Eye Color

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 09:34 PM
katiebear's Avatar Ryder's BIGGEST Fan!!
Send a message via AIM to katiebear Send a message via Yahoo to katiebear
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see it when I scrolled down but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it!

Anyway...

When does baby eye color typically change to what it will stay? I could swear DS had his brown eyes by about 4ish weeks. They started out as a grey color. Ellie has the most massive blue eyes I've seen, and I expected her to be born with them but didn't expect them to stay this long since both daddy and I have brown eyes. He is hoping her eyes stay blue, and I would love it if they did as well (even though that'd be a little weird), but realistically I still think they'll change.

How bout you ladies? When did your older LO's eyes change, or have your new LO's eyes already changed?
September 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tuckr is 2 weeks and his are still mostly the "baby grey blue" but i see a hint of green. i have "hazel" eyes, mine change color from brown, to bright green, to blue and taylr's are a weird green blue color. so im thinking his will probably be the same.

September 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
Ava still mostly has the weird baby blue/gray too. I have blue and DH green, so we'll see!

Oh, I also read online that their eyes can change up to two years old.
September 12th, 2012, 02:52 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Noah has blue/grey eye at the moment and I really want them to change like mine - i have bright blue eyes - but i think they are going to be more like Alans, his are brown/green/grey/blue.

...and baby number 2
September 12th, 2012, 04:28 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My kids usually turn by 3 months, but don't get their full true color till 8-12 months. We have deep brown eyes in my family. EVERYONE does. My husband has hazel eyes. My babies will have DH's color for a short period of time before they turn my color. I would love if one had DH's color. It's a pretty hazel that sort of changes color with what he''s wearing. Right now Rowan's eyes are DH's color. But the center is already changing from that golden/hazel color to brown.

September 12th, 2012, 04:40 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know technically anything can happen but I've learnt that brown is dominant. And bc there is Brown in hazel that Summer will probably have my eye color. So bummed if this holds true bc DH has beautiful blue eyes. Anyhow, hers are still the "baby bluish grey"

September 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
around a few months, dh has dark brown eyes and I have green eyes. Our first has blue eyes (but dh's and my mom both had blue eyes so I guess he cought the 25% of the recessive recessive gene. Chloe and Cameron have dh's eyes. So far Carlie's are blue, and more blue than Chloe and Cameron's ever were, would love it if they stay that way but I am not getting my hopes up yet!
September 12th, 2012, 06:25 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aubrey, my best friend has brown eyes and her DH has blue and both her kids ended up with blue eyes. So you never know...

Emily's are still gray blue although they're a little lighter than when she was born. I have green and DH has hazel/brown so we're hoping they'll turn green. Or blue like his mom or my grandmother.

Interesting fact on green eyes - if you have green eyes and they're prevalent in your family and your partner has brown, the chance of green eyes is only slightly lower than brown eyes. So green eyes are a pretty dominant gene (or gene mutation, I should say).
aubers68 likes this.

Last edited by ufmelissa824; September 12th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
September 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Dd1 had blue until 2 YEARS!!! Then slowly turned to dark hazel-green. Dd2 was blue until 4 months and were brown by 6 months. This dd3 still has blue, who knows they could be brown or green or anything. Eye genetics is complicated not everything is understood. So interesting!

September 12th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've noticed with my blue-eyed kids that their eye color gets lighter before staying blue, but my brown-eyed son's eyes darkened up after birth. Just a clue to how it could go. Elise's are lightening, so I'm thinking she'll have blue eyes, like Owen and Noah.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

September 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufmelissa824 View Post
Aubrey, my best friend has brown eyes and her DH has blue and both her kids ended up with blue eyes. So you never know...

For that to happen it means she has to carry a recessive eye colour gene, like green, blue etc, as well as a brown. If both her genes were brown there would be no chance of any of her kids having blue eyes because the baby takes one gene from both parents and a brown is always dominant.

Do any of your parents, grandparents or aunts and uncles have blue eyes? If yes then you might carry the gene and there is definitely a chance.

But in truth eye colour is really complicated and doesn't just come from one gene.

Pinterest
Flickr

Last edited by one.juniper; September 12th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
September 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Seamus had those newborn blue eyes for about 18 months before they finally turned green. Rhiannon's got to the lighter blue colour they are now at about... oh... 6 months?

Brigit is almost 6 weeks old and she's mostly got that newborn blue... but it's starting to lighten up. In the day time they look pretty blue, but at night they definitely have a hint of green. Almost like they are teal. I'm hoping they turn green.

September 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Ethan's are pretty brown already. I just wonder what kind of brown are they going to be. DH's are darker than mine. I have light brown eyes and he has very dark brown eyes. Lil Kev's are in the middle of our two shades of brown, so I guess E will be too.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Hannah are still the baby colour of course, but my older kids pretty much changed by the time they were a couple of months old. We all have blue eyes here, but mine change from time to time.
September 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had blue eyes until they changed green in 4th grade. Now I just have a super light green color eye. My husband has a very light brown but everyone else in his family besides his mom has blue. Micahs have been lightening and getting more and more blue so I think his will stay blue and maybe turn green as mine did or stay blue.
September 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran
Ryans are still the baby blue. My other kids eye colors are 1st ds is blue, 2nd ds was blue until 3 then turned green, oldest dd are blue, but she now has green it them too for the last few months so I think they are going to turn green and she's 5.5, and youngest dd who is 3 eyes are still very blue. I have brown eyes and dh has blue eyes. I thought one of my kids would have light eyes not all of them. I guess I'll see what Ryan's eyes will turn into.
September 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Jfolk826's Avatar Kayleigh & Kendyle's Mom
DJ has some pretty bright blue eyes right now, but I am not really sure if they will stay that color or not...I would love if they stayed blue. I have brown eyes, DH has green eyes my oldest daughter has my brown eyes, and Kendyle my youngest daughter has the prettiest green eyes. I would love to have my little blue eyed boy!

September 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
It varies. Jess had blue eyes that changed to green at age 7. Pippa and Christian both have very blue eyes like George.

September 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hadley's are blue and I think they will stay, my other three kids all have blue eyes. DH has hazel and I have brown.

September 13th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Daniel inherited my green eyes. He had them from birth.

Michaela's eyes are blue. They're so much like her daddy's in colour and brightness, I don't think they're going to change.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search