How do I keep baby awake?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 06:17 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To go along with Tina's post about sleeping, I'm wondering how to keep them awake during daytime hours.

Emily started daycare yesterday and her daily report said she took a few cat naps yesterday for 15-20 minutes and 1 long one for 3 hours but then we got her home, she napped from 5:30 to almost 9. We're trying to keep her from being up at night, so DH and I were doing everything we could to wake her up and she did not want to cooperate. We put her in the bouncer, we made lots of noise, I blew raspberries on her tummy, etc. She even tried to sleep through her diaper / clothes change and she normally hates that and cries.

It was kind of disappointing considering she was away from us all day and when we finally got her back, she wasn't even conscious but maybe she was just really exhausted from her first day of school. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions to keep the baby awake during the day more? Now that I'm back at work, I'd rather her alert times not be at 2 in the morning.

September 11th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tuckr is really ticklish so I tickle him awake! That's how I keep him up. If he wants to sleep during the day I let him. But around 8-9 I keep him awake Til around 12 and he generally sleeps the vast majority of the night.

September 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
It sounds like she didn't get a good morning nap and crashed in the evening. I might suggest letting the daycare know that she needs to work on that morning nap. In the evenings, I would not try to concentrate on keeping her awake, but try to wake her to feed often. Undress her and use a wet washcloth to wake her up.

Keep an eye on it: I could be something as simple as a growth spurt or messed up schedule, but could also be a sign of illness.
AllyssaM likes this.

September 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
take off a layer of clothing, tickle him, talk to him, get him have tummy time or walk around the garden with him.

...and baby number 2
September 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
It sounds like she didn't get a good morning nap and crashed in the evening. I might suggest letting the daycare know that she needs to work on that morning nap. In the evenings, I would not try to concentrate on keeping her awake, but try to wake her to feed often. Undress her and use a wet washcloth to wake her up.

Keep an eye on it: I could be something as simple as a growth spurt or messed up schedule, but could also be a sign of illness.
Good point Que. When she was at home with me, she normally would take a morning nap so she probably just didn't get enough sleep during the day yesterday with the stimulation of being around other babies and in a new environment.

She was only there a half day today due to DH's school schedule so we'll see if things are different tonight.

September 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looking at your ticker, she's right around 6 weeks... Summer's 6 week "email updates" that I receive said that she may be sleeping and eating more due to a growth spurt. It also said that researchers have found that the amount of hours babies spend crying peaks at 6 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search