Moms who pump (and nurse as well)

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By 1fabulousfem

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you do it? I can't seem to get my stash built up. Summer eats so often that I'm always afraid to pump. I would hate to pump and then have her want to eat again. I've tried pumping right after she comes off the boob but hardly anything comes out. The past 2 nights we have given her formula, DH feeds it to her and I pump just so I can get a few bags for this weekend when my mother will be watching her while I'm at a bachelorette party. (I really don't want to leave Summer for a party, but as the matron of honor I feel I have no choice )I hate that I gave in to formula, but I'd rather her get a little here and there, then have my mom have to give it to her all night the night I'm away. PLUS we have a wedding coming up that I have to try to stash for... Share your secrets because I just don't know how you gals do it!

August 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I nurse one one side and pump the other. I also pump in between feelings. I already have 55 ounces stored.

I only pump the other breast if Pippa refuses to nurse on it.
lmunoz8517 likes this.

August 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Recently Summer almost always takes the second breast! It makes me feel like my supply is low and she needs it... I know I'm probably just overly worried, but I hear its a common thought for breastfeeding moms LOL

How long would you say it took you to get that 55oz? What's your average per breast per pumping session?

August 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help because I seem to make enough for triplets. at nine days old he is taking two ounces at a time and I pump seven each time. And we have given him one bottle or so a day with meds in it so the hospital is just freezing it for us. I'm not sure how much is in the freezer here, I guess I'll be surprised when we go home lol

August 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
aarafko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I 'm having a problem making enough. I think maybe I just need to get into a better routine. I just picked up a manual pump instead of my electric. My supply has depleted so much after using this pump I'm scared I won't be able to increase my supply. So far all I have is about 12 oz in the freezer and enough for her current feedings with the exception of her nightly feedings. I've been supplimenting formula but really don't want to have feed it fulltime.

May 2013 February 2014 July 2014
August 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I just read that the best time to pump is an hour after nursing. Finn also nurses on both sides. I just started pumping, so I'll let you know how that works out for me. LOL!
irunpink likes this.

Last edited by 1fabulousfem; August 26th, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
August 26th, 2012, 11:56 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do about an hour after a feeding. Try to do the same time every night, it will signal your body to make more at that time. If she does happen to want to eat right after I pump I just put her to the breast even if I feel empty. Milk constantly replenishes its self so even if it takes her a while to get full, she will get there. Oh and I leak about 1/2 an ounce per feeding from the opposite side then she is eating on when I am home I hold a bottle under it and catch it. May not seem like much but with just 8 feeds I have 4 oz ready to freeze (normal daily collection for me).
August 26th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Pippa favors my left breast and only occasionally wants to nurse on the right side. I get between 2-3 ounces per side each time I pump. It took me a week to build my freezer stash.

August 27th, 2012, 05:37 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The best time of day to pump is early morning or middle of the night too. So if you're trying every afternoon it may be better to switch it up a little.

Also a lot of people get much more with hand expressing.

August 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I choose one time every day and pump at the same time every day. Your milk supply will adjust after just a couple of days. I choose after lunch (around 1pm) simply because it's convenient for me. If I didn't pump after lunch, I'd do it after I put the older kids to bed (around 9pm). Pumping once a day is generally enough to build up my stash. I only need milk for births and occasional meetings, and I pump and save that milk while I'm gone which replaces what was used while I was out of the house. I don't have a large freezer currently, so I can't have a super huge stash. I try to get by with "just enough." For me, "just enough" is milk to last for about 48 hours (in case I am gone to a long birth).

August 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I've only pumped twice so far but I need to start doing it daily. I pump from whatever side he didn't nurse from after he's nursed. If he eats from both breast, which is rare for him, then I start with the side he nursed on first. So far I've done it in the early afternoon. I got 1-2 oz per breast so far. Oh and the last time I pumped he was hungry pretty much right away, I put him to the breast and he still nursed for 20 mins, after I just pumped for 15.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
yikes. I hadn't even thought about the fact that I need to start building my stash already. I mean I have pumped some because of an issue we had a week ago where he refused the left breast so I would pump the left breast after feeding the right one just to not lose supply. But I've stopped pumping now since he'll take both breasts.

I wish I knew how to pump while feeding him because I have heard that you get more if you can do both at the same time since both sides will let down at the same time. I need to start using my Milkies Milk Saver more regularly.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mom to Madeline
For my mid morning feeding, I give Madeline a bottle of pumped milk (to save time) and then pump for 20 minutes. Then, I'll pump again (I am right now...lol) after her afternoon feeding for 20 minutes. I don't get as much in the afternoon/evening though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search