Pumping at work

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So today was my first day back at work and I did not anticipate what a pain it would be to pump here. I don't have a fully enclosed office so I have to use a very cold meeting room that nobody ever uses. It took me forever to find an accessible outlet and then another 7-8 minutes to set up the horns, tubing, power supply and hands free bra. I think it takes as long to set up and clean up as it does to actually pump. I just had to vent but I'm sure it will get easier and more routine as time goes on. Any suggestions to make it better?

September 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Super Mommy
I found when I had DS that having as many parts together on the pump ahead of time helped and saved some time.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
September 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm nervous about this :/ literally the ONLY place I have to pump is in the private bathroom at work. I'm not keen on that at all...

September 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It would never work in teaching. There would literally only be lunch time to do it, and there isn't really anywhere in a school to go, as there are always clubs, music lessons etc going on in pretty much every available space, and children can come into class for coats and belongings during the break. So I have no experience of pumping at work. Hope it gets better for you.

September 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I guess it would be hard as a teacher although in the US, there is now a federal requirement that employers with 50 employees or more have to offer a private place to pump that isn't a bathroom so I'm sure schools are making accommodations. One of my best friends is a teacher and pumped so I'll have to ask her how she managed that.

September 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I usually have to use the bathroom at the hospital to pump while I'm working. There are not always outlets and I learned quicky to start packing my manual pump along with the electric. At a few long births, one of the midwives in my favorite group has let me use her bunk for pumping. There have been times when there was no where for me to pump, so I just sat in the corner and used my sweater to cover up and pump in the corner.

September 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Fortunately, I do have a private office, and my staff (women) know that I'll be pumping. So it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I agree about set-up. My milk flows pretty easily, so the set-up and clean-up take just as long (or longer) than the actual pumping.

September 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Hope it gets easier for you.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah it really sucks not having an office. I've always had one at every other job but now I have an office with walls on 3 sides but a cube wall on the 4th and no door

And it's awkward because I work with mostly men and yesterday my boss randomly called me into a meeting right when I was about to pump and it ended up being 1.5 hours! I really did not want to have to say "Excuse me, but my boobs are about to explode." I guess I just need to remind him that I'm pumping and that it's not necessarily something I can put off - kind of like going to the bathroom.

September 11th, 2012, 07:39 AM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a teacher and I pumped for 5 months! It's totally doable. I pumped right before school, during lunch or my planning time (depending on my schedule that day) and right when the kids went home for the day. My classroom had a lock and I sent an email to everyone who had a key that I would be pumping and not to enter. I warned my students that if they forgot something they'd have to go without it, and I always did a double check of the lunch bin to make sure they had them. I did get walked in on once by the secretary and a parent coming to pick up a child, but she quickly realized and waited in the hall while I finished. Luckily it was an understanding female parent who wanted to discuss what kind of pump I used,lol. After that I put a big sign on the door that said do not enter, which got attention from the big students but they didnt guess what was going on. If you dont have your own classroom, I know teachers who have pumped in the book/supply room, a coworkers classroom, the guidance counselors office, and even my male principal's office.

Melissa if no one uses the meeting room could you leave your pump in there and cover it with a blanket? Maybe not the horns/bottle but the actual pump/tubing. I used to leave mine plugged in and covered in the corner of my classroom. I used to already have everything connected to so all I had to do was attach the tubing tuck in my bra, and start pumping. I found that the hands free bra took too long to use so I just used my regular nusing bras which I wore every day. I just loosed the shoulder straps completely, slid the horns between the flaps, and started the pump. The suction and the bra flap was enough to hold it on, as long as you didnt lean over too far. I was even able to walk around the classroom (I have the freestyle, so no cords) using this method. I often only had 15-20 minutes total inluding clean up so every second counted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search