PTA(not real PTA, of course, since it's PreK) hosts for the teachers. We take up a collection and each teacher gets a gift card, but she wanted to pick out something special from her too.
May 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm obviously not at that point yet but i think its a nice thing to do!
CaliMommy likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I don't have kids in school of course, but I think it's something that people still do because there are ideas all over pinterest for these kinds of gifts! My cousin is a school teacher and she does gifts for her son's teachers, so I'm guessing she would say it's a very nice and appreciated gesture!

Blessed Mommy of 5: I love the "lunch-on-us" idea! I'm going to steal it!
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
We used to do it at the end of the year but the school ban gift giving to teachers. The policy was put into place because it put undue pressure on families during these financially hard times. People used to give a bottle of wine, flowers, gifts of all kids. We used to give a 25 euro gift card to a book store. It WAS a lot! Thankfully we only had one kid in the school at the time! Now we have three and I am happy they ban it. We do MAKE lovely thank you cards though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search