Your stash of liquid gold

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By LadyCoconut
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By aarafko
  • 1 Post By mzshell13
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 3 Post By .kelley.
  • 1 Post By Blessed.Life

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone interested in sharing a picture of your stash?? I know this might sound silly, but I'm curious how others store it. I hardly have anything and I feel like it's already taking up a good amount of room in my freezer. Obviously not a huge space but enough to be seen when the freezer is opened lol

September 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well everything I pumped was into bottles in the hospital so it's not great for storage.

I think your best bet is to pump into a bag, lay flat to freeze and then when it's frozen line them up in a box or Tupperware in the freezer so it's like a card file.

September 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Sure. I'll take a pic later.

September 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im not pumping yet, my health nurse said to wait until Noah is 6 weeks before i start. God i cant wait to start pumping and give Alan a chance to do some night feeds!

...and baby number 2
September 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Sarah, the LC told me that I could start pumping at 3 weeks, that babies don't have much nipple confusion after that point. So maybe you could start a little sooner. It's working really well for us, and it's awesome to see DH feed our little one. Also, he got up at 3:45 this morning and let me sleep for an extra 2 1/2 hours.

As for my freezer stash, I only have 4 ounces so far. I actually switched to exclusively pumping for a while to give my nipples a chance to heal. They were both getting really cracked and bruised. I'm not sure why, since the LC told me that Jackson's latch is good. I tried using nipple shields, but Jackson couldn't get as much milk then. He was getting frustrated, and my breasts were becoming engorged. So I switched to pumping until my nipples heal, and it's definitely been a relief. All that said, I'm able to pump a lot more at each session, so I'll be building my stash over the next 2 months for when I return to work.

We bought a small deep freezer for our garage, knowing that I will need to store quite a bit of breast milk. I'm storing it in a way that is definitely not a space saver, but it will save us an extra step in thawing and will be more convenient for our daycare provider. We're using the Playtex drop-ins bottle system. I found the tip online from another woman who stores directly into the drop-ins. I bought two drop-in storage kits. You can pump directly into the drop-ins (using the pump adjuster that comes with the kit), and then I add the rings and move to the freezer. Once fully frozen, I remove the rings and transfer to a Ziploc freezer bag. I figured that when I return to work and Jack is in daycare, I can just bring the Ziploc bags. She can then just remove them one at a time and drop directly into the bottles.

Again, not a space saver, but it is a time saver considering the bottles we're using.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I only get enough for same-day feeding, and store it in the frig, or if she happens to be waking for a feed just after I've expressed, she has it fresh. I'm grateful to get that since I couldn't BF at all with my son, couldn't even express, it always had blood in it, then it dried up.

September 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
still in the boobs. Not pumping yet. I need to try this weekend though. I have a job interview next week and will be gone a few hours.

September 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I don't have many bags in the freezer since I'm not pumping daily, but it does take up a bit of space in it.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 130 oz in the freezer...... 40 is in 4 oz bags, all 10 of those are in one gallon ziplock bag. Then I have 6 - 60 oz bags in another gallon ziplock, and 30 more in 10 oz bags just set in there, once I get 3 more those will be put in a ziplock as well, I write the date range on the gallon bag so I dont have to open it to look.
September 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I do what Shannon suggested. My husband actually rearranged the freezer the other day and I had to get onto him for putting all of my milk in the door. Ugh. Rowan still isn't a huge fan of the bottle so I am freezing 2 oz at a time by lying flat. Right now they are haphazardly tossed in the back of the freezer. I think I have about 30 oz pumped. I try to keep the stash around 1-2 days worth of milk. I don't tend to stock up more than that unless I am pumping for another baby in need to donate.
aubers68 likes this.

September 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I have several more bags I put in the freezer today. I have approximately 150 ounces or more.

September 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM
aarafko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm jealous! I so wish that I could pump like that. My supply is ridiculously low and so far even with my pumping just about every two hours it really hasn't gone up. I prettybmuch gave up about 3every days ago, but am now kinda regretting that decision. Not sure if I could bounce back or not now.
aubers68 likes this.

May 2013 February 2014 July 2014
September 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM
April you can bounce back!! I read about a lady who was on the verge of drying up and changed her mind and came back. It might be a little work but I have faith. Also, I've been taking fenugreek and it seems to be helping although I still pump only 2oz at a time my boobs seem to get full quicker. Maybe it would work for you as well?

Sherry that's amazing! I'm jealous. Do you pump a few times a day and combine in one bag or do you pump a lot at once? My bags are only 2oz each. That's all I seem to get in one pumping session.

September 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
Here's mine. Little one is waking up so no time to resize.

I put about 2-3 oz in a bag and freeze them flat. If I need milk (like this weekend when I'm in a wedding) I'll pull from the bottom, since it's the oldest.

I have about 30 oz. from pumping once a day and am so excited. With my son I had maybe 6-8 oz in the freezer at a time and that only happened when I woke up in the middle of the night to pump. I only pumped enough to give him what he needed for the next day. Just wanted to add that so everyone knows you do not have to have a huge stash when breastfeeding. I went 8 months with next to nothing in the freezer.
aubers68 likes this.

September 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
^^^^^ I Store mine the same way. 3ozs at a time and freeze it flat so I have more space. I was getting 20ounces a day but havent pumped in a few weeks due to moving so i have to get back in gear with it.

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
September 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubers68 View Post
Sherry that's amazing! I'm jealous. Do you pump a few times a day and combine in one bag or do you pump a lot at once? My bags are only 2oz each. That's all I seem to get in one pumping session.
In the beginning Pippa preferred my left breast. I would nurse on the left and pump the right. Then I would pump the left right after the feeding. After 2 weeks, I was able to get her to accept the right breast as well. Now I pump between feedings. Even when she nurses every hour, my body produces more milk. If she nurses long enough, I stimulate a second let down. I pumped every hour regardless, even at night, for the first month. I never slept, but it was worth it. I was determined to breastfeed without supplementing no matter how hard it was for me. When I pump every hour, I get anywhere from one to two ounces. If I sleep though the alarm and Pippa does not get up to nurse, I get more ounces. I use mini bottles and combine in a bag when I have the desired amount.
aubers68 likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
.kelley.'s Avatar formerly kktegan
Send a message via AIM to .kelley.
I probably have about 150 oz in the freezer. That is after I donated almost 200oz to a baby who was born in August and lost his mom in a house fire. Here is the stash I donated.
aubers68, K.A.T and Blessed.Life like this.
September 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
That's so awesome of you to donate!

September 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 8 oz in 2 4 oz bags -- not exciting enough for a photo
aubers68 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search