Holding breath from crying n passing out or turning blue...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2012, 01:09 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
Sorry, I'm from the July pr, so hope you don't mind me posting this here also... but I'm really curious if anyone has any info on this!

Our little guy has been doing something that's been scaring me. He started getting very worked up, (from crying) like real fast and holding his breath till he turns blue or passes out. He's only 6 wks. old. DD1 would cry so hard from pain and hold her breath & pass out too, but never this young! I do have a Dr. appt. next week and he wants me to try to get a video of him when he does it. Just wondered if any of you had any thoughts or previous experience with that. He did have pneumonia at birth, so I don't know if it would have anything to do with that or not??
August 31st, 2012, 01:43 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
I hope you don't mind me posting from the Nov DDC, but my daughter did the same thing for the first time around 13 months.

She is 2 1/2 now and has done it around 10 times total? It is such a scary thing to have happen, especially when you don't know what is going on. The first time we called 911! I looked up a lot of articles online and I did take her to the pedi when she was 18 months old. What I was describing to the Dr. was the classic case of Breath Holding Spells that he had in a medical book (they are involuntary) Breath-holding Spells | epilepsy.com

My daughter would be so upset that she would turn dark red/purple and then her mouth would be open with no sound coming out of it, her eyes would go back then she would go limp. I could tell right when it was about to happen and I made sure I was there to hold her up and blow on her face. She would only be out for about 5 seconds and then start acting normal again.
I hope this article helps you as it did me. Definitely talk to the pedi about it!
August 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Oh wow I've seen babies turn red, purple and blue from crying but never passed out. That's scary I hope you can find your answers. Looks like the post above could be very helpful.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 31st, 2012, 09:06 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from the Sept DDC. I've never had this happen with my child, but it used to happen to me when I was little. I don't know what age it started (maybe 2 or even younger) but it lasted until I was 4 or 5. I actually can remember it happening to me. It was scary and when I got older I had a spell where I hyperventelated (and passed out) and I actually had flashbacks from when I was young and would pass out...it felt very much the same to me at the time. I think my dr told my mom back then that I was having seisures, but I grew out of it shortly after they told her that. It's scary but just know they will grow out of it eventually!

September 1st, 2012, 04:42 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Anyone is welcome on here to post questions or stalk friends.

I'm sorry this is happening, sweetie. I don't have any experience of it and hope your doc can get some answers for you.

September 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my, that sounds horribly scary! I hope you find some answers.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

September 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
Thanks so much ladies! The info I found at Breath-holding Spells | epilepsy.com

sounds right like it, (& right like dd1) . I just didn't know it could happen so young! It makes me feel like he could possibly get brain damage from it!??
We're pretty sure he has a milk allergy. He had blood in his stool. So I stopped drinking milk (wasn't real picky with other stuff that had milk in it) The blood went away, but now he's still getting these screaming tantrums, so I guess I gotta crack down and cut everything out!! It's in basically everything. I did it b4 with dd2, so I can do it again... right? sigh
September 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Oh wow! I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this! This would keep me up at night! How scary!

September 2nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
You'll get there sweetie. Stay strong. I'll pray for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search