Sucky Insurance

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By georgiabrit
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
UGH! So the other day I got a breakdown thing in the mail showing the cost of our hospital visit/delivery yada yada yada... it was for $16,978... I was a bit excited because I was like "Heck yea, insurance rocks" WELL apparently our insurance only covers 80% and we are responsible for 20% and today I got the bill... for $3,917!!! I'm freaking out. They want it paid by Sept 22nd... there is, however a number for payment plans "if you qualify". Anyone else have sucky insurance??? I know I should be grateful for what we do have but I just feel like we got the shaft...

ADDING... it's nice people can file for state help and have things like this covered completely. Would have been so nice if I were so lucky to qualify for that.... UGH I'm in a really pissy mood today and this just set me over...

Last edited by aubers68; September 4th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
September 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
you should only have to pay 20% of the "approved reasonable and customary charges" and for a birth, that sounds really high. i paid 20% for my c-section and it was only $1400, and that's in a big urban city....can't remember if you were vaginal or c-section but you should perhaps call and make sure that's a final amount. it seems really high with 80/20 insurance.

Last edited by 20ghanover; September 4th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
September 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Double check the charges before you pay for anything and make sure they are accurate.

September 4th, 2012, 06:56 PM
DH called the insurance and they explained everything... basically we just have crummy insurance

20% is actually $2192 of the hospital/delivery charges... but then we have an automatic $225 hospital co pay and a $1500 deductible. Which adding those makes the $3917 we owe..... LAME

One thing we're not understanding... which he didn't think of while on the phone with the insurance company... we don't understand how our deductible wasn't made by the DR charges... I really don't understand insurance stuff so DH is taking care of it all

September 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
The deductible is most likely out of pocket costs before the insurance 80/20 kicks in. My old insurance sucked like that so I quickly changed to dh's asap. Our bill was that high too but thankfully our out of pocket cost is only $200. I'm still waiting on the bills from the actual doctors though. I know that's usually separate. Sorry you have to pay so much.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
My insurance is thru hubbys work, we have bcbsga and ive had to cover probably $3500 myself also. It doubly sucks coming from the UK with our beloved national health service! I Feel for you, and share your pain!

Polly
aubers68 likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I've always used medicaid as a supplemental insurance since we are low income. This time I was blessed to have midwives who take payments. Just for the record: My home birth costs $3500. That includes prenatal care, tests, and EVERYTHING. My midwives even cleaned my house, did the dishes, and did the laundry while they were here! The low cost is just one of the many reasons I love homebirth. I just wish insurance would pay for it!
aubers68 likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Que I've heard some insurances are thinking about covering midwives/home births... have you heard anything like that?

September 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
It differs state to state. My midwives have had some luck getting insurance to cover since they had a CNM joine the group. CPM's are not covered in my state at all. They are in some places though.

September 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I hope you can work something out with them! I'm so thankful for the medical coverage we have here in Canada!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search