BTDT mamas - what was first stage of labor like for you?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By newmommysarah

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been looking through all the stickies in hatching's and wise mama owls and haven't found anything on early labor.
What did u notice first - waters going? bloody show? contractions? back pain?
Did u get back labor right away or all up front/down low?
Did you find it painful or manageable?
How did u cope with the pain?
What did u do before going to the hospital?
Etc.......
I'm mainly asking because a few of us have been having rather painful BH contractions lately (i've been having them all night) and i think it would help ease our minds if we knew what to look out for.
Mom2JDub and 1fabulousfem like this.

...and baby number 2
July 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
my labor contractions felt nothing like braxton hicks. I woke up at 4 am and was like "WOW, now that's what a real contractions feels like". I was really intense and it made me kinda dance and wave my arms like a crazy person till it subsided. I just wasn't prepared for it to be that intense. It was mostly in my back. I went to the bathroom and there was a good amount of blood when i wiped. That's when i was sure. I went and told DH. My labor continued like this for nearly 20 hours before i moved to active labor (calling out, not wanting to do this anymore labor).

wanted to add, in early labor i went for a walk, ate nutritious foods, and took baths. The warm water seemed to just take the pain away.

July 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to know, these BH's are driving me up the wall- my back is constantly aching, im getting contractions high on the bump pushing down to mid bump and then pains like an ache down below the bump. im sat here with a hot water bottle pushed up the back of my nightie to ease the pain. Hopefully they will stop soon so i can try to sleep!
I dont think they are painful enough to be the real thing though.

...and baby number 2
July 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
My early labors are like BH that radiate down into my pelvis like bad menstrual cramps. Not intense at all, but just kinda tiring. So, it's like a tightening up high on my belly, but then the menstrual feeling down low.

Should mention that my early labors are hard to distinguish from my prodromal labor that lasts weeks before real labor. So, I always have a hard time knowing when it starts. I guess it has to do mostly with consistency of time-able contractions.

For coping, I guess I like a bath. But last time I walked around Kohls until I had to sit during contractions, and then we went to eat before going home for the birth.

Last edited by mama4life; July 13th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
July 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Early early contractions feel like cramps to me too. I start out a little crampy then notice my tummy tightening. Then the crampy feeling goes away and the pain starts in my lower back, wraps around my hips and comes to the front. I always describe it as a slow burn. You can feel it coming, building up, hitting its peak, then backing off. At least that's how it is for me. That build up slowly gets worse and worse until you're in active labor. Oh and with my first there was no bleeding and I coped by breathing and squeezing a stress ball. With my second there was blood and that's how I knew it was the real deal. Bloody show is a good indicator.

Last edited by MosaicWife; July 13th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
July 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
For me, its like really bad pms. So bad I close my eyes and moan through it. Then it goes away for a few minutes. Then it happens again and again then gets so bad that I cant stand it. Thats when I will go to the big H.

July 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My pre-labour lasted weeks also. I was dilated 3 cm for about 2 weeks, I'd lost my mucous plug probably 2-3 weeks before actual labour and my water didn't break on its own. When I was 40 weeks 4 days I started having regular contractions late that night. They weren't too intense but they felt stronger than the BH I'd been having. The next morning they were still going strong and regular so I walked around the house, packed the last minute stuff in my bag and kept an eye on how the contractions were doing. I called L&D a couple of times for reassurance.

The contractions got stronger and were about 2 minutes apart so we went in and I had to walk the halls for hours. I was dilating but really slowly so they ended up breaking my water that afternoon and the nurse told me it would still be hours before the contractions got more intense. Well, 2 minutes later I felt my whole lower half contracting like mad!

I don't really remember how I coped with the pain at first but I did get an epidural several hours later.

This time I plan to try a bath and lots of walking and different positions to help labour along. I'd prefer they don't break the water again.
July 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I only had early labor contractions with my first pregnancy and that was almost 11 years ago.

I remember it was after midningt on November 1st, so I had been out and walking a lot the night before (I took my younger brother trick or treating). My doctor had believed I was going to go early anyway since I was already dilated to a (WOW) 1 at 20 weeks (LOL).

I slept for a little while, but had to use the bathroom a lot. I couldn't stay in one spot for very long, I was constantly moving around. It wasn't painful, just very uncomfortable. They did get somewhat more painful and closer to gether the more I moved around, but I couldn't sit still to save my life. I didn't think I was in labor, but I knew that we should go to the hospital anyay. By the time we got there (20 minutes later only because it was the middle of the night) I knew I was in labor. Astonishingly I did most of my laboring at home and delivered only 2 hours later.

Scarlett Diane

July 13th, 2012, 04:23 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My early labor consists of lots of diarrhea cramps, actual diarrhea to accompany that, bloody mucus and discharge, peeing a lot, and my contractions in early labor don't differ very much from my BH.

I was in early labor for 2 weeks in my second pregnancy before I was finally induced at 42 with cervidil (no pit, thank goodness).

I am enjoying a nice long early labor this time too. It stinks, because this early labor feels so similar to most of the labor I felt last time. Thankful to be having a homebirth in case things change quickly!

July 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
I had my membranes stripped at almost 39 weeks, I was already 3cm.. As soon as she did that, I was having period like cramps in my lower stomach, consistantly. Once I got to L&D hours later, the monitor was picking it up as contractions every minute, basically non-stop. They were more annoying then painful.

Once my waters broke, I had PAINFUL contractions almost nonstop.

July 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
My water broke late in the night. I leaked for about a half hour and then it stopped. That was it for several hours but I couldn't sleep because I was too excited. Contractions started as low period like cramps. I never had BH with DS that I noticed, or bloody show. They eventually became a tight crampy feeling; all my contractions stayed low and up front. I spent most of the time wandering aimlessly and on the phone. Eventually I had to stop and breath through them and we went to the hospital where I got in the jet tub. I was able to nap between them for a while until labour started to ramp up and things got intense. Early labour wasn't bad at all.

Last edited by Corrupt; July 13th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
July 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I stayed up literally all night long playing video games. I'm not sure if I was in denial or my hypnobabies worked too well or just totally oblivious... but it wasn't until we decided to go to bed at like430 am that I went pee and noticed bloody show and then immediately felt the pressure waves. They felt like period cramps or the nervous craps... and I wound up sitting on the toilet clearing out. We actually ran out of toilet paper. The very first noticeable ones were enough to make me want to be silent while they were happening, and they started (as far as I was aware) 5 minutes apart. I never had BH or anything during my first pregnancy. IT was all super obvious, and it happened the morning of my EDD.

I would have stayed home probably until transition b/c it just wasn't a big deal... but b/c my blood pressure was out of control I had to go in early so I went in within the hour. Transition was obvious b/c it was more intense and I began vomitting. Thats probably the point we wound have left for the hospital, if not for my BP.

July 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Early labor for me was more or less like my BH just a bit more intense with pulsating waves of pain in my lower back. I don't recall having bloody show, ever. And I only noticed losing my plug with Kevin, not with T. My water never broke either times. It's truly different for everyone. But one thing that always stuck in my head from last time was when the nurse explained to me that real contractions tend to start from the top and push down into your pelvis instead of starting from you bottom pushing it's way up your stomach.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

July 14th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This thread has been incredibly informative!!!
Thanks for sharing ladies!

July 14th, 2012, 05:04 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
For me, it started with consistent contractions ALL DANG DAY. I was watching TV to try and distract myself. Then in the evening, I started having to go to the bathroom a lot. LOL I've heard that some women get nauseous. I didn't get nauseous until more active labor but my body did clear itself out--this is normal too. I did notice that I wasn't hungry much at all that day, which is abnormal for me. I tend to get low blood sugar and have to eat often, but for some reason when I went into the more active stage of labor, I didn't feel weak or hungry at all.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

July 14th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
With Daniel my water broke before anything else. All I'd had prior to that was a few BHs, no early early labour for me. My water went with occasional "puddles" but mostly trickles, but it was pretty obvious that's what had happened, and being a first time mom who didn't know any better I called the hospital and they told me to come in straight away, and because my temp was raised they never let me go home. Wish I'd known then that it was safe to stay home for some time with broken waters (they were clear and I wasn't experiencing any other danger signs).

Anyway water broke first thing in the morning, nothing happened until later that evening when I started having mild contrax. They weren't at all painful, just noticeable tightenings, but annoying enough to keep me mostly awake through the night and I too needed to use the bathroom over and over through the night. They continued through the morning and then tailed off.

This led to me being induced on syntocinon later THAT night. At that point cervix wasn't even a centimetre dilated and was still pretty hard. Daniel's head wasn't even engaged but obviously they didn't want to leave me with ruptured waters too long. The contrax from the meds started within an hour and were completely different to the mild natural ones I'd had. They were so painful I could barely breathe through them, though I managed through into the early hours of the morning before caving into an epidural at 2-3cm.

I had no appetite during the painful induced contrax either though I had been able to eat and drink normally during the softer natural ones. I was 41+5 so I guess even without the waters breaking they would have been reluctant to let me go home and just wait it out.

This pregnancy is very different. I tend now to have at least one stronger contraction per day and am having a lot of swift, short practice ones. Every lady and every baby is different. Best thing to do is just go with your gut and call the hospital straight away if you get any definite signs or danger signs such as bleeding, strong and regular contractions, feeling faint/dizzy, or waters breaking with a gush, or green/brown discharge in the waters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search