Formula Mommas

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Pinkhighheels27
  • 2 Post By Hopefulpinkangel
  • 2 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By georgiabrit
  • 1 Post By Tweetz
  • 2 Post By MrsJohnson
  • 2 Post By 1fabulousfem

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long does a can of formula last you? How much do you feed them per feeding? What brand do you use? Have you tried more then one before settling with the kind you have? One more, why did you choose the kind you chose?

Just curious how things work for formula mommas. We started feeding Summer a bottle of formula at night to help give me time to pump. We found it helps her sleep longer as well!!! We are using Gerber Gentle. It was a free sample I had and she's done pretty well so we've stuck with it.

September 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Mom to Madeline
We just had to put Madeline on Similac Soy (allergy related), and so far, she's so much better! We haven't gone through a complete can yet, but we have gone through 2 sample cans in 5 days. We put her on it because the pediatrician recommended. We are going to give it 2 weeks to see full results...then switch to Similac Sensitive if the Similac Soy doesn't work out. But so far so good!
aubers68 likes this.
September 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hopefulpinkangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A can of formula lasts us less than a week. She's eating approximately 6-4 oz bottles in a 24 hour period. She doesn't always eat a whole 4 oz at every feeding, but sometimes she does. We started her on Enfamil Newborn formula and that was only because we were given samples from the hospital and from her pediatrician. We are currently trying Parent's Choice (Walmart) version of the Enfamil Newborn formula because its cheaper. So far its going well.
aubers68 and Cylence like this.

Jan 2010 August 2011

September 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
We have used about half a can in 10 days. We had him on an ounce per feed for a day and then 2 ounces per feed for a week and then 50 to 40 and now 30 mL per feed which I will keep him on for a day or two before cutting to every other feed in order to make sure he is getting enough calories from my breast milk.

We just got Life store brand since the only goal was to fatten him up for the short term. We will probably buy a brand name can of formula to have on hand for when we want to go out and leave him with someone else. I am having no luck with pumping BM.
September 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mikayla has to be on Similac Alimentum for her reflux issues. She goes through a can every 4-5 days. It's $30 a can. Liquid freakin' gold.
September 10th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Michaela has two 120ml bottles of formula a day and the rest of the time expressed breast milk. I simply can't keep up with her with my milk production, but I am not complaining, because I have far more milk than I did with Daniel and I have to count my blessings for that. On two 120ml bottles and the odd extra one where I have missed an expressing session due to juggling too many jobs or sleeping through, we have used a third of a can in a week. She currently has SMA Gold first infant milk, but we have also tried samples of the SMA white hungry infant milk and HiPP organic first infant milk, and the hospital tried her on Cow & Gate. Both the HiPP and Cow & Gate make her vomit. Probably just too rich, Daniel was the same with Cow & Gate. The SMA white was actually the best and most satisfying for her but I am not wasting the tin of gold I have. When that's gone, we'll get a tin of white. Same formula Daniel had and thrived, so I'm happy.
aubers68 and MrsJohnson like this.

September 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM
babygreenes.mommy
we're using similac advance. it's what they had her on in the nicu whenever they didn't have enough breastmilk, and the only kind she could tolerate between that and gerber goodstart. a can lasts us about a week. she eats between 2-4 oz per feeding.
September 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
josie probably has a total of about 6oz a day in formula supplement. I use the Target version of the Similac for gassiness, and its great, even better than similac which froths up badly, and this doesn't at all. my milk is so low in the evening, and with 2 other kids and a crazy house I can't sit feeding all evening so I find an ounce or two of formula if she will tale it after her breastfeed gets us through!
MrsJohnson likes this.

September 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm supplementing Emily at night because for some odd reason, she gets ravenously hungry and still wants to eat after BFing. I've been giving her Similac or Enfamil Spit Up formula because she has reflux and the ped said it would help. It also contains rice starch which is supposed to keep them fuller longer but I haven't seen much evidence of that.

September 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Super Mommy
I give baby Jay Similac Sensitive for fussiness and gas.. when they put him on formula at the hospital that is the kind they gave him and sent me home with a few. We buy a little minin bucket(bigger then a can) every 5 days or so, if we are lucky.. when we first came home he was driving 2 ozs every 3 hours, then he went to 3 ozs every 2 hours now at a month old he is having 3 ozs every 2 hours during the day with a bottle or 2 of 4 ozs toward the evening and at night he is only waking up 2 times to eat.
aubers68 likes this.

September 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Veteran
I'm popping in here to say it's so good to hear that some of you mommies supplement with formula. I have been feeling guilty b/c breastfeeding is going well overall but I can't keep up with my baby - and it takes FOREVER to nurse and pump and feed. I don't know which brand to go with...but I have 2 friends who love Gerber Good Start and Similac Sensitive. I'm not giving up on breast feeding...I just need some help here.
aubers68 and 1fabulousfem like this.
September 12th, 2012, 04:42 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Here us my issue. Finn is a little piglet. I breastfeeed him on both sides until he unlatches which is usually for 20 minutes at a time. For some reason in the evening and night he wants more.
I prepare two 2 ounce bottles and a 4 ounce. If during the day he wants more I have the small bottles on hand to top him off. I give him the 4 ounce bottle before bed.
We're using Enfamil. He absolutely loves it!
aubers68 and MrsJohnson like this.

September 12th, 2012, 08:37 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^This is exactly how Emily is! Ravenously hungry at night, even after feeding for 20-30 minutes on both sides. That's usually the only time I give her formula.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search