***TMI*** - Post-partum painful bowel movements?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By Ever
  • 1 Post By 20ghanover
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Sorry to post something so TMI but I wanted to ask if anyone else was experiencing this or had done before. I've told the midwife and she says it's pretty normal for my situation.

So obviously I had a c-section with several layers of stitching and do feel bruised and battered around my uterus. I am also on iron pills for anaemia which can make for constipation and hard BMs. In addition to this, I've had hemorrhoids since I had my son and I have more since this pregnancy. The combination is making it incredibly painful to go. I have to strain, even though I'm also applying the birth breathing technique from Hypnobirthing which I learned, and I worry about straining because of my stitches. It hurts before I need to go, throughout, and for about 10 minutes after. The first time I went post-partum I had to ask for a stool softener in hospital and since then it's been easier, but painful.

I think I will speak to the midwife again about it on Monday and ask her if she thinks I'd be best on some medication to help soften the stools, though I'd then need ferrying to the doctor's since it's too far for me to walk. Plus I'm trying not to take too much medication because of expressing.

In the meantime I just wondered if it's "just me" and I'm not normal or if anyone else is experiencing anything similar or has done before.

September 1st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The hospital gave me stool softeners. It really helped. feel better!!!

Thank you Vicki for my wonderful siggy.

September 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I dealt with that too. I've always used stool softners, but this time they just didn't help. Things resolved around 2 weeks PP for me I think.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

September 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I felt like I was being ripped in half after DD was born with my bowel movements. Between being so constipated and terrified of the pain I kept having every time I was in more pain than I had been in labour. I was breathing through waves of pain every time. I tried suppositories as well which sort of worked but not well enough.

This time I've stocked up on some major amounts of fibre foods and I'll be making sure to keep taking a stool softener for a while after birth. Drinking lots of water can help, and prune juice, although I never tried that one.
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your not alone - im having really painful BM with rather a lot of blood each time. I only poop every 2-3 days because it is so painful, i think i have another fissure or something

...and baby number 2
September 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
happened to me. pear juice and some miralax (over the counter) did the trick!

or coffee and a cigarette, tee-hee
Carwen*Angel likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
yeah painful here too. (though my stiches are... right there) I'm taking a softener daily. My hemorhoids are awful from pushing

September 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Stool softeners and drinking lots of water were a lifesaver for me.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 2nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'm already on the heaps of water and fruit juice, and I actually figured out this morning that a black coffee helps.

I'm eating plenty of fruit and wholemeal bread and have bought cereals in for extra fibre, too. Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully all this will help and then if not I'll speak to the doc later this week about stool softeners. I'm supplementing with Michaela now as well as expressing breast milk because it's just not satisfying her so I would just have to speak about the whole situation and see what the doc thinks. I have to go anyway for a blood test to be followed up by an anaemia review if I can manage until the end of the week. I'll mention it to the midwife tomorrow as well.

September 3rd, 2012, 04:03 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, this was me, too. August 2011. Had a c-section was on pain mgmt in the hospital which I was told could lead to constipation. They gave me stool softeners as well but no BM before discharge which really, really concerned me. I was eating every high fiber thing I could think of. Sent my husband to CVS to buy a suppository and it happened while he was at the store. OMG, but that was the last of that and I discontinued the meds, they were what constipated me in the first place. Good luck.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

September 3rd, 2012, 05:30 AM
Midwife still says it's pretty normal with me being on iron and having piles. She suggested seeing the doc for cream for the piles to see if that helps. This morning though it wasn't AS painful. I'm figuring that if I have black coffee first thing it really helps.

September 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a similar problem in the beginning. I got really constipated after Emily's birth and although I had a vaginal birth, the act of having a bowel movement put a lot of pressure on my stitches. I took stool softeners and Milk of Magnesia and the MOM worked but not the softener so it was pretty painful for a while. After 5 weeks, I'm finally just getting back to normal in that department.

September 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I had to take a stool softener daily for like 2 weeks. The bp meds I'm taking make me constipated, combine that with being pp, it was killer. Feel better hun.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 5th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks ladies. Black coffee and OJ with my breakfast and not taking my iron until I've "been" in the morning really seem to be helping. I really hope things straighten out and feel better over the next few weeks.

Melissa, I had the same issue PP with Daniel when I'd had an episiotomy - except it hurt to wee then as well because of the stitches! Think I'd rather my issue than yours hun, having been through both.

September 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
babygreenes.mommy
i'm having the same thing...painful bowel movements and it's bloody. it terrified me the other day because it was the first time i had that much blood and then the next day it happened again but not as much blood. i'm now scared to go to the bathroom and worried that something is wrong with me because of the amount of blood that passed with the bm. my mom thinks i have a hemorhoid and that it burst or whatever but idk. i didn't really have many problems with going to the bathroom to the point that it would cause hemorhoids, but i could be wrong i suppose. i just hope i'm going to be ok.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search