Coughing can cause your water to break!?!?!? Dr appt today.*UPDATED*

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LovesTheRain

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?!?!

I was not aware of that. First my kids had this cough, and now lately for about a week it has been ME!!! I have no other symptoms, just coughing. I called my doctors office to ask what i can do about my coughing situation. While on the phone I had an uncontrollable coughing spell (this happens a lot this last week); the nurse seemed very concerned. The nurse said that uncontrollable coughing can be potentially dangerous because the pressure can actually cause your water to break!

Woah!! I was not expecting to hear that. That is just scary. Well, my appointment was Friday but now they moved it up and I am going in this evening. Hopefully they can let me know of some safe things to do to STOP this awful coughing!!

I will update when I get back home!

I did try the honey and lemon and sadly, it did not help

**Update**

All in all I had a good appointment As far as the coughing, my doctor said to take Robitussin. He also said that coughing will not cause the water to break unless the bag of waters was already ready to break. That is a relief because the nurse seriously had me worried. Maybe she thought I was further along or something, idk.
Guess what????
I did not gain any weight!!! I was actually shocked!! I have gained so much weight each time, I thought for sure I would have gained at least 5 more pounds I actually weighed the same this time, 156 So, hopefully my weight gain is slowing down!
I measured 28 weeks and baby's heart rate was 140. I found out I will get another u/s around 32 weeks; so they will schedule that at my next appointment.

Last edited by Blessed Mommy Of 5; June 13th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
June 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Super Mommy
I have never heard that either! Let us know what the dr says, because everyone in my house also has the uncontrollable, vicious cough right now.
June 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Super Mommy
You're in my thoughts and prayers!! <3

June 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of that either! And I have a weird barking cough that's killing me. Let us know what they say, I'm interested to hear how that works! lol

June 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I just got over a nasty case of bronchitis and the coughing was a-w-f-u-l and also uncontrollable. My MW wasn't too concerned about the cough at all, more just making sure it wasn't bacterial and she didn't need to treat with antibiotics, as well as keeping hydrated and keeping my fever down. She said that coughing can only cause your water to break if it's ready to, so if your body isn't close or ready to go into labor yet, it should be fine. Let me know what your dr says, though! I'm interested to see!!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

June 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoah that is odd! Never heard that!

I have a list of symptoms & approved medications from my Doc and I took robitussin when I had my cough. I tried everything else before I caved and got some but literally, nothing worked.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

June 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of such a thing.

my younger DS has this nasty cough, that just won't go away, I'm sure I will get it at some point.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

June 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so petrified of coughs right now. There have been whooping cough/pertussis outbreaks throughout the country and it's dangerous for babies. I'm hoping to be nice and healthy when he arrives.

June 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also have never heard of this! I hope your cough is better soon. KUP on your appt!

June 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I have heard of it happening with people that are being treated for preterm labor. One of the meds they give for preterm labor has a side effect of coughing, and sometimes they have to take people off of it because of the cough. Good luck I hope that they can tell you something to help with the cough.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

June 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow you learn something new everyday! I hope the cough is getting better to! I had coughs!

June 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Super Mommy
Wow! That is a relief that your cough wont cause your water to break this early. I was upset when I read your post. I hope that medicine works and you start feeling better.

WHooo hooo! About no weight gain this time! Im seriously hoping mine has slowed down as well, as I get full SO fast now, and cant eat much.

*Love and Hugs*
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.
June 14th, 2012, 09:24 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad to hear your appt went well! It makes sense about the water breaking IF its already ready. Yay for not gaining more weight! I felt the same way, i'm glad my weight gain looks like its finally slowing down!!

March 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I just wanted to share my knowledge on this subject. My daughter was due August 5th. She was born June 26th.
I had a particularly bad allergy season that year and I had the WORST tickle in my throat that caused me to cough very hard. This lasted for a few days and one night I noticed my water was "leaking". Each time I went to the bathroom, it seemed to get worse. I went to the hospital and was admitted. When the doctor came in, he said "So, you coughed yourself into labor eh?." They did a few tests and also noticed my amniotic fluid was infected. I don't know if one thing had to do with the other, but long story short, they put me on the drip to start labor. This was several years ago and my mind isn't the sharpest tack in the box, lol.

I hope this information helps. I strongly advise for someone who is in their third trimester to monitor any kind of cough.

(FYI: My daughter came 6 weeks early but weighed 4 lb., 12.5 oz., and would have been a chunk if carried to term. God works in mysterious ways I reckon).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search