Breast feeding & pacifiers?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By LadyCoconut
  • 3 Post By MosaicWife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
OK, so I know that breast milk is easier to digest and that it's normal to have a baby who wants to eat a lot and maybe even seemingly constantly. But I have been wondering if Xavier really just wants to suck. Last night, I swear, we nursed for like an hour straight on one side. He delatched and did whatever for a few minutes and then indicated he wanted to eat again (licking lips, chewing on his fist, etc) When I offered him the other side (the side he hates) he just screamed and got mad. If he was truly hungry, shouldn't he still be willing to go after the least preferred breast?

So I began to wonder, what if he just wants to suck? I mean he had eaten to the point that he had a major spit up (I always think that it means he was full to overflowing) and then still acted like he wanted more when it seemed like he should be full (even with the massive spitup)

I have heard it's not necessarily a good idea for a breastfed baby to take a pacifier because of nipple confusion, but I just sometimes feel like I'm at my wits end. Nearly every waking minute, he wants to be at the breast. Today I got maybe 30 minutes of awake time not on the breast so far.

Does it sound like he's really hungry or does it sound like he just wants something in his mouth? If so, what pacifier is the best for a breastfed baby?

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Emmett is taking a mam paci because that's what they gave him in the ER when he couldn't eat for like 12 hours. He hasn't had any confusion going from hospital bottles of pumped milk, to paci to the breast. Thank god! I haven't had a whole lot of choice as far as this stuff goes so I'm just thankful it hasn't been problematic. My DD wouldn't take a bottle or a paci.

Infants do have a need to suck. And you can usually tell from the short suckles to the long drags of theyre eating or comfort nursing. I can't see siggies from my app so I don't know how old your LO is. But it could be a growth spurt or just comfort nursing.
mama4life likes this.

August 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
He's 3 weeks. I don't MIND nursing him a lot but I have a very sore cracked nipple (his preferred) that I'd like to heal. (he has a tongue tie which we are hopefully correcting soon) so if he's just nursing to have something to suck I'm seriously considering a pacifier. Never thought i'd say that.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I gave in! Finn will take the paci. He is fine and trust me, he isn't confused. LOL! I only give it to him when it's absolutely necessary. The Soothie brand works best. Give yourself a little break. I went through what you're going through 2 weeks ago.

August 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I've been using a pacifier sparingly, for the same reasons you describe. He hasn't been confused at all. Well, he's kind of confused by the paci when he starts sucking it, but he's never confused by my breast. This is the kind we use.

August 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Pippa won't use a pacifier. She prefers daddy's finger.

August 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was anti-pacifier with DD, and now she sucks her fingers and there is no way to take them away. I have been using a pacifier as needed with Caleb. As much as I would. Love to sit around nursing all day, I have a toddler to take care of and I can't just let him comfort suck 24/7. We started out with the Tommee Tippee ones but now he prefers the Soothie ones.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Elias was doing the same thing for a while and our doctor told us he was using me as a paci. I didn't want to use them at all at first but she said it would be ok so we tried the same kind Adrienne showed you and Elias loves them. When we were still BFing, he never got confused at all. I only use them when he's supper fussy like after his bath or if he seems like he just wants to suck. He normally sucks on it for a few minutes then passes out sleeping. Just before he falls asleep he spits it out and won't take it back even if we try.

But I also know that there are times Elias was really hungry and ate/eats way more. They said it's him having a growth spurt. The next day or two he'll be tired and eat less again.

August 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I think I posted when Oz was three weeks about him constantly eating and it was driving me up the wall... I vote growth spurt. He was SUPER fussy at the boob at this time as well.

Oz hasn't really wanted to take a pacifier much, but he does every now and then (usually from someone other then me) and we haven't had any nipple confusion. I just bought one from the drug store that said newborn on it, I think it might have even been the drug store's brand. We have two styles, a basic nipple looking one and the orthodontic type. He prefers the orthodontic style.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 29th, 2012, 06:35 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
3 weeks old = growth spurt. Set yourself up on the couch mama, you're gonna be stuck for a while. But it won't be forever, just a few days then you'll find out he's grown out of his clothes.

August 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i use a paci on occasion. When i need her to wait a minute, out and about and such, i give it to her. If she's having trouble settling at night too... but not much in the day, she's usually genuinely hungry.

August 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have done pacis with some of my other kids with no issue....that said, I don't doubt that some babies use a paci when they should be at the breast simply for supply issues. I have had 1 kid who did fine with a paci all the way through.. no nursing complications. And then I had another baby who dropped from the 95th percentile down to the 15th for weight, and while I don't know if it was only paci related, he was a big time paci kid and didn't EVER comfort nurse. Nursing was only food for him, and I think my supply suffered tremendously for it. I couldn't make him eat though. This was also my kid whom I had to bribe at the age of 3 with a baseball helmet for him to be willing to give up his paci, "drug" of choice. Since then, i haven't done much with the paci. Although with my 3rd, my daughter, I tried and tried because she was a difficult sleeper, but she didn't take the thing until, get this, NINE months old! Nuts. But we did let her have it for probably a year.
I'll stop yammering....there's pros and cons to using one, but I wouldn't really worry much about the nipple confusion if that's your only concern.

August 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Adalyn has been taking a pacifier since we were in the hospital. I generally don't like to start that early - But after nursing for hours, I needed a break. She is now pretty attached to it. It hasn't messed up our nursing. And usually she will only take it for a while and spit it out, or won't take it at all if she's hungry.

August 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I couldn't live without the mam paci. There is no way I would get any rest if I didn't use one. He nurses just fine and doesn't have any nipple confusion. If he's really hungry he will spit out the paci and still cry. However, I have to agree with the growth spurt suggestion as well.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
My son never used a paci, we tried out of desperation as well, but he refused to take it. As a new mom we had latching issues in the beginning and I was in pain. I had to let him nurse until he was passed out cold and fell off or he would wake up screaming and I had to start all over again (he is still the biggest mommy's boy )

Anna on the other hand will take one, she is much more easy going than DS was - but we use it very sparingly, I don't want to make it part of any routine. If I just need 5 minutes to finish my dinner or if I am in the middle of putting DS to bed for the night then DH pulls out the "emergency plug" and she will usually fall back asleep after a few minutes with it - as soon as she is asleep we take it away. However she won't take it from me, I don't know if it's technique or because she knows I control the real deal but she will only take it from DH.

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
August 31st, 2012, 02:09 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
When I was trying Michaela actually on the breast using nipple shields, she would comfort suck without actually taking anything in. But it was easier for me to tell because you can see the milk gathering in the nipple shield. So yes, we've given her a Tommee Tippee paci, she likes it when she is hungry and waiting for milk, or after she's eaten and is settling to sleep. I don't have the nipple confusion problem since I'm expressing, though. But, Annaka, you have to keep yourself healthy and sane as well hon. You do need some down-time even if just long enough to grab a cup of tea or whatever - and you do need that nipple to heal. You shouldn't feel guilty about doing what you have to do to find that balance between your needs and Xavier's. You're both important, remember - happy mommy = happy baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search