Breastfeeding woes; HELP!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AllyssaM
  • 1 Post By MissMeliss0522

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran
I'm in so much pain. I know it's because of improper latch. I know I'm supposed to keep breaking the latch until it's right but I feel like I follow all the "rules" about putting him on the breast. I feel like when he latches on properly, he decides to pull away and relatch on improperly. It's only been a few days and I'm already wondering how long I can keep this up. I'm thinking of seeking a LC to help me. Has anyone tried the Nipple Shield? I know it's bad but it's better than quitting. Thoughts??
August 4th, 2012, 03:00 AM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Popping in from Aug DDC - Get ahold of an LC asap, they can help you over the phone or in person and they can check your latch for you! I would try that before a shield, personally. The LC may suggest one once she see's babies latch and such. . . But deff get in contact with one ASAP!

August 4th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is he unlatching during your letdown? Gasping, clicking, unlatching, etc are some signs of oversupply and/or forceful letdown.

I have an oversupply. I usually have to hand express a bit into a burp rag. Latch dd. let her pop off to get that inital letdown gone (mostly foremilk) then dd will latch on and stay on properly!

The Medela lanolin is wonderful also! Use each feeding!

We also do block feedings to make sure dd empties each side. So, during a 2-4 hr period I just feed on one side then switch.

It gets better, hang in there!

August 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
For me, the first couple weeks were super painful when he first latched on, no matter how good the latch was. My nipples had to get used to all the activity. The lanolin is super helpful, it was instant relief for me. Definitely talk to an lc about your latch, but also hang in there for a few weeks, if you can, because it may get better just with time and practice!

August 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
I would totally get the help of an LC. They can be a godsend! They know all the tricks!
therevslady likes this.
August 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
~*Jess*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~*Jess*~
I have used a nipple shield for kalista and also now for evander. I have flat nipples so I need to use one. I have had no pain since about 2 weeks after he was born.

August 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Veteran
I used a nipple shield to nurse DS1 due to he never would latch on and it worked just fine. Was more of a pain to make him wait longer while I "set up shop".

DD I didn't have one ounce of problems for the 9 months I nursed her.

DS2 I've had all sorts of issues from day 1. He has a super powerful suck and tore my nipples to shreds. And now that my nipples have gotten use to it all I'm now faced with my letdown is hard and that causes me issues. I have learned that when my nipples are super sore I use a shield and use hydro patches until they are better.

My suggestion is def talk to a LC because they can help with so much. One thing we identified with DS2 is he has a little bit of tongue tied and that does cause mom A LOT of pain.....
August 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely call the LC! Because they can watch how he's nursing and then help you correct it. I saw one in the hospital just to make sure she got on the right track and it's my 4th baby. The LC had some really great pointers for me!

August 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Thanks everyone! Things are getting better. I pump a little before a feeding if I'm engorged. That's been very helpful. He's latching better and staying on and my nipples are a lot less sore. I've been using the Medela cream, as well. THIS IS SOME HARD WORK!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search