Restricted activity

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By Cylence
  • 1 Post By magz88
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By Corrupt
  • 1 Post By Cylence

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I. Am. So. Bored. Ugh.

I am on strict restricted activity for 6 weeks due to the cesarean, the fact that I also have uterine stitches and had such a heavy blood loss.

I'm not allowed to do the normal 6 week post partum stuff plus driving, even gentle exercise, standing for any length of time (so even cooking is out), walking any sort of distance, doing ANY housework whatsoever, carrying Michaela around, even pushing her pram or a trolley. I have to be careful how I bend, lay/sit down and get up. I'm supposed to sit most of the day with my back fully supported (we have a proper support cushion on order, in the meantime I'm propped up with pillows and a rolled up towel) and intermittently do pelvic floors and anti-DVT exercises with my feet.

I found out the hard way that they mean what they say the day after I came home. I unpacked my hospital bags and put stuff away and even that proved too much with bending, walking around to different parts of the house and using the stairs a couple of times. I ended up with a lot of pain and was utterly wiped out yesterday on the back of it. It's going to be so hard to force myself not to do stuff. I also hate asking Mum or Shaun to go to the shop for me or pass me things etc. I hate losing my independence.

I'm allowed to pick Michaela up, so I can do her feeds and changes, and of course I then express milk as well, so I'm usually occupied for an hour and a half each time doing that. But she sleeps a lot still and I can't play Daniel's rough games, though we do chat and have snuggle time.

What on earth do I do the rest of the time? There's JM of course, but sometimes JM is quiet and I run out of stuff to respond to or post. I did do some online shopping for baby girl clothes, but I can't afford to browse and shop every day! TV is a dead loss. I'm getting bored of magazines. I did plan to order the next two "Shades of Grey" books to read but that could be a mistake while I still can't have sex.

I am not crafty. I can't sew, knit, crochet or any of those things and I don't have the patience to learn. I have too much in the way of baby brain right now to do anything involving too much mental exertion. Anyone else on restricted activity or who was on restricted activity or bedrest during pregnancy have any ideas for keeping myself sane??

September 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Mom to Madeline
Oh gosh...sorry you're on restriction. Could you have friends come visit? Try new books? What about starting a scrapbook for baby?

Or do your readings?
September 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM
I probably will do some readings when I'm a bit more with it mentally, right now we're still trying to establish the night-time routine and I'm trying to strike my bed time right so I still get enough sleep between doing a middle of the night express and getting up with Michaela between 6-7am so I'm too tired.

I'm also not feeling up to visitors just yet but will probably invite some people over after a couple of weeks. A scrapbook is a nice idea, but I didn't do one for Daniel, just collected mementos in a box, and I want to do the same for Michaela, and will hand over to them as part of their 18th birthday present.

I might browse Ebay for some new book ideas.

September 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Do you have a library nearby? Pick a tv series and sign out the dvd's....I'm on season 3 of Grey's Anatomy I think I'll be doing Sex and the City next.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
Dr put me on a bit of a restriction, after he had to open my incision back up to drain an infection. I can walk around the house, but not much. I still try to do more than I'm supposed to. Going to the store is a huge no no for now. I have to be sitting for at least 10-12 hours of my day, basically, and it's driving me nuts! I had some photo sessions I had to do that I've had to cancel and that made me really sad.

I've been watching a bunch of TLC and playing around online - Pinterest is a great way to pass some time *laughs*
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been suggested. Just hope that the 6 weeks go by quickly for you.

September 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
video games

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
September 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not sure what to add either, but hope you can slowly add things back in as you feel up to it. Will you have a 2-week PP check? I did after my cs, and did gain back a few activities I think.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

September 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Call everyone you know.

Here is a little Internet search - I have no idea if the answers can be found:

How many babies were named Michaela in 1974?

When was the word pixie first used in its current context?

What is the Spanish, Norwegian and French version of a pixie?

Download and listen to 'Where is my mind?'.

Find 3 of the cutest pixie images on the web and post a poll for us to vote on which is cutest.

Get a colouring book and colour.

Send out birth announcements.

Don't hesitate in asking your Mum and Shaun to help you.
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! Bless your hearts.

We do have a library though too far away for me to walk. I may ask Shaun to take me so I can check out a box set or two, that's a great idea. I might also re-watch my Vicar of Dibley box set, it's been a while.

I'm sorry you're in the same boat Jacque. I have been meaning to check out Pinterest so that is another great idea.

Video games, hmmm. Not fond of gaming really. I may try if I get super bored! Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll definitely do the internet search, thank you for that. I could make up a sheet or two all about where Michaela's name is derived from based on that for her memento box - the Michaela is significant, too, as she is named after Archangel Michael.

I wasn't going to do birth announcements as have done so via text, email, JM and FB really. However I do have some thank you notes to write for cards and gifts I've received so this reminds me to do that.

Mum and Shaun have started stepping in to do things before I can even get up. They know what I'm like. I'm going to have to get better at asking them, I know. I just don't like being a pain.

No, I don't get a 2-week doc check. I'm still under the community midwife who comes out every few days and checks my wounds and general health as well as checking on Michaela. She would refer if she felt I needed to see a doc. I think it works differently on the UK NHS. My doc check will be at 6 weeks.
Cylence likes this.

September 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have some great suggestions here and I can't think of anything else to add, but I wanted to say don't hesitate to ask for help! You need to take the time to heal properly. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you though.

I really hope the time passes quickly. My one saving grace is reading so I'd likely get a pile of books and work my way through them. I'm also addicted to movies and recently we've started watching TV shows on Netflix which is keeping me sane(ish).

September 1st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
Do you have a webcam? What about Skype? It's free and you know lots of people online - you have the freedom to chat for just a few minutes and shut it off without having to worry about making someone's effort to visit worthwhile. It might help you not feel like a complete shut in without being overwhelmed by visitors.
Maybe an online course? Learn a new langeage?
Hope it goes quick for you
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
Yeh, Pinterest is currently assisting in creating the ideal home. *laughs* Eric got me to agree to stay out here in BFE if we could build our home with some certain stipulations (like a slide built in next to the stairs) *laughs*
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 2nd, 2012, 03:39 AM
I don't have Skype, or a webcam. Sometimes I catch someone at the right time on FB and have a chat. I used to chat a lot on MSN with a bunch of girls I met following the Red Hot Chili Peppers but we all had kids and drifted away from it lol. I've been bugging one of them, my BFF from Portugal, to get her butt on MSN but she's very busy right now with a poorly mom and son.

Online course is a fab idea! There's something called witch school that was posted on Pagan Living ages ago that I wanted to do but forgot about because I never had the time...I'll ask the ladies on there if anyone still has the link. Thanks for that one!!

As explained I don't have the brainpower for something as involved as learning a new language right now. I'm getting 6-8 hours of broken sleep a night (Shaun does the late feeds at 11ish and sometimes 1-2am ish, but I still have to get up between 2-4am to express, and then I do the early morning feed between 6-7am and am so awake by the time I've done the "routine" I can't go back to bed), and I am a person who needs a solid 10 hours, especially when the anaemia is playing up. Great idea though!

September 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Sounds like you have some great ideas! I hope the time goes by quickly for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search