Cloth diaper brand recommendations

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rinchan
  • 1 Post By bettyearl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran
Hi everyone

For the past week I have seriously thought about cloth diapering and last night I decided that I really wanted to do it. I know we had a topic on this a few weeks ago, but does anyone have any recommendations? I've been researching and researching but I still can't decide which I want to go with and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I was on the cloth diapering board and was still unable to make a decision.

I'm kind of between Bum Genius and Fuzziebuns. Possibly also prefolds. My husband is fine with me cloth diapering but he's not exactly thrilled so an easy to use brand would be helpful.

This will probably be a little compromised because baby sitters and family members won't want to deal with cloth diapers. Everytime I have brought it up to anyone, they make a face and kind of go ew, so when I am not with the baby I'll put a disposable on. (And I got tons of disposables from baby showers!)
August 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I love most bumgenius products. I have some that are 2 years old and still working. Hate fuzzi bunz though...

August 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a BIG fan of Flips. They are the only cloth diapers that worked well on my son. He's really long and thin so that makes a difference. They are very trim and were great!!

August 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never tried fuzzibunz or bumgenius to be honest..I started cloth diapering to save money and buying the most expensive diaper wasnt saving me money..LOL..I am currently using prefolds on my daughter with econobum covers..Ive tried rumparooz and liked them too..Kawaii is another popular brand and a lot cheaper but Ive had mixed experience with them..about half the time my daughter wakes up in the morning soaked through so Im not sure about them now..Ease of use and cost are two of the biggest things to consider when buying cloth diapers.Hope you find something that works for you..

August 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Bum Genius. They were really easy to use, and my family members who snubbed their noses at CDing even admitted they were easy to use. I think a lot of times family members just don't understand what "cloth" is nowadays and that leads to the nose-snubbing.

August 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use Kawaii one size, sized Fuzzibunz and prefolds with either econobums cover or wool. The Kawaii are the most economical and work just as well as the FB's. I love wool for the cuteness factor.

August 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I agree with the others about kawaii. They are awesome and so cheap. I also have sunbaby and alva. (all are cheapy chinese diapers)

August 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions!

Lol my mom thinks that I'll be doing what they did back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. She doesn't realize that cloth diapers are more high tech today! I'm starting to lean more towards bum genius. I'm mostly choosing to cloth diaper for environmental and comfort reasons. I've gotten so much money for baby supplies as a gift that I'm not too worriede about initial cost.
August 11th, 2012, 01:30 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family has been the same way to ha ha but thankfully both sets of parents are ok with our decision to cloth diaper.

I am getting the flips to use, I to did a lot a research and I really like them! I haven't been able to use them on baby yet but I find them easy to use and so does DH which is a good thing! I've noticed majority of people who use flips love them. I like the AI2 concept and it will be a bit cheaper to.

Bumgenius are a great brand to, I hear nothing but good things about them!

August 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran
I ordered some bum genius last night as well as a brand of pre folds (with cover) I also ordered two in a different brand just to try them out. We'll see how it goes! It's expensive to start out and these I had to use my credit card and not one of the many gift certificates I got, but that's ok. Everyone says that kids break the bank XD
alicenwonderland likes this.
August 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
LuxRuin's Avatar Veteran
I personally LOVE Green Mountain Diapers: Workhorse Fitteds and also Thristies Fab Fitteds and Kissaluvs Fitteds.

With Thirsties covers.

Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers

Thirsties Fab Fitted Diapers

Kissaluvs Fitted Diapers

I really want to try Blueberry Covers.

-Sarah

DD #1: 13yo
DS #1: 10yo
DD #2: 5 yo
DS #2: Born September 22, 2012
August 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I love Thirsties covers more than any other in their fit and containment. They are far kinder to the baby's thighs than many brands and can get a more snug but gentler fit. I have skinny legged babies and so this is important to me. You don't have to do prefolds with snappis - you can opt to just trifold and lay them in. Here's a prefold made exactly for that purpose I wish there was a merge between the Thristies Covers and the FLIP Covers, which I love for about 3months to potty training.

Covers + insert = less bulk to your laundry = more clean large loads of laundry. Also, it's less expensive, as you don't need as many covers as you do AIO/2 type diapers. And you can fit about 3 days worth of changes in a single drawer.

As far as Sunbaby diapers go (from China - super cheap) they are very good quality, but you have to wait 30+ days for them to arrive. I have the snap variety, not the aplix so I can't comment on that. I have not tried the inserts that go with them, just the shells which you can stuff with prefolds or whatever.

With any OS diaper, please be aware that if you have a smaller baby or a thin-legged baby they will NOT fit for at least a month, or more like 3. I know they all claim to be birth to potty training, but it simply isn't true.

BumGenious 3.0/4.0 diapers are fine - not much different from the Sunbaby diapers really. They are way too bulky on newborns. The aplix does wear out eventually, so I'd go for snaps for longevity.

It's nice to have some user-friendly diapers on hand for husbands/babysitters.

Quote:
I really want to try Blueberry Covers.
The Blueberry Covers have 2mil PUL fabric, which is pretty thick. I didn't love mine because they sort of cut into the skin more than I liked. They are sized to go over snappi-ied prefolds, so are really too bulky to be used according to their sizing for a lay-in style insert or tri-folded prefold.
alicenwonderland likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search