Braxton Hicks vs Contractions

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmyT

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my second pregnancy so you'd think I'd have things a little more figured out.

When I had Sullivan I had what I would describe as minor contractions or even braxton hicks for most of the evening. They weren't super painful, they weren't timeable, I wasn't even convinced I was in labor. I went to bed for a few hours and woke up at 1:30 because my water broke. I immediately started with very strong painful contractions every few minutes for about 1/2 hour. When we got settled in the hospital I continued with contractions but they weren't out of this world painful. I progressed pretty quick, etc, etc. As I got closer to being fully dilated they became more painful.

So my question is how do I tell if I am in labor?! I know much of the time your water does not break. With Sulli this was a good "get to the hospital" moment for me. Until I start to be pretty far along, my contractions don't seem that painful. (These could be famous last words) Its hard to tell if its actual contractions or Braxton Hicks. This scares me because I'm 45 minutes from the hospital and DH could possibly be 3-4 hours away for work. If I wait to long to figure it out, he could miss it!

Any contraction advice from other BTDT moms would be much appreciated. I know it seems silly, but I worry that I won't know that my contractions are the real deal in enough time. Honestly, I'm just praying my water breaks again, so I know for sure!

August 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking the same thing in some ways. My water broke last time and strong contractions started immediately so it was obvious. I wonder, if my water doesn't break first then will i still know for sure that i'm in labor? I hope so! haha. Since everybody is so different and each labor can be different as well I think you mostly have to stick with the main rule of are the contractions consistent and getting closer together? Do they go away or get further apart with water, laying down, taking a shower, etc? From what i hear that is the best way to know whether its real labor. If you truly in labor then none of that stuff will stop it. My midwife told me if i'm ever unsure to jump in the shower. If the contractions slow down then its not real labor but if they continue to pick up then its time. Hopefully it'll be obvious for us!

August 13th, 2012, 08:24 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the same situation as far as with both my other kids my water broke so I KNEW it was time. This time I've been having contractions (not regular) but they are getting more intense over the past 3 days! I've got a drs appointment tomorrow so hopefully he will be able to let me know if/when I should start to worry about making a trip to the hospital!
jennylynnf likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My water only broke once out of 4 times. I knew I was in labor from the painfulness of the contractions. Labor contractions have always been extremely painful for me. Braxton hicks have never been very painful. Just uncomfortable with a lot of tightening. I guess I never got lucky enough to have the real contractions be mild. They always hurt like *&^% and there just was no mistaking that it was the real thing! The only advice I can think of would be timing them. If they are coming at regular intervals then they are worth getting checked out to know for sure if it is the real thing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search