delayed vaccine schedules?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By hope71012
  • 1 Post By hope71012

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For those who are immunizing and following a delayed vaccine schedule, what are you doing? I found a copy of Dr. Sear's schedule, but the only time I see hep B is starting at 2 years. I was going to start the series tomorrow...

July 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be waiting till atleast 6months to a year before starting and once I do ill do one every 3-4 months no double shots or mixtures

July 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did Dr. Sears delayed schedule with my son, but started after we left the hospital so he did receive the hep B.

With Arie we are I am just doing a regular schedule.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

July 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Super Mommy
I do delayed (1 at a time till about 4). I don't follow a particular schedule, I pick the ones to me that are the most important.

July 9th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do a delayed scheduled. We do one shot at a time, with the least number of diseases per shot. No mega combo shots...we separate out as much as humanly possible. We also spaced shots apart by at least 3 months. My daughter reacts very, very easily to shots.

We also don't do any shots during cold and flu season, when sick or showing signs of illness, and we waited until after age 1.

We didn't follow a certain "order" with shots though. We looked at what was required for school entry in our school system and went from there.

We are undecided for this baby with how we want to vaccinate (when to start vaccines). However, we do look at each disease/illness individually and decide from there. For example, Pertussis is more of a risk compared to hep B. I'd rather finish the DTaP series before starting the hep B series. Hope that makes sense.

July 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I ended up doing the hep B today. Hope71012, I wish I would have read your post first, I agree the pertussis is more important then the heb B IMO. I'd like to finish that up first as well. I guess as long as he isn't getting a ton of shots at a time, we can head in once a mo or so for extra shot visits. Hope he doesn't learn to hate going to the doc cause of it! LOL Maybe we can go to the health department instead...

July 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can always kind of mix up the shot series. For example, some shots require a 3-6 month gap between doses. During that time we'd give a dose from another series. We just didn't do more then one disease at a time unless it was something like DTap that can't be separated.

DD had 2 shots prior to one year (2 weeks and 1 or 2 month). One of them was hep B. We didn't give it again until she was 4-ish.

We spread her shots out and didn't finish until just prior to Kindergarten. We switched her to a new doctor when she was 5, but it was because DD just didn't "click" with the doctor. Nothing related to shots though! The new doctor could give her a shot every single visit and she would worship him because he gave her stuffed animal an exam (LOL). It was a goodness of fit issue, not a "i'm scared of the doctor because I remember getting all these shots."

I think the Dr. Sears schedule is a very good starting point for a delayed schedule and he does a good job of putting the riskier illnesses earlier. Just based on my own child, I would space out even more and do one shot instead of 2 at a time.
THE angry uterus likes this.

July 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So far I'm happy to say George handled the ONE vaccine very well, lol. No fevers, nothing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search