Vit. D Drops?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By one.juniper

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
When we were BFing Elias, the doctor gave us Vit. D drops because he wasn't getting much from the breast milk. And now that we're FFing, some days he doesn't drink quite enough to get his full 400 UI, the doctor said until he drinks at least 32 oz a day to give the drops. But can a baby get too much Vit. D? If he gets say 300 UI a day from his formula, can giving him another 400 from the drops hurt him? We have the Enfamil drops and it takes a full 1 ML to give him the 400 UI. Can we give him like 1/2 the ML and make it 200 UI he gets on top of the 300 he gets from the formula? I thought I read that too much Vit. D can be harmful to the baby. We don't want to give too much. But he gets almost what he needs from the formula, just not quite there yet. Maybe another 2 weeks or so and I think he'll be drinking enough to make it up. Thoughts?

Last edited by TKbunny; August 29th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
August 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
My thoughts? The drops aren't needed. Emmersyns ped recommended them to her when we were nursing - We used them for a short while and stopped. Out here, one of the many Dr's we've seen the past few weeks asked if Adalyn is taking them and I said no. She says they aren't needed but some peds recommend them for nursing babies. Our milk DOES have everything they need - If you're worried, get him outside a little each day. Emmersyn is perfectly healthy and always has been, despite not getting the extra vit D when she nursed!

August 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Your baby doesn't need them. Our pediatrician tried to say my breast milk isn't perfect, and I need the drops. Not true!

August 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I haven't been consistent giving Finn the drops either. I'm already giving him those thrush drops 4 times a day. Poor kid!

August 29th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My ped said no drops if FF.
August 29th, 2012, 05:15 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyssaM View Post
My thoughts? The drops aren't needed. Emmersyns ped recommended them to her when we were nursing - We used them for a short while and stopped. Out here, one of the many Dr's we've seen the past few weeks asked if Adalyn is taking them and I said no. She says they aren't needed but some peds recommend them for nursing babies. Our milk DOES have everything they need - If you're worried, get him outside a little each day. Emmersyn is perfectly healthy and always has been, despite not getting the extra vit D when she nursed!

I disagree with you. First your milk has very little vitamin D in it because there are very few dietary sources of vitamin D, the only way you get it is from the sun. Second, I think it really really depends where you live. You live in Hawaii, so yes for your children I agree its not needed. However I live in Canada and its been a Health Canada standard since the '50s to provide children with a vitamin D supplement as even adults living as far south as Edmonton or further north don't receive enough sunlight in the winter months to meet their dietary requirements so how could a baby that rarely gets out in the sun do so?

I think you should do what your doctor recommends and base your decision on your latitude. My doctor is from Hawaii and only started practicing in Canada last year. He didn't mention Vitamin D drops to me at all and probably never would have if I hadn't brought it up, but wrote me a prescription when I asked about it.

Vitamin D is really important and prevents rickets so if your baby isn't getting a minimum of 15 minutes of direct sunlight a day (which I'm pretty sure is the recommendation to get your required vitamin D) then I would make sure he gets what he needs. On the other hand I don't think you really need to be giving drops to a formula fed baby at all so the point is really moot.
magz88 likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor is super natural minded...completely supports parents who choose not to vaccinate...doesn't do many vaccines for her own children...she's even crunchy enough that she won't have her own babies in a hospital , but this is one thing she still pushes. This was the first time I've ever been told by a pediatrician that I should get some for one of my babies. She stressed it was very important, which makes sense to me, I think. She said that culturally, we're just not getting the sun that people have gotten in the past. Technology, or whatever it may be, keeps us from needing to be out in the elements like it used to. I am particularly interested in what she said because I was found to be extremely vit. D deficient in pregnancy, which is terrible. No vitD basically means you get very little of any other vitamin absorbed. Anyhow, what she said made some sense to me, but like I said, no other doc has ever mentioned it to me and I haven't moved into a completely different region. With my limited knowledge on the topic, I do trust my doctor because I line up with her philosophy in just about every other area, so I may do it this time around. She told me I should just be able to put a drop on myself before breast feeding and he would receive it that way with less fuss. Haven't bought it yet, but I was planning to get some soon. Unless it's just an absolute hassle getting him to take it, I figure it can't do any damage. From the info I got from my midwife, there aren't any adverse effects they have found from Vit D "overdose". Not that I want to overdose him, but you get what I mean..

August 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I have the drops, supposed to have one on a nipple once a day...I have occasionally forgotten though. My doctor said to use them because we don't get outside as much, and especially living in Canada, its much harder to get the daily amount from the sun. It doesn't hurt him, and its not a fuss to get him to take it, so we'll continue with it.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I never gave any of my kids vitamin drops. Was never told to with my first two kids and they turned out fine. So when I was told to give them to my next two I just didn't.

Scarlett Diane

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search