longer nighttime sleep?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairymommy
  • 1 Post By Kumii

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
E is a super easy baby and has fallen into her own routine which is GREAT! She eats every 3 hours on to dot around the clock. Sleeps for an hour to an hour and half on average between feedings which is also great.

I am really struggling at night time! I'd really love ONE 4-5 hour stretch at night. She eats at 9pm, midnight, 3am, and 6am during the night. The last few nights, once 3am hits I can't stay awake while nursing her. Which means, she isn't getting a good meal since I have a forecful let down and she latches/unlatches frequently. Usually takes 30 minutes to get a good feeding. So E is waking up again and I'm so tired. Last night, I just told Dh to give her a bottle of pumped milk at 5am-ish because I physically couldn't get out of bed and keep my eyes open. He did and I got to sleep until 8:30.

I don't usually get to bed until 10pm and I *try* to nap during the day, but its impossible with my 6 year old. She needs a nap, but it impacts bedtime too much and school starts in two weeks.

Is there ANYTHING, I can do to encourage E to sleep a longer stretch? Or get some more sleep? DH is home this weekend, so I'm planning on taking a nap to catch up a bit.

August 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I sleep with George in the bed with us and we nurse at night on demand... which I actually think is more like snacking on demand. I don't think he really empties a breast at each feeding, but he still wakes every 2 hours, sometimes he sleeps longer, like 4-6, but that's not common for us yet.
August 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
What I try to do to get Ava to sleep longer (she was doing the exact same schedual as your LO) is to wake her up to feed before I go to bed. She usually feeds around 9, and like you, I go to bed around 10, So when I go to bed I change her diaper which wakes her up, then I'll stick her on the boob and she will usually take a bit and then sleep until 2 or 3, instead of midnight. Lately she has been doing 10, 2 or 3am, and 5am which is a little better, and I get the longer stretch of sleep the first half of the night which helps a LOT.
gratefulmama likes this.
August 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
You can increase daytime feedings and maybe move them closer together to every 2.5 hours and that sometimes helps babies sleep a little longer. But at two weeks old, your babies gut and maturity might not allow more than a 3 hour stretch of time yet. Breastmilk metabolizes quickly and she just might not be ready to sleep that long.

August 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When your baby gets to 12 - 13 lb you can expect more sleep, but for now 2 - 3 hours sounds about normal. Try nuring in bed while laying downm this might help with your energy level.
Jakaira s Mom likes this.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
August 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
What I try to do to get Ava to sleep longer (she was doing the exact same schedual as your LO) is to wake her up to feed before I go to bed. She usually feeds around 9, and like you, I go to bed around 10, So when I go to bed I change her diaper which wakes her up, then I'll stick her on the boob and she will usually take a bit and then sleep until 2 or 3, instead of midnight. Lately she has been doing 10, 2 or 3am, and 5am which is a little better, and I get the longer stretch of sleep the first half of the night which helps a LOT.

That's kinda what I was wondering...would a "dream feed" get her (or me ) a few extra hours of shut eye?

She's still tiny so I know her tummy needs to eat every 2-3 hours. Plus, she's hitting that 2 week growth spurt.

I wish I could nurse her lying down. She doesn't want anything to do with that! She's such a funny baby...already has some strong preferences!

August 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So, I feed her at 7:30ish and again at 8-ish then put her to bed. She slept until almost 1am. *YAY* A 4 hour stretch of sleep for mommy!

If only the rest of the night went as good! Between midnight and 6am I only slept an hour and half And at 6am, LO went to DH and I slept wonderfully for 3 hours!

Now, to go nap while the baby naps and the big kid is out of the house

August 12th, 2012, 08:46 AM
maddy and tommy's mommy's Avatar Lovin my precious kiddos!
Sleep? What's that? I miss it . Tommy is still up every three hours if not sooner. I know that will change eventually, so just keep your sights on that!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!
August 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
mommyTTC3's Avatar Proud mom of 3 !! <3
Chase sleeps from 9pm - 1am and is then up at 4 , 6 , 9 am he only gts up tosnack and get a diaper change .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search