Maternity Leave????!!!!!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I'm in Canada also and I feel so very lucky. I've been a little braggy at work about leaving this week, but I can't help it when I'm going to be gone for a whole year. It's going to make going back to work weird and I know so many things will have changed.

I feel really bad for you ladies who get virtually no time off, and even though 12 weeks is still three months, that seems like no time off to me.

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
June 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These posts always make me irate at the US maternity policies. With Emmett, I was active duty military at the time. I had to go back to work in 6 weeks (although I did get full pay for those 6 weeks I would have rather had longer with no pay....but military isnt eligible for the 12 weeks). It sucked because I went back to 12 hour rotating shift schedule.

This time around, I don't work enough hours per week to qualify for FMLA......awesome (sarcastic). I have zero protected time off and zero protection of my job (for maternity or medical issues or whatever). So I had to submit a letter of resignation to my employer.....so now I have as much "maternity time" as I want with no pay and no job to come back to. Sooooooo frustrating. I want to work and I think I contribute positively to the work force but so many things are stacked against you in the US.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

June 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have about 4 weeks saved up between regular and sick leave. After that, it is all unpaid. I'll definitely take 6 weeks off but will more likely take 8 weeks if I can. It's hard cause I make a high % of our family income so it hurts when I don't work. BUT we have been throwing money into our savings like crazy to prepare for this so hopefully it all works out ok.
Bookish likes this.
June 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I should have had her in Hungary!!! We have 3 years maternity leave, with about 34-40 ur pay, but still!!!
Here , i work for a small company, so all the time i take of, will be non paying. And not even sure if my boss lets me stay home for months, and then let me come back.But i work for less then bare minimum, so i can tell u, that i really don't care.I can always do what i did with my son, went back to my retail job, plus i got a job as a server, working grave yard, and actually made money,lol. Plus Hubby was working from home, so we didn't have to pay for daycare or sitters..i rather do that again. I do like what i do now, but i don't even make the minimum wage as a gross income, its sooooo not worth it,lol.
June 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Expecting #1
I get 54 weeks off and 65% of my wage I will be taking it all
Bookish likes this.
June 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Expecting # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg.luckynumber7 View Post

Reading this sure makes me glad we're in Canada. We seriously wouldn't be able to afford to birth our babies in the US. OH is taking the leave here as I'm a SAHM. I'm so excited! He gets 42w I think? Morning baby brain lol. & his work tops him up so he will be just under his regular pay. Plus health care is free here so we don't have to pay that while he's off. As we're part time farmers & he works full time this is a huge bonus to us. We will be able to get so much done on the farm while he's off & the help I will get with the other 6! I'm so, so lucky.
SOME Americans would abuse it and ruin it for everyone. And I'm pretty sure others who aren't even citizens would be "entitled" to it... It would not work here, unfortunately.
Nice system, though, from what I hear from you guys.
Enjoy it.
June 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I'm not entirely sure how you could abuse maternity leave - unless you abandon your child and claim you are still taking care of the baby.

Pinterest
Flickr
June 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Expecting # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrsgirl View Post
These posts always make me irate at the US maternity policies. With Emmett, I was active duty military at the time. I had to go back to work in 6 weeks (although I did get full pay for those 6 weeks I would have rather had longer with no pay....but military isnt eligible for the 12 weeks). It sucked because I went back to 12 hour rotating shift schedule.

This time around, I don't work enough hours per week to qualify for FMLA......awesome (sarcastic). I have zero protected time off and zero protection of my job (for maternity or medical issues or whatever). So I had to submit a letter of resignation to my employer.....so now I have as much "maternity time" as I want with no pay and no job to come back to. Sooooooo frustrating. I want to work and I think I contribute positively to the work force but so many things are stacked against you in the US.
Agreed @ 1st part.
And... 2nd part sucks.
June 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookish View Post
SOME Americans would abuse it and ruin it for everyone. And I'm pretty sure others who aren't even citizens would be "entitled" to it... It would not work here, unfortunately.
Enjoy it.
Well I'm not too sure Americans are much different than Canadians as a people so i'm sure if there's abuse it probably goes on here too. & you're only entitiled as far as i know if you're a citizen. & saying that we don't pay for medical is a misstatement. I happen to live in a province where I don't have to pay anything out of pocker or through an employer, but when I lived in BC we did. I seem to remember it being around 140 a month for a fam of 4. Otherwise it comes from our taxes.

As for the mat leave, that's an employment insurance coverage. So as long as your working you pay part of your check towards EI. Then when you're unemployed you can apply for benefits & they cover things like Mat & parental. In the case of parental/mat you have to have a certain # of hours in over the past year to be eligible. So not everyone gets it.

It almost seems barbaric for a country as civilized as the US to force moms back to work. It seems like a pretty simple way to invest in our children.
fairymommy likes this.

Last edited by omg.luckynumber7; June 13th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
June 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran
I have a home daycare so I will be getting paid through my maternity leave even though I won't technically be the one working with the kids. My mom and MIL will be each doing 2 days per week free of charge and then my substitute will be doing one day per week and I will have to pay her for that obviously. I'll be doing this for 4 weeks and then I'm closing my daycare for 2 whole weeks. All of which is paid because my parents are required to pay for my two weeks of vacation a year as well as holidays. (16 days with no daycare and getting paid!...I'm stoked!!!) After that 6 week period I can still use my MIL and substitute as needed if I'm not feeling up to being back full time. I'm thankful that I'll be getting my same income during this time I just wish I didn't have to have the daycare kids running around my house! Oh well I can always hibernate upstairs!
June 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookish View Post
Enjoy it.

I don't think there is any possible way to abuse this system. Either you qualify for it, or you don't. You have to go through a government application that will be processed to tell you yes, or no. If it is no, it is usually because you have not worked the qualifying amount of hours. Basically, if you work and pay your taxes and have the proper deductions for you EI, you will qualify.
It is an amazing system, and one I am so very thankful to have in place, and would love to see such an advanced country like the U.S, implement something similar that would allow you new mommies to spend more time at home caring for your little ones!!
By law we also have complete job protection, the girl who was hired to 'replace' me, knows she was hired on to cover my mat leave, and if, when I go back to work, there is only room for one of us...I am the one the gets the job and she will be let go. (I plan on going back part time, so she should be able to stay on which is good!)
laloda likes this.

Last edited by fairymommy; June 13th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
June 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran
Im a SAHM, but I also watch my niece when school starts (her mom is a teacher), so I will have about 6 weeks of just DD and DS until my niece starts coming again. My life is actually a lot easier when my niece is here though, she and DD keep each other entertained.

June 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
I get 8 weeks starting from day baby is born. First week is full pay than 7 weeks at 60% of my pay.
June 14th, 2012, 09:12 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg.luckynumber7 View Post
& saying that we don't pay for medical is a misstatement.
So true. In Ontario over 40% of our taxes go to health care and our tax rate is high. We do pay a lot of money for health care over the span of our lives, of course those who make the most money take on the greater burden, which is the point.

Pinterest
Flickr
June 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I already started my maternity leave at 38 weeks of pregnancy. Will have 2 months or about 8 weeks of leave. Wish I started the leave from the time I give birth, but I don't know when that will be
June 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow..i think I wanna move to canada. I started mat leave early because it was getting to hard on me(waitress) I have already been out of work for like a month and I am planing on taking 6 weeks off after baby is born. I get and will get 0paid leave since im a waitress. I also only have health insurance while im prego and 6weeks after because I am not offered insurance through work but dont make enough to afford insurance and make too much for state insurance. Luckily the kids do get state insurance. I will have to go back to work asap but until we should be able to scrape by with dhs income since summer is his busy time of year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search