Sore boobs ....

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 3 Post By mama4life
  • 2 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 1 Post By Pinkhighheels27
  • 1 Post By Pinkhighheels27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Mom to Madeline
My nipples are so sore right now. Especially the right side which is cracked. When Madeline latches on, the first 10 seconds hurts so bad. I'm using Lansinoh nipple cream and doing warm compresses....anything else that will help?

I'm dreading each session bc it hurts so much
August 25th, 2012, 08:10 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
You've got a bad latch. This is the link I used with Paxton. I had to work on his latch for about a day and all the problems disappeared.

Proper Positioning and Latch-on Skills | Ask Dr. Sears®
therevslady likes this.

August 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Agreed, cracked nipples = problem. Express some breast milk and rub it onto your sore nipples, also if you aren't too leaky let them air out a bit and get some time away from rubbing against clothes and stuff.
therevslady likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Mom to Madeline
Thanks, ladies. It hurts for the first 10 seconds, then it's fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong
August 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Super Mommy
I am inclined to say it sounds normal but I don't know what you mean by cracked....not sure if I have ever had that...

To me, the latch pain is at its worst in those first 2-3 weeks. I know they say it should never be painful....but I just think that anytime you go from nothing to someone sucking at you nearly 24/7... there is bound to be *some* pain. Week 3 is usually when my toes stop curling with every latch. For me anyway, it just takes time to get them toughened up..or softened up or. whatever it is. Try not to stress terribly about the latch....maybe her mouth just needs more time getting used to nursing and things will get easier. Time fixes a lot of these early issues. It cant hurt to check for proper latch though....I just wouldn't worry terribly much yet.

August 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Yeah, I know Jackson's latch is good, but I just think those first few weeks do lead to some pain no matter what. I've read plenty of resources and talked to the LC about how BFing definitely leads to some discomfort, no matter how great of a latch your baby has. Especially when you get to cluster feeding.

I can tell you that things are a lot better for me now, as I'm in my third week. I never got a crack, but my nipples were definitely sore and still are a little, but just a lot better than those first 10 days or so.

I also really like the resource that Missa posted. Just being comfortable does wonders for both of us when we're nursing.
Jenn1320 and Pinkhighheels27 like this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
August 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Most the time though, cracked/blistered nipples = Bad latch. Sure, some discomfort is normal but when it goes hand & hand with a cracked/blistered nipple, her latch most likely isn't good. Check out the link Missa posted and google/youtube proper latching. Air out as much as possible as well - I've read cracked nipples can be more prone to getting thrush. And you don't want that!

August 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Mom to Madeline
Thanks. I check out Missa's link and I'm following the guidelines...so I dint know. Maybe I'll see an LC if it continues.
therevslady likes this.
August 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
I have some sensitivity too. It could just be hormones. If your latch is good, it's probably just hormones and will ease up over time. Hang in there, it will get easier .

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

August 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
My right nipple is cracked all to heck. It's got a big ol' crack on the top and the bottom. I've also started salt water soaks (1/2 tsp salt in 8oz warm water) when I can after feeding on that nipple. Dab off with a paper towel then try to express some milk and rub it on the nipple into the cracks and everything. Then let air dry as much as I can. Then I put lanolin on it and let it dry some. If I can I just don't put my bra cup back and just continue to let it hang out and dry. But sometimes that's just not comfortable. And I'll tell you, I have soaked more shirts and burp cloths from doing this "let it all hang out" thing because I leak like CRAZY. With that routine my nipple has gotten a LOT better in just a couple days.

That being said, it still hurts like all get out when he latches. I have heard it should get better though and I really think once the nipple heals it should be better too.

Best of luck, hon. I know it hurts! I'm there with you!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 27th, 2012, 03:54 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
LLLI | Healing sore nipples

August 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mom to Madeline
Thank you for posting! I've worked on her latch and it's much better. But I still have 1 very sore boob from the improper latch. Hopefully, it'll heal quickly!
mama4life likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search