We have a problem!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By TKbunny

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Finn is refusing to burp! The past few days he has been spitting up like crazy. I try to burp him when he breaks the latch from one side and when I try to burp him, he fusses. He then tries to attack the other side like it's the last supper.
Help! LOL!

August 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
The LC told me that I won't always get a burp out of a breastfed baby, since less air enters the equation. She said to try for a minute and if he doesn't burp, just move on. My guy has issues with spit-up, too, because I think I have a fast flow, and he drinks pretty vigorously a lot of the time. I might not get a burp out of him, but then he spews out of nowhere. He even chokes sometimes while on the boob. I think it's pretty normal, even if annoyingly messy.

LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He might not need to. My daughter never burped and never spit up. So burping now is brand new to me, lol

Also, what is your technique? Compressing his tummy would probably be more productive than thumping his back, kwim? Maybe you could switch that up.

Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elise isn't a great burper either, except instead of fussing she falls asleep!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

August 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Ive also heard you can move the baby's legs in a bicycle motion to try to get the air bubbles out. My little one gets gas and I just try to burp her in different positions to try to get it moved out.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

August 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Elias fusses any time I try to burp him. I think a lot of babies do. But if he won't give me a burp tapping his back, I rub his head in a circular motion with my fingertips and it works. I learned this from DH's mom who learned it from a Russian nurse when DH was born. I guess the nurse burped all the babies like that and it worked every time. It does work for me when nothing else will.

August 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKbunny View Post
Elias fusses any time I try to burp him. I think a lot of babies do. But if he won't give me a burp tapping his back, I rub his head in a circular motion with my fingertips and it works. I learned this from DH's mom who learned it from a Russian nurse when DH was born. I guess the nurse burped all the babies like that and it worked every time. It does work for me when nothing else will.
You rub his head? You mean like.. you massage his scalp? How do you hold him when you do this?
tryingfornumber1 likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Cameron rarely burps when I thump his back, he prefers being upright with small bounces. That said, he burps maybe 2 times a day max.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
The LC told me that I won't always get a burp out of a breastfed baby, since less air enters the equation. She said to try for a minute and if he doesn't burp, just move on. My guy has issues with spit-up, too, because I think I have a fast flow, and he drinks pretty vigorously a lot of the time. I might not get a burp out of him, but then he spews out of nowhere. He even chokes sometimes while on the boob. I think it's pretty normal, even if annoyingly messy.
I could have written this post word for word. I'm almost positive the spitting up is related to an oversupply/overactive letdown issue. It drives me crazy. But Caleb chokes when he's eating sometimes, and I can totally hear him chug chug chugging.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Adalyn isn't a great burper. . . I try but if I don't get one within a few minutes, we move on. If she starts getting fussy then I'll try again. I may or may not get a burp out.

Emmersyn burped fine but was a heavy spitter-upper.

August 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
You rub his head? You mean like.. you massage his scalp? How do you hold him when you do this?
I take my fingers and lightly run them around the crown of his head in a clock-wise direction. Just gently. Almost like I'm 'stirring' his hair lol. It takes a while sometimes but it does work for us. I asked MIL why it works, if the nurse told her the reason, and she said the nurse told her it kind of stimulates something in them almost like a pressure point. Not sure what that means but if it works, it works.
one.juniper likes this.

August 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I'm going to have to try it! Now if only I could get him to stop spitting up...

August 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
Lurking from July ddc & so glad I read that about rubbing their head. I have the same problem, and can't wait to try this!
August 31st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Michaela struggles to burp as well, and she is having mostly breast milk, but from a bottle, so she SHOULD need to get wind up. We try her on our knee then our shoulder, patting then rubbing. If she doesn't burp, we do just move on, and then sometimes she's a bit sick or gets hiccups for a while. We'll just keep trying until she "gets it"! I think she drinks pretty fast and needs to learn and realise it's better to take her time. Even when I put her on my left breast (the less inverted one which she can get a little from when she has the patience) she suckles really quickly. We always have tissues, a spare bib, and a change of clothes to hand - it keeps us sane!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search