Bleeding after stripping membranes

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Christin's Avatar William's Mommy
I had a regular checkup today and she finally checked me and I'm 1cm dialated, soft but still high. I didn't know it, because she didn't say anything about it until afterward but she stripped my membranes during the exam. I would've told her no had she asked me. Let me tell ya, it hurt like a son of a 'monkeys butt'. I was shaking from the pain for a while afterward. Well I started bleeding during the exam and there was quite a bit on the table when I got up. I had a wear a pad to go home. I had the exam at 2pm, it's now 4pm and I'm still actively bleeding but it's not a lot. More like a light/(maybe) medium period. She said I would experience spotting but I would call this a little more than spotting. I'm cramping and my back hurts. She told us to go walking after the appointment so we went shopping and I had 1 good contraction as well. Is this much bleeding normal or should I call if it doesn't stop in (x) many hours? Thanks!

July 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
I think I probably would call before night, but that's just my opinion. They stripped mine today too, but it didn't hurt at all and I had no bleeding. But I was dilated 4 basically & 75% effaced.. don't know if that makes a difference?
July 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
I would probably call as well.....Call Labour and Delivery and tell them what happened.....They will probably have you go in and get checked and have the baby monitored.....
July 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
So I called L&D at 5:30pm and they asked about 20 questions and said that as long as the bleeding is not getting heavy, the baby is still moving then it's normal. The bleeding has decreased to what I would consider spotting and is turning brown and he is moving several times an hour. Thank you!

July 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
That is what happened to me with my daughter. I was bleeding and hurting so much that I went in the following morning to complain. As I was signing in, my water broke. It did bring on labor really fast. I was only 36 1/2 weeks.

July 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I can only hope it does bring on labor, I'm 39 weeks tomorrow.

July 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Regular
I had this done last Monday. It didn't hurt when they did it, but I too was bleeding and cramping afterwards. My doctor warned me - and there was also blood on the table when I got up. Cramping turned into contractions later that evening and I had my baby that night.
July 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say the more-than-normal bleeding was because she stripped you & you are only 1cm dilated. It's not an easy thing for them to get their fingers in there enough to strip the membranes when women are dilated, let alone just a finger tip (1cm)! She's crazy for trying IMO. I hope it works for you after all that pain!
July 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I lost part (if not all - it was quite a bit) of my mucus plug this morning and this afternoon, I'm still cramping up and spotting just nothing I would go in for yet based on advice from the nurse. But all that could've just been caused by the exam and stripping. We'll see, hopefully he's on his way before Monday because she said she wants to strip them again at my next appointment. Hopefully I'm more dialated by then and she doesn't see the 'need'. I'm know I can say no, but this kinda got my hopes up that he won't be really overdue and end up with a pitocin induction.

Last edited by Christin; July 11th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
July 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin View Post
I lost part (if not all - it was quite a bit) of my mucus plug this morning and this afternoon, I'm still cramping up and spotting just nothing I would go in for yet based on advice from the nurse. But all that could've just been caused by the exam and stripping. We'll see, hopefully he's on his way before Monday because she said she wants to strip them again at my next appointment. Hopefully I'm more dialated by then and she doesn't see the 'need'. I'm know I can say no, but this kinda got my hopes up that he won't be really overdue and end up with a pitocin induction.

I can totally relate. I am "stuck" at 3cm dilated, 50% effaced. My OB has stripped my membranes twice now with nothing more than minimal contractions afterward. I have lost my mucous plug, that I know for sure. I am going back tomorrow, two days overdue, and they are planning on stripping my membranes yet again and sending me for another NST. Based on things I have read online, it seems to me that my baby in posterior position making labor progress very slowly. My belly shape kind of "caves in" at my belly button which I guess is a tell-tale sign. Also, when baby is posterior there is less pressure on your cervix causing it to slowly change. Also, I have been having a ton of lower back pain which is another sign. I am going to bring my concerns to their attention tomorrow and I am hoping they will do an u/s to confirm. I am too far along for them to do anything about it now but it's good information to know going into delivery as a lot of posterior positioned babies end with c-section. My worst fear. Fingers crossed for the both of us that things start progressing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search