question from the august ddc

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By fairymommy
  • 2 Post By JesusisKing
  • 1 Post By kemper2.0

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 02:52 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies i hope you dont mind me popping in but as only a few ladies in my ddc have had their babies and most of you seem to have dropped i was hoping you could answer a question (or five) for me.
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and am scheduled for an induction at 38 weeks. I've been told they will do a sweep first and i was wondering just to expect. My doctor did mention that i have an increased risk of having a section if the sweep doesn't work but he wouldn't go into details.
So i know he is planning on starting with a sweep and possibly finishing with a section but i have no clue what comes in the middle! Any of you ladies been induced? How did it go for you? Did the sweep hurt? Did any of you go into labor just from the sweep or did u need your waters broken? And whats the next step after that?

and congrats on your beautiful babies btw

...and baby number 2

Last edited by newmommysarah; July 21st, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
July 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
They should do the cervadil inserted to ripen your cervix, then start you on pitocin via iv to get contractions going. First time mom inductions can be long, difficult and unpleasant sometimes leading to c sections. You're basically forcing your body to do something it is not ready for and can thus be more painful. By the way, I was induced at 38 weeks with my first because of pre-e. hard contractions for 10 hours until I was dilated enough for an epidural. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I wouldn't change a thing, my babies life was in danger. But it could happen. My second induction my baby was over due, I had her less than 3 hours later and it was so easy and less pain. But obviously my body was more ready. It can go either way. Good luck!

July 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
Can I ask why you are getting induced so early? Membrane sweeping isn't really a method of "induction" per-say. My Dr did it first at 39wks, and then again at 40. it is just something that may or may not help speed things along/reduce your risk of going over due. lol didn't really work for me as I am now almost a full week over due oh well.
I am to go in to get induced tomorrow (@41 weeks) and being a FTM, am not quite sure what to expect aside from what other mom's have told me. But i think they will be starting with cervadil and going from there.
It's kinda weird that your Dr is jumping straight from a sweep to a c-section. Is your baby (or you) at risk at all? Have you had a complicated pregnancy? I would say do the sweep at 38wks (its not so much painful as it is just really really uncomfortable! But it doesn't take long.) and again at 39wks. If you haven't lost your mucus plug yet, the sweep should take care of that, and just make you feel kind crampy. which are all good signs of heading in the right direction to hopefully delivering your baby on your own!
You said your doctor wouldn't give you details, he needs to give you details because you need to know what is going on! Next time you see him ask exactly what his thoughts and plans are so you are both on the same page.

Hope that helps, good luck to you, and pop back in so I can let you know how my induction goes tomorrow! (unless I go into labor on my own in the next 24hrs...fingers crossed!!!)
July 21st, 2012, 08:33 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's because my first child was still born and I've had 2 miscarriages since then so the hospitals policy is to induce me. They were aiming for 37 weeks but i managed to get them to hold out an extra week (im hoping i can get things going on my own that week and avoid an induction all together) The doctor was adamant that im not allowed to get any closer to my due date than 38 and a half weeks - one way or another hes coming out then!

...and baby number 2
July 21st, 2012, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Since they'll be inducing you early they will likely start by having you come in the evening before for a cervix ripening agent. It will soften your cervix and make it more favorable for induction. They'll likely start pitocin the next morning. They may want to break your water at some point to try to help things along.

A pitocin induction with no prior births is more likely to end in c-section than if you went into labor on your own, which is probably why your doctor says it will end that way, especially since your body may not be ready at 38 weeks. But plenty of women are successfully induced at that point without need for a c-section.

Good luck and congratulations on your baby!
July 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
I said a prayer for you..
therevslady and Jenn1320 like this.
July 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry about your losses. I pray everything goes well with your labor and delivery!

With my first I was induced at 39+1. My induction started at 8 in the morning and he was born at 5:21. Nothing out of the ordinary happened and he was delivered safely vaginally.

With this one I was set to be induced at 38+1, but went into labor on my own at 37+5. I got a sweep done at 37+2 and I think that is what made me go into labor.

As far as the pain goes, the membrane sweep wasn't too bad. When it was being done, yes, it hurt pretty badly. It only lasted for a few second though and as soon as she was done it stopped hurting. It did cause contractions and cramps, but again, not that bad.

Good luck!
newmommysarah likes this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search