34 week appt. today and not sure what to think

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrs.Julie
  • 2 Post By LadyBugMommyof1
  • 1 Post By THE angry uterus
  • 3 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By Special_K
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By hope71012

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
Special_K's Avatar Veteran
I had my usual Thursday appointments with my regular and high risk doctors today. All is well with baby and my GD seems to be under control. However, I was told that I am 80% effaced, at 0 station and not dilated at all. (I was last checked at 31 weeks, 50% effaced and closed.) I was thinking this is ok until the doctor said "If he decides to come, then he's just gonna come". Should I be worried that I'm gonna go into labor soon? I know what all the terminology means, I'm just not sure what to make of it all in a addition to the comment from the doctor.

June 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Well, a woman can go from zero dialation, zero effacement to full on labor in a matter of days. I think with my first that I was 70% effaced and 2cm dialated for about a month...With my second I was dialated 3cm for a looong time. And I would consider dialation more. So even with great effacement, with no dialation I wouldnt worry. Besides, you're far enough along that baby would probably be okay if she came in a week or 2.
Special_K likes this.

June 22nd, 2012, 01:30 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea what your doctor was exactly thinking, but my guess is something along the lines of most doctors won't try to stop labor at 34 weeks or more, so...of he wants to come, then they will let him My docs have said the same s/p 34 weeks.
June 22nd, 2012, 02:06 AM
THE angry uterus's Avatar TTC PINK
Maybe he just ment that if you go into labor now they wont stop it? 0 station means he's engaged, but you aren't dilating yet, so that's a good thing.
Special_K likes this.
June 22nd, 2012, 05:02 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Your cervix is very thin (80% effaced) and baby is pretty low at zero station. So, the odds are pretty high that your labor will be quicker than the average labor. With a thin cervix, when you start dilating, you tend to skip the one cm per hour rule and go faster.

June 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM
It makes sense that they wouldn't stop my labor if it started at this point, so I am going to assume that is what the doctor meant. I didn't even think of it that way....thank you ladies! Wouldn't it be nice if we could accurately predict when our babies will arrive? It would save us a lot of wondering and freaking out at least
therevslady and mrsshaffer like this.

June 22nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Your cervix is very thin (80% effaced) and baby is pretty low at zero station. So, the odds are pretty high that your labor will be quicker than the average labor. With a thin cervix, when you start dilating, you tend to skip the one cm per hour rule and go faster.
This is good to know since i'm nearly an hour away from the hospital! I was effaced early and had a short cervix with my last pregnancy and went into preterm labor at 31 weeks. Once they took me off the magnesium, my daughter arrived VERY quickly.

June 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Oh in that case, I'd head to L&D whenever you get ctx 10 mins apart or lasting about a minute long. I wouldn't wait longer than an hour after your first pattern of ctx's. You must have one of those "melt away" cervixes that happily give way to baby. Not a bad thing
Special_K likes this.

June 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like your body is just doing what it needs to be doing.

I have an hour drive and had a quick labor (although I was induced) with my first. My midwife said to call as soon as I had any consistent contractions and depending on the time of day, etc she'll have me come in.
Special_K likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search