Breastfeeding questions for those who have BTDT

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As most of you know we are dealing with dairy/soy allergies and likely oversupply issues. I posted on the BFing board, but its a bit inactive (maybe FB killed it too...). I would like input for those who have BTDT on BFing. We are trying to decide what to do about giving formula or not. Only 1 of my 5 children received formula and that was when she was 7.5 mo old and cause I was pregnant and dried up. Anyway, the thread is: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...l#post26367684 (Wwyd?) We are thinking of starting in the morning, which is why I am in need of some replies.

Thanks!!
August 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have much advice. DD1 had a sensitivity to dairy, but we didn't realize it until she was older as it wasn't severe. It was when she started eating table food and LOVED yogurt and cheese that we caught onto it and went "ah-ha." She BM's were all normal BF baby, so we didn't think anything of it. She was always really fussy and gassy, but as a FTM I just didn't make the connection.

This time I am dealing with oversupply. I've done block feedings to make sure she empties one side before switching to the other (rec. 4-6 hours on one side, then switch). Pumping as needed also seems to help A LOT. I know I probably shouldn't pump, but if I don't then baby can't seem to keep up emptying each side if that makes sense! She's getting the hang of nursing better and getting a better balance of milk, she seems content longer.

How long have you been trying diary/soy free? I've read it can take at least 2 weeks to see a difference. Maybe try some gripe water or gas drops?

August 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey mama Jamie! So heres my thoughts:

Initially, the color of the blood would indicate to me that it originated further up the GI tract, indicating a food allergy rather than over-supply. Thus the fussiness and abdominal discomfort. That is my initial for lack of better words "gut" instinct lol

On the other hand, you very well could have over supply issues as yes this too can mirror the same symptoms, however the reason I don't necessarily believe this is it, is because you have seen improvement with eliminating certain items from your diet.

If I were in your position, I would not introduce the formula as of yet. I would instead pump and slowly introduce the bottle, as you stated he will eventually need to bottle feed at some point anyhow. Pumping will minimize the amount he gets at feeds and if this truly is an over supply issue, than pumping and bottle feeding should take care of that as you can alter your pumping pattern vs. you cannot change babies feeding patterns.

I think you are on the right track, you have a LC who is trying to be proactive in finding a solution, but I think if you do too much too soon you won't know what the problem really is. You have already seen such an improvement that it just may be worth it to stick it out longer, especially if you don't want to give the formula, because this all may just resolve itself now that you've eliminated things from your diet, his body just needs to catch up to it.

Heres my 2 sense!! Good luck hun
August 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your input and opinions ladies!
August 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What you're dealing with sounds a lot like my son. With him it was caused by oversupply. When you make too much milk the baby can wind up getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. That makes them gassy and can make their poop green and kind of frothy. We also had a blood streaked diaper or two with him. We never got him tested for allergies, but at 5-years-old now he doesn't seem to have any, so I think for my son it was all oversupply issues.

The best way to handle that is to block feed. Feed your baby on one side only with each feeding. If he wants to eat again and it's been less than 3ish hours, feed him on the same side that you used with the last feeding. That ensures that he gets plenty of the fatty hind milk and it will also help your body to know to make less milk and eventually your supply will level out. If you can, avoid pumping as that will encourage your body to continue to make too much milk.

I would try block feeding for a week before switching to formula--especially if you suspect dairy and soy allergies (since you'll be very limited for what formulas you can use).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search