Theo's not gaining

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 1 Post By TKbunny
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
This morning we had to go in to get Theo weighed. Well, he weighed exactly the same as last week. My doc is on vacation so the nurse had us go into emerg.

We were there most of the day. Basically he's fine but has lost 12-13% of his birth weight so I have to start supplementing his breast milk with formula for a week or so. If he hasn't gained by tomorrow morning we may have to stay in the hospital. Talk about pressure. I am pretty upset since I am either not making enough milk or I am feeding him wrong. I will make an appointment for tomorrow to see an LC.

I hope I can get him to fatten up this evening.

Wish me luck - I really don't want Theo to be in the hospital because I can't feed him properly.
August 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Did they use the same scale? Also, some babies are just slower to gain. I hope he starts putting on weight and you can avoid a hospital stay. You can't beat yourself up over it, though, as I'm sure you're doing everything you can. I bet his weight will start picking up soon.
magz88 likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
August 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Hang in there hon. I'm sure he'll gain soon. And ditto to what Adrienne said. You're doing everything right. And take it from a new mom who DID beat herself up over that same thing, it's not you and it WILL get better. As long as he starts gaining and is healthy, you won't care how it happens, hon. You're a wonderful mommy
magz88 likes this.

August 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I know its scary to hear that. You should speak to your actual doctor about your concerns I think.

I just had a visit from the public health nurse today who brought a scale with her and told me the hospital and doctor scales are often wrong because no one ever bothers to recalibrate them regularly.

Anyways, if it were me and I was told to start supplementing with formula I'd probably ignore them, unless he wasn't pooping or peeing or eating. But that's just me and I'm not recommending you do that. I just find it really interesting that there's sooo much pressure about weight gain. In the hospital they made us watch this video on breastfeeding and the doctor says half way through "Health care professionals today place far too much emphasis on weight gain and scales" and then the same day the nurses are giving me a hard time about how much weight Oz lost from his birth weight. I was like, mixed messages much?

Pinterest
Flickr
August 29th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
unless he wasn't pooping or peeing or eating.
That's the thing. He only pooed one breast milk poo and that was on Friday the 24th. I am giving it to him in a cup so none of us will think it's 'more convenient'.

My friend had actually brought her kids up from Guelph today to visit and I felt bad again because we only saw her for 1 minute before we went the hospital. It's a couple hour drive from Barrie and I felt like it was a waste of her time. She was awesome about it though. She just said: We live in a country with all these great medical amenities and they tend to be overly cautious.

I am feeling a bit more relaxed now.
August 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Hope all goes well and he gains.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I hope he gains for you.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
I am sure you are making enough milk, otherwise he would be letting you know

I wouldn't go the formula route just yet, try to encourage him to eat more when he is on the breast, tickle is his feet and stroke his jaw when he starts getting sleepy. If he falls asleep after just one boob, take him up burp him, talk to him, tickle him a bit and encourage him to try for the second one

If he sleeps really long during the day take him up after 3hrs to change his diaper that is guaranteed to piss him off and make him want some snuggle time on the boob

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
August 30th, 2012, 08:05 AM
He gained 10 g since yesterday so the pediatrician let us go home but we have to go again tomorrow to make sure it is still going up. Her threat of having to stay at hospital is still there. She looked at my log though and was positive about how it was going.

He is not really into the formula too much. He only took it 2x with any kind of interest.

The public LC is booking to September 10, which is a fair ways away. A public health nurse may be able to make a house-call though and if not I will go to the Early Years Centre next Wednesday where they have a drop-in - which I had planned on going to yesterday anyway but had to be at the hospital instead.
August 31st, 2012, 02:01 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
You're not doing anything wrong at all hon. This is just healthcare providers for you, sadly. (ha bitter much? me? ) Many babies lose a bit at first while they're getting established in their feeding routine. You shouldn't feel guilty about anything at all, Theo is getting the breast milk he needs and even if you're having to supplement against your better judgement because you're under pressure to do so, he is getting all the nutrients, immunity and goodness he needs to.

I am slightly supplementing with Michaela but only because I'm still training my body to make as much as she wants. It's different expressing rather than having baby on the boob, because you have to keep up the pumping regime, and when I was in hospital somehow around teatime there was never time to pump when really I should have done - with meals, meds and obs I was always being interrupted. So since I came home I have worked in one extra pumping time and my body hasn't upped its game yet. It all takes time.

Interestingly, Michaela also shows a real preference for the breast milk. She will drink the formula if she's still hungry and the breast milk has gone, but she screws up her face a little at first until she acclimatises to the taste, and she spits up a little on every formula feed.

Thinking of you and hoping your boy starts gaining well soon so they get off your back xxx
magz88 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search