Question about contractions

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hope71012
  • 1 Post By Mrs.Julie
  • 1 Post By THE angry uterus
  • 1 Post By *~*Ashley*~*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Special_K's Avatar Veteran
Should I be worried about contractions that are not painful?

I am slightly worried since I was told to come to the hospital if I have 5 or more in an hour and I have had quite a few tonight, but they don't hurt at all I just feel my stomach hardening. I never had contractions (not even BH) with my previous pregnancy until I was actually in labor and those were painful from the very beginning and I knew right away I was in labor.

Any advice?

July 6th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How far away do you live from the hospital? That would be my deciding factor on when to head in.

My contractions didn't "hurt" with DD until I was closer to transition and stuck on my back. I'd certainly give the doctor a call, but if you are laboring comfortably at home without pain and don't have a long drive, I'd stay at home as long as possible.

I've had some contractions, nothing I can time though. They are not painful, but they are exactly what you are describing. My belly gets super tight. I've had to breath through a few because my belly was SO tight and just felt the need to. Overall, its not enough to call my midwife or go into the birth center.
Special_K likes this.

July 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
I've had tons of bh in an hour. I'll go in when I'm in real pain. But I know my body well and I've had 2 already. My doc told me to come in when they get hard to deal with and painful not necessarily close together. But if you're due soon, it could be beginning labor, which I didn't even feel. Still, I'd stay home until it got painful.
Special_K likes this.

July 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had almost painless labors before, it wouldn't hurt to go in, the least they will do is send you home. I eventually made the rule with Oliver not to go in until I was spotting. Its a good thing I didn't follow that rule this time cause I don't think I ever bled/spotted, at least not until close to the end!
Special_K likes this.
July 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks ladies! I figured I would just know when it's time to go, but I tend to over think everything and end up worrying myself. I have been keeping an eye out for any indication that I'm in labor since my daughter was born so early. I'm a little less than an hour from the hospital and I am going to have to drop my daughter off when it does happen so I'm planning on leaving as soon as I know I'm in labor. As of yesterday, I was 80% effaced and dilated 1-2cm, so I'm guessing it could happen anytime. Still hoping to at least reach 37 weeks, which will be Monday so not much longer for my goal

July 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
From my experience last weekend in labor and delivery, they want contractions to be intense to consider you in active labor hence why they kept sending me home. Apparently I was handling them too well! I agree, though, if you live far away from the hospital you may want to take that into count. I only live 3 minutes away so I kept an eye on them and went in only when they got to be 2-3 minutes apart. Even then, they sent me home because they weren't intense enough. They want you to do the "hard stuff" IE: early labor as much at home as you can since it takes the longest. Good luck!!
Special_K likes this.
July 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*Ashley*~* View Post
From my experience last weekend in labor and delivery, they want contractions to be intense to consider you in active labor hence why they kept sending me home. Apparently I was handling them too well! I agree, though, if you live far away from the hospital you may want to take that into count. I only live 3 minutes away so I kept an eye on them and went in only when they got to be 2-3 minutes apart. Even then, they sent me home because they weren't intense enough. They want you to do the "hard stuff" IE: early labor as much at home as you can since it takes the longest. Good luck!!

Thanks for the info Ashley! Part of the reason why I don't wanna go to to hospital unless I have to is because we are somewhat far and I would have to pack up my daughter and my dog each time. I'd rather know its the real thing before we go through all that, but I also don't wanna risk having the baby at home or in the car! I have been having a lot of contractions lately. Last night I had 10 in an hour and they were painless. I was instructed to drink 2 full glasses of water, lay on my side and re-monitor for another hour. I did that and they calmed down. The waiting and not knowing is starting to kill me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search