When does baby start batting at toys or grabbing?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
So the doctor told us Elias is a little ahead of the average when it comes to some things. He's almost rolling over (has been for 2 weeks now) from back to front. He'll roll his chest and shoulders and kick his opposite leg trying to get over but not there yet. He also has been smiling for real since around 4 weeks. She said we can tell it's a real smile when his eyes smile too and he laughs out loud.

My question is, when do most babies start batting at toys? I see him trying hard to hit his toys. Mr. Seahorse lays next to him and plays music and no matter where I move it to, Elias moves his arm to hit it and make it roll away from him. And he has a stuffed animal/half blanket type toy that hangs over his changing table and the last few days he's been cooing at it and batting it like mad and squealing in delight when he sends it flying. What age does that normally start? I see they say grabbing toys starts around 3 or 4 months but he's just 7 weeks now and today he took his thumb and forefinger and kind of tried pinching the toy's ear. He kept trying but couldn't get it to work right and he just would end up batting it again.

I know he's a little ahead on some things, but I know some babies are. I'm not worried, just wondering if the BTDT mommies had any ideas on this type of thing, or if any of the new mommies with babies around the same age are doing things like this yet? Does it run in the family? MIL said DH skipped crawling and started walking around 8 months. My mother also said I was an early walker, around 8 1/2 months. Just wondering if Elias will follow.

September 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I'm not sure what's normal, but Jackson is truly batting at the toys no his rocker toy bar now. He did it a few days ago, and it looked just accidental. However, I observed him closely today. He looks right at the toys, I rattle them, they really get his attention. Then he stares and he'll throw his hand out and hit them. He then gets excited looking at them rattle. When they stop, he'll throw his hand out and hit them again. He did it over and over today, and I can't believe it's just coincidence. He's four weeks old today.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 6th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, see? I knew he was doing it for real. Elias will do the same. The other night when Jared and I got home Elias was still in his car seat and Jared and I were both out in the kitchen and I heard his toy rattle over and over lol. He knows what he's doing.

September 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Oz is 5 weeks and he hits his toys on the play mat but I'm not sure if any of those swats are real attempts to get the toy or not. He locks on to interesting things, like this musical clown toy and has started turning his head towards rattle toys.

Pinterest
Flickr
September 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mikayla is 8 weeks old today and she's not batting at toys yet. Well, it looks like she is, but I really don't believe she is doing it on purpose. But with her adjusted age from being born prematurely, she would only be 4 weeks old, not 8.
September 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
All babies are different and will do things at different times, anything is possible. My son was lifting his head from birth, could roll from his back to his stomach by 4 weeks, but took until 6.5months before he could roll from back to front. However he was crawling at 6 months and walking at 8.5 months. I'm actually hoping that Melanie doesn't crawl/walk too early because once they move all heck breaks loose, lol.

September 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Michaela's already batting at toys. She can't grab just yet though. Daniel didn't show any interest in this sort of thing until around 2 months, so she's not following him. Every baby is different - there is no normal! Sounds like Elias will be a clever boy!

September 7th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I got real smiles since the day Pippa was born. She isn't interested in toys yet.

September 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
My babe just started 2 or 3 weeks ago. So, around 1 month. All babies are so different though. She's rolling over too and everyone seems to think its early.

September 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks ladies.

Today, he actually grabbed a toy on his play mat. He had been trying so hard and batting it like crazy, but then he'd slowly move his hand around it and you could tell he was trying to figure out how to grab it. His fingers would open and close but not on it. Jared (DH) showed him how by helping his hand open and putting the toy in his fingers and then closing them around it for him. Soon after he was able to grab it on his own 2 or 3 times but he still has to work hard for it It's so cute to watch him working things out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search