Nails and colds

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By K.A.T
  • 1 Post By aubers68
  • 1 Post By berryblue031

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
Ava has a nail that tore some on its own from snagging on something, I imagine, I've cut off the longer bit and as much of the snagged part as possible, but its tearing inward. Other than snipping what I can and putting her in inside out mittens (less material to snag on since its smoother), is there anything else I should do or be worried about if it goes further?

Also, DH appears to be coming down wth something, awesome timing considering I can't remember the last time either of us were sick. Anyway, how susceptible is a newborn? Pediatrician here advises us not to give any medicine without consulting them first and yet my only way of talking to someone is by calling the hospital appointment line and requesting a call back...then they have 48 hours to return it.

Newborns bring about such silly worries.

My Ovulation Chart
September 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we have a house full of virus right now - our toddler, my husband, and myself. pediatrician today said not to be concerned unless fever breaches 100.2 - must take rectally - then to call her or go to ER asap.

nail - i think she'll be fine - at 6 weeks, we are still using nail files and lots of mitten clothing millie's nails get jagged so easy!
September 4th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Melanie!
We were told to take her temp under her arm cause they were seeing more harm than good from parents doing rectal temps, lots of cases of puncturing the rectal wall or something.

My Ovulation Chart
September 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave her a cold. She is still stuffed up from it.
September 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG - really?!?! Wow! I barely even put it in, I'm so scared to hurt her!
September 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I was pretty freaked out when they told me the reasoning. She said the armpit is just as accurate as the rectal temps if you've got a good thermometer, but I can't seem to find one that doesn't have crappy reviews online! We have the one that came with her first aid kit for now, but its soooo slow.

My Ovulation Chart
September 4th, 2012, 04:33 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I started trimming his nails with a clipper about 2 weeks ago. I started out with filing them but his nails were still sharp and he doesn't do mittens well. As for catching a cold, I wouldn't really worry about it unless a fever accompanies it.
afwifey09 likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Summer might have a cold She's really stuffy and always has major boogers but they're not yellow or green in color, white actually.

Sorry, that really has nothing to do to help you, just sharing our story
afwifey09 likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
There is a really good chance the baby won't get sick. They have super immune systems when they are new and if you are breastfeeding then your body is feeding her antibodies as well.

My son came home last Wednesday with a snotty nose and a fever, Anna was only 5 days old! I spent two days hugging him on the couch while he watched TV and was just miserable, the next two days I spent laying on the couch miserable lol my fever is gone and only a cough remains.

The baby however is just fine she hasn't caught the cold at all and she has definitely been exposed... my son loves it when she sucks on his finger... and you really don't want to know where an almost 3yr old's finger has been.

As for the nails I have DH cut Anna's with the clipper while she is on the boob - as long as she has the boob she doesn't care how she is prodded or poked lol
afwifey09 likes this.

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
September 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
My SO was just sick for the past few days and even stayed home from work yesterday. It didn't affect Oz at all. I didn't avoid him, and I never do when I'm sick - he gets sick all the time and I never do, I think I've only caught something from him twice in all our years together. Anyways I figured my body was probably producing antibodies for whatever he had and I would pass them on to Oz so he didn't keep himself away from Oz (maybe breathed on him a little less).

Pinterest
Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search