Storing pumped milk

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aubers68
  • 1 Post By rainbowfish

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you store your pumped milk in? I've been pumping into a bottle then pouring it into the NUK storage bags. It sort of drives me nuts because the bottle will say 1 oz and the bag will say 2 oz. I've noticed the bags typically say double what the bottle does?? Weird... So I've been marking on the bags, where I date them, the oz the bottle said. Anyone else notice this? Do you have a container you put your bags or bottles in? Or do you just put them in the fridge or freezer as is?
gumonyershoe likes this.

August 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
im glad you asked this...
i havent had my little one yet but this was something i was wondering...
bumping for answer

August 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got tons of the small models storage bottles from the NICU and used those for awhile, and then used the lansinoh bags. I didn't have an issue with the ounces corresponding. If you're freezing, I would suggest using the bags because it saves a lot of space.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Some things I do know Maddie, when you store it it's good for 8 days in the refrigerator and 6 months in a freezer. (longer in deep freezers) When you freeze it, always leave room for it to expand. You should always store it towards the back of the fridge(or freezer) and never on the door.

Oh and it if its a freezer compartment located inside the refrigerator it's 2 weeks.

August 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I pump straight into a medela bag. Refrigerate first until cold then freeze.

Scarlett Diane

August 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Mom to Madeline
I'm using the Lansinoh bags...so far they're working great. Also, Ive heard different responses on the refrigerator 8 day rule. I think Kellymom.com is the only site that says 8 days. Others say between 3-5 days. I'm doing the smell test before freezing. And when I'm freezing, I'm putting it in a freezer drawer with an ice pack.
August 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I too am using the Lansinoh bags. Don't have any issues with ounces not matching up. I didn't know about the back of the freezer versus the door, I need to change that right now. Thanks.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 25th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Medela freezer bags.

August 25th, 2012, 02:43 AM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I store the 2 freshest days in the fridge in the bottle I pumped into. then combine and freeze right now I am doing 2 ounce freezing bags but will soon do some four ounce (for later and when I will miss two feedings).
August 25th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Super Mommy
I pour it into an ice cube tray to freeze and then put the cubes in a freezer bag. My ice cube tray is conveniently 1 ouce per cube. Then I can pull out however many I need. I don't put too many cubes in a bag though because I mark w/ the oldest milk in the bag date and don't want to end up wasting.
magz88 likes this.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
August 25th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I too am using the Lansinoh bags. Don't have any issues with ounces not matching up. I didn't know about the back of the freezer versus the door, I need to change that right now. Thanks.
I myself was storing them on the door... then later read in an article that you shouldn't because its the "warmest" area of the fridge due to the opening and closing.

August 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Sometimes I pump straight into the bag if I'm going to freeze it. If I think there's a chance I might go out and MIL will be watching baby I'll pump it into a bottle and put in the fridge, then if it doesn't get used I'll pour it into a bag and freeze it.

I also haven't had any issues with ounces not matching up but I'm using bags that are the same brand as my pump and bottles.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I pump into either the medela bags when I have them or into a medela bottle then transfer to lansinoh bag. I've noticed that the oz's do not always correspond correctly. I will write down what it says on the bottle. I always write the oz on the bag because I store my milk laying down flat (takes up less space and faster to thaw under running water). I know some people may see this as a waste of bags, but I also only put 2 oz per bag at this point. When he starts eating more, I'll start storing in 4 oz increments. That way, there's no wasted milk.

August 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
I have yet to pump this time around, but I used to use those little plastic medela breast milk bottles. They're great because they're not too big and you can just throw the cover on and/or put the nipple on for feeding.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

August 27th, 2012, 01:27 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
What I have pumped so far, I have pumped into the Ameda bottle that goes with my pump, then pour into a Lanisoh (sp?) bag and I have noticed that the oz don't match. But I always put what was on the bottle.

So far my pumping sessions the most I've ever gotten was 4oz (that was one night when I had a bad stomach ache and I couldn't hold the baby to nurse him so I pumped and let DH feed him a bottle of previously pumped and frozen milk) but usually I only get about an oz. If I get less than an oz I don't bother saving it. If I get an oz or more I go ahead and save it though I too have heard not to put more than one or two oz in a bag to avoid wasting milk. I guess when I go back to work though I'll go ahead and put whatever I pump in a session into one bag though because I guess that'll be how much he eats at that point?

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 27th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumonyershoe View Post
What I have pumped so far, I have pumped into the Ameda bottle that goes with my pump, then pour into a Lanisoh (sp?) bag and I have noticed that the oz don't match. But I always put what was on the bottle.

So far my pumping sessions the most I've ever gotten was 4oz (that was one night when I had a bad stomach ache and I couldn't hold the baby to nurse him so I pumped and let DH feed him a bottle of previously pumped and frozen milk) but usually I only get about an oz. If I get less than an oz I don't bother saving it. If I get an oz or more I go ahead and save it though I too have heard not to put more than one or two oz in a bag to avoid wasting milk. I guess when I go back to work though I'll go ahead and put whatever I pump in a session into one bag though because I guess that'll be how much he eats at that point?

I don't know if you know, but I read this the other day online... if you pump say half an ounce(or less) at noon you can store it in the fridge and add it to milk you pump later on. You should make sure that both milks are chilled before adding them together, you don't want to add the fresh warm milk to cold milk. I was under the assumption you shouldn't add milk together from separate pumping sessions but I was wrong. Thankful I read that for times I do pump small amounts.

August 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I did not know that! Good to know. Also gives me more incentive to use the milkies thing.

I need to get on this pump and store thing. I'm paranoid about not having enough stored when I go back to work. Xavier just eats so constantly it seems. :-/ and even picking a time of day stinks since I've been enjoying go with the flow days.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 31st, 2012, 02:21 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I have Tommee Tippee bottles and a Tommee Tippee pump, so the bottles fit right on it. I just express into a sterile bottle, label it with the time and put it in the fridge (unless Michaela is waking right at that moment in which case she gets the fresh and I save what's in the fridge for later).

My electric pump, which is a Spectra, has arrived this morning. I am tired and sore today because I did a bit too much yesterday - unpacking and putting away which involved lots of moving around, bending and up and down the stairs - so I haven't yet been bothered to open it and take a look. I will do this afternoon. It comes with a container to express in and I expect I will express into that and then dispense it into a sterile bottle and continue as I've been doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search