Maternity Leave????!!!!!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran
How long are you ABLE to take? How long are you ACTUALLY taking? What % of your salary, if any will you receive?

I get 12 weeks with 0% of my salary

I get to use my paid sick days but I have virtually none because of a surgery/recovery/dr appointments I had back in September.

Because I will have NO INCOME, I won't be able to take the full 12 weeks. I don't know how long I will be able to afford.
June 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After delivery, it depends on how long my doctor writes me off on medical leave...typical is 6 weeks vaginal and 8 weeks c/s....but she told me that for twins she is willing to extend it a bit...to like 8 or 10 weeks...here's to hoping!!!

After my "medical" leave ends, I have to submit papers that show that I am cleared to return to work...THEN...it's up to my manager to approve unpaid leave (she says she will) for a certain amount of time...as long as she signs the form, my job is protected, BUT...it's unpaid leave, so....I have to pay health insurance AND don't have income during that time.

I've been saving and hope to take another 2 to 3 months in unpaid leave. The cost of COBRA during that time is over $2000/month for our family, so we will see what we can swing...

In all, I'm hoping to have 5 to 6 months off...but it will deplete my savings pretty much fully...
June 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have two more clients due before my due date. The last one is due two weeks before me (although she expects to go early based on her history). So, not sure how much longer I am working.

I'm self employed so I will not be making any money while I'm on maternity leave. I'm currently only taking repeat clients for the year 2012. My first client is due in September. Then I have one each month for the remainder of 2012. I'm not in a hurry to fill up my doula calendar. I told my husband that I want to just sit back and enjoy my baby. So he's trying to pick up odd and end stuff to make up for the cash I won't be making.

June 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I will have like 6 mo, but its all unpaid. I will probably try to take 8 weeks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBugMommyof1 View Post
After delivery, it depends on how long my doctor writes me off on medical leave...typical is 6 weeks vaginal and 8 weeks c/s....but she told me that for twins she is willing to extend it a bit...to like 8 or 10 weeks...here's to hoping!!!
I'm hoping my doc will extend mine too. This is #5 so I anticipate it will be difficult for me painwise afterwards, but I think I will just tell her that I'm not emotionally ready to return yet. I wasn't emotionally ready at 6 weeks with DS, so between trying to build up a milk stash and making sure I feel ready is important to me.
June 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I think I will have about 4 weeks of paid leave (all of my maternity and sick leave that I have) and will probably take 6 off total. I took off 12+ with my girls but I had a lot more leave time then. I wish I could take more but I can't afford it and I am starting a new job on July 1st that I will need to get back to ASAP. I'm hoping that I will be able to keep my telework agreement and work from home 2 or more days a week. My Mom will be watching the baby, so that makes it a lot easier too.
THE angry uterus likes this.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
June 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
I literally just finished filling out my application for my mat leave as today is my first official day!! Here in BC, Canada, we get one full year off, and receive 55% of our annual earnings. As much as I gripe about what a pay cut it is, and how tight things will be, I know we are very blessed to have this available to us. I hope you ladies are able to enjoy as much time as possible at home with your little ones!!
omg.luckynumber7 likes this.
June 11th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Christin's Avatar William's Mommy
I'm in pretty much the same boat as laloda. I'm eligible for 12 weeks under the Family Medical Leave Act but only once I have exhausted my paid time off, which is about 2 weeks right now. I'm only planning on taking 6-8 weeks total depending on delivery method. It sucks and wish I could take more time.

June 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can take 6 weeks with STD after I use 2 weeks of my earned time. After that, I can take up to 12 weeks unpaid after I exhaust the rest of my earned time (which is another week or so).

My plan is to take 2 weeks earned (100% pay), 6 weeks short term disability (60% pay), 1 week earned (100% pay), then 3 weeks unpaid under FMLA which will total 12 weeks. Hopefully it works out that way since I've been planning heavily for 9 months now!
THE angry uterus likes this.
June 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
6 weeks at the most. It will depend on how I feel and how recovery is going. I am not elgible for fmla either. My leave will be unpaid, but that's ok. Like others we have set aside some money.

June 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I live in QC, Canada and one of the perks of our high taxes is a nice and long mat leave. I will be taking 12 months off - 6 at 75% and 6 at 55 % of my salary. Have to pay my insurance and put money away for retirement. It will be tough financially at the end as choices have to be made, but I will enjoy every single day of it!

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
June 11th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Expecting # 1
6 wks vag, 8 wks c/s.
full pay and benefits.
but...
I have to pass a fitness test around... Jan / Feb, I think.
and about that time, I can be deployed. Sooooo.... Good / Not so good. but nothing to complain about; I knew what I was doing when I signed up and when I got pregnant.
June 11th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
I can take up to 3 months off if I want but it's all unpaid time. So as of right now I'm only planning on taking 2 weeks off because there is no way in the world we can survive without my pay
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

June 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran
I work part time so I have no paid time off.. But I can take 12 weeks unpaid. The money I make is my grocery, gas and fun money, so I have been saving gift cards to where I shop. We should be ok for me to take the 12 weeks.
Bookish likes this.
June 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM
~*Amy*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in Canada too, we get 1 year paid maternity leave. I'll be taking 15 months off this time. I work for the Federal Govt, and they top up our maternity leave, so for the first 12 months I will be receiving 93% of my salary. I will be 3 months without pay for the remainder.
Bookish likes this.

Thank you cavewoman for my amazing siggie!!

Please don't mention on FB!
2 Angels in Heaven...Always remembered
Wanna go to Florida?>>>> MY FLORIDA GETAWAY
June 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I was working: by law you get 12 weeks allowed time off. 6 minimum for a vaginal and 8 for a section. Most places you use your sick time. When I had my daughter I worked for a hospital and had 6 weeks paid by short term disability.
June 12th, 2012, 06:40 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
These threads make me feel so bad for you ladies and make me so glad I live in Canada. I just can't imagine having to go back to work only 12 weeks after my baby is born.

Pinterest
Flickr
June 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Veteran

Reading this sure makes me glad we're in Canada. We seriously wouldn't be able to afford to birth our babies in the US. OH is taking the leave here as I'm a SAHM. I'm so excited! He gets 42w I think? Morning baby brain lol. & his work tops him up so he will be just under his regular pay. Plus health care is free here so we don't have to pay that while he's off. As we're part time farmers & he works full time this is a huge bonus to us. We will be able to get so much done on the farm while he's off & the help I will get with the other 6! I'm so, so lucky.
laloda and Bookish like this.
June 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
maddy and tommy's mommy's Avatar Lovin my precious kiddos!
As a teacher in a public school, I work for the city, so I get different benefits than a regular company. We are able to use our sick days towards full paid leave, up to 8 weeks. However, we can stretch the pay over 12 weeks, which is what I am doing.

This is all well and great if baby is born say, in April. However, since little guy will be here at the beginning of the summer, I kind of get screwed. I am contracted until September 1, and would've been getting full pay over the summer anyways, but now I have to use my maternity leave during the summer, which sucks. It starts when baby is born, so hopefully I can stretch pay through September, feeling like a real somewhat paid leave.

With that said, I am taking a full year off. We calculated everything carefully, and it's just not worth it given my salary and how many ridiculous extra hours I put in with teaching. I'd pretty much be working my butt of with other people's kids just to pay for someone else to take care of my two kids. Um, no thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg.luckynumber7 View Post

Reading this sure makes me glad we're in Canada. We seriously wouldn't be able to afford to birth our babies in the US. OH is taking the leave here as I'm a SAHM. I'm so excited! He gets 42w I think? Morning baby brain lol. & his work tops him up so he will be just under his regular pay. Plus health care is free here so we don't have to pay that while he's off. As we're part time farmers & he works full time this is a huge bonus to us. We will be able to get so much done on the farm while he's off & the help I will get with the other 6! I'm so, so lucky.
SOOOO love the Canadian healthcare system!!!!! Good for you! Very lucky, indeed and SO deserved.
laloda likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!
June 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Super Mommy
I will get 8 weeks off (since I'm having a c-section) at 66 2/3% pay. Then I plan on taking another 3 weeks of vacation afterwards. So, 11 weeks total. When I had DD I was wondering how we were going to make ends meet with only receiving 66% of my income, but it worked itself out. Not as much gas, didn't go anywhere to spend money- it all seemed to work.
June 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran
After reading this, I told SO we're moving to Canada!!! LOL. I'm so jealous!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search