Inducing tomorrow...Wants to know what to expect.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hope71012

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Super Mommy
No BBQ this year since have to go to hospital early to be induce tomorrow...kind of nervous and a little scared, cause unsure of what to expect. Any mommy can share experience of what to expect? I greatly appreciate it. Thanks

special thanks to .h00dihoo.this. for the siggie
July 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For #1:
We were told a time to be at the hospital. Got checked in, went to a room, did a bunch of paperwork and consent stuff. Took probably 30-40 minutes. They monitored DD for 30 minutes and got the IV set up. Then it was just waiting around until things got exciting.
Pitocin was started at about 8:30 and things didn't really get interesting until about noon. DD was born at 2:45. I had a mostly textbook induction until time to push.
choochoo07 likes this.

July 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the information. It just seems like a scary experience since its my first time being induce, when my first pregnancy came naturally

special thanks to .h00dihoo.this. for the siggie
July 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My story is a little different. With DD, we got to the hospital around 4am because my water had broken at home. They hooked me up, monitored DD, and found my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. After maybe an hour, the contractions didn't pick up so they had me walk the halls. Still nothing. Just before 9am my OB decided we better induce since you have to deliver within 24hrs of your water breaking and there is no telling how long induction may take. By 9am I was hooked up to IV Pitocin on they most minimal dose you can administer and by 9:15 I was having contractions one on top of the other. It was so intense and such a shock (for all of us) that it was literally taking my breath away. After an hour of laboring like that, I asked for an epidural. I was dilating about 2cm an hour and by 12:15 I was ready to push. I opted to wait it out as I wasn't in any pain after my epidural and the longer you can wait, the more prep work your body does on it's own, the easier the pushing becomes. Finally at 1pm I agreed to start pushing and by 1:20 DD made her debut after maybe 5 full pushes. It was a whirlwind for me, absolute madness how fast everything happened. I wish you the best of luck but at least now you know that it can happen quickly or it can be drawn out. Either way, the end result is amazing. Good luck!
July 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other ladies have pretty much said it all.

You may get an enema before Pitocin is started, just FYI.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

July 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
If you are scheduled to show up in the evenings, they are usually planning to use a cervical ripener before beginning pitocin. Most doctors and midwives use Cervidil, but some use cytotec. They will give you these meds, and offer you a sleeping pill to help you sleep through the night.

If you are scheduled to show up in the morning, or after you have had your cervical ripeners through the night, pitocin is started in the morning. You will be given an IV, blood taken, and you and baby will be monitored the entire time. Most care providers begin pitocin at 6ml/u and up your pit 2 ml/u every 15-30 mins, maxing out at 20-30 ml/u. Their goal is to give you contractions building up slowly that come every 2-5 mins, lasting over 90 seconds long, with a substantial peak. You will be given a cervical exam every few hours to monitor progress. If the pitocin is not dilating your cervix fast enough, they usually offer to break your water to speed things along around 4cm (the point where many women get "stuck" during inductions). This pushes you into active labor (hopefully), allows baby to put direct pressure on your cervix with each contraction, and moves things along.

You can expect to be monitored the entire time but you are free to use the restroom at your leisure (just unplug and go). If you are worried about wearing a monitor for the duration of your labor, just take a belly band with you to the hospital and use it to hold your monitors in place. They are a big help at keeping them where they are (given the baby doesn't run from the monitors, which many are known to do).

I hope this helps! Good luck

July 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Super Mommy
They put the gel in me after doing an u/s to make sure he was head down. Then later that day I got cytotec twice. My water broke after the 2nd dose, but I was only 1 cm dialted. Then they started pitocin. I was on that for 36 hours after my water broke and I only got to 4cm, so they opted for a csection.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search