Really frustrated (vent)

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2012, 07:24 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my biggest fear about bringing Summer home was our dogs. I was so nervous they wouldn't do well with her. So far things have been pretty great... until three days ago. Let me start by saying our large dog, Bentley, pretty much blows her off, acts like she doesn't even exist. Our little dog, Corona, is so interested. Always right there watching Summer and almost has like a protective side towards her. Well the past THREE days Corona has pissed on our couch. The first 2 times it was on blankets (ours, not Summer's) that were on the couch... so we've started pulling the blankets off the couch, and well, today she just straight up pissed on the couch. I'm SO furious. I know I have neglected her a little bit, but I try to acknowledge her and talk "pretty" to her each day. I even know there are times I'm sure they need to go out and I don't get to them... but I also KNOW that these dogs can hold their bladders for 7 hours, I know this because I used to work 7 hour shifts and they would be home all day and not go in the house. I just don't know what to do. I could NEVER get rid of her but this cannot go on. I guess I need to find some time for her, but I'm not sure how that'll happen when I barely have time for myself. DH wants me to leave her in her cage all day if I can't get to her, but I feel like that could make matters worse for when she's actually out of her cage. UGH... I feel like I could cry right now...

August 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
I'm sorry hon Sending you hugs

I know our dog was off when we brought Elias home. She now ignores him unless he's crying. But I will say that a few years back when we took her favorite toy away and threw it in the trash because it was all ripped up, the next few days she'd walk into DH's office and peed on his floor. She hadn't peed in the house for YEARS before that. She knew what she was doing.

Your dog might just be stressed out with the new baby in the house. I know I've heard others say many dogs go through this. She might not be doing it on purpose like our dog did with the toy. Try to encourage her to relax and don't scold her as this might stress her even more. And if you're stressed, she might be picking it up from you, dogs can sense these things. I'm sure it'll pass, but maybe leave puppy pads where she's peeing in case.

Not sure this is at all good advice, but it's all I can think of right now. Sorry I'm not much help.

September 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Mom to Madeline
She probably is stressed or is feeling somewhat "replaced" and/or a little jealous. I'd buy her a new toy, treat, etc. And try to spend some time w her (I know, it's hard).

My pup started peeing next to her pee pad instead of on it the first week (We let her outside, but use pee pads for back up). She finally just stopped!
September 1st, 2012, 08:16 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Sorry you're having fur-baby issues. I have them, too, though with my cat. She takes no interest in Jackson either, which I assumed would happen so it doesn't hurt my feelings. She has puked all over this house, though, and she refused to come out of our closet. We had to move her food upstairs so she would actually eat and drink water. She is gradually making her way downstairs on occasion, and she will look at Jackson with interest when he makes noises. If I try to introduce him to her, though, she sniffs a little and then walks away like she's pissed off.

I also don't have time for her. I promised myself that I would make time for her after Jackson was born, but it's just not a possibility to treat her the same way I did before. I feel terrible about it, but it's just the way it has to be for now. I'm just grateful that she's only puking and hasn't taken a negative interest in Jackson.

One of the women on the TTC #1 board has studied animal behavior, volunteers at the San Diego Safari Park, and works with animal trainers/behaviorists. She gave me some good tips prior to Jackson's birth but admitted that cats are hard to bring around. On the other hand, she said that dogs are much easier to correct. I imagine she could offer you some good advice. Here's her profile: JustMommies Message Boards - View Profile: kbpeanut. Her name is Karin, and she's super nice and helpful.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Our cats are perfect. We have 3 and one is super loving and affectionate, one is playful, and one is a recluse. The recluse, the one that ignores us the most is the one that acted out after baby came. Strange. And he peed on the sofa!!! 3 times! After that we started giving him LOTS of attention and love, even seeking him out since he is usually hiding. And it stopped completely.

I dont know about you but i refuse to live with an animal that pees everywhere. I had a dog like that once and had to give him away. It IS sad, but a solution must be found even if its in a crate. SORRY

September 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had Owen my cat starting peeing in the house. We took her to the vet and they gave her an anti-anxiety med, which didn't help, just made her loopy and she'd cry/mew non-stop. She also continued to pee. We finally banished her outside- really sad to do that, but I was at my wits end with cleaning up cat pee. And that smell is soooo hard to get rid of! She's honestly much happier now.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search