Breast feeding question...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenn1320
  • 1 Post By Pixie Dust
  • 1 Post By Jennifer8080
  • 1 Post By TuckrLeesMommy
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tuckr has a really good latch and has since day one. I strictly nurse him, I haven't started pumping yet. Judging by his weight gain he is getting plenty to eat. He's 2 weeks and about 10 pounds now.
My question:
Sometimes when he eats he acts like he hasn't eaten in hours. He gulps and drinks really fast and he like chokes or forgets to breathe and then he has a huge coughing fit. I don't understand why he does this since I feed on demand. He eats frequently. Is this normal?
Also sometimes I know he's hungry and he acts hungry and he will latch for a few seconds then make a horrible face and cry for a minute then relatch for a minute then ugly face and cry again. We go back and forth like this for a bit before he either latches or just cries. I feel bad because I know he's hungry. He sucks on his hands and looks around for a boo. I try again and again and eventually he gives in but I feel so bad. Am I doing something wrong???

September 14th, 2012, 07:21 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Does he do it when your milk is letting down, before your milk is letting down, or after?

September 14th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Been there with ALL of that! Here's my theories:
Sometimes when he eats he acts like he hasn't eaten in hours. He gulps and drinks really fast and he like chokes or forgets to breathe and then he has a huge coughing fit. I don't understand why he does this since I feed on demand. He eats frequently. Is this normal?
I think this is due to let-down. You probably have a fast let-down, hence the choking. As he grows it won't bother him as much. (I've already noticed this w/E) Either that, or your let-down will lessen.

Also sometimes I know he's hungry and he acts hungry and he will latch for a few seconds then make a horrible face and cry for a minute then relatch for a minute then ugly face and cry again. We go back and forth like this for a bit before he either latches or just cries. I feel bad because I know he's hungry. He sucks on his hands and looks around for a boo. I try again and again and eventually he gives in but I feel so bad. Am I doing something wrong???
I think it could be gas. E has done this from time to time, and either has a really big burp, or just gets over it. I think the hand sucking is just because babies love to suck and it is comforting/calming to him. Elise loves to suck on her hands. We don't do pacis, so we are fine w/hand-sucking.

And I've had this will all my kids, and was able to EBF them all to a year or longer. With lots of good, strong growth.

HTH!
therevslady likes this.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

September 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm thinking along the same lines as Que i think - let-down can bring the milk on pretty fast which is why you'll notice they suck faster and with less gaps in the early part of a feed, and sometimes they choke if it's filling their mouth a little too fast for their liking!
As for the second one, Josie does this a lot too - again i think it's let-down coupled with gas, or hungry baby swallowing fast and making their tummy hurt a bit - Josie usually settles down after much faffing and stroking of her cheek.

Polly

September 14th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It doesn't seem to always be from let down. I never thought of that tho! That makes sense. I know I have a very abundant supply. I'm going to start pumping soon. I have pumped to relieve myself and I swear I make enough milk for ten babies!

I'll try burping him more when he latch/unlatches.
Thank you!
I was worried I was doing something wrong!

September 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
We had a problem like this too. Cetch would suck, pull his head back, try to relatch and then scream. He would then bob his head back and forth. I found that he does better if the nipple is dry. So, if he latches on and lets go for some reason I use a burp rag to quickly dry my nipple before he relatches. It works most of the time. Sometimes we latch, suck, cry, dry, relatch a couple of times before he stays on. HTH
Jenn1320 likes this.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

September 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a good idea I'll try that! Cause that sounds like exactly what Tuckr does. Thank you!

September 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have the same issues with Caleb sometimes because I have an overactive letdown and oversupply. Since I'm a SAHM and have no desire to pump I have been doing block feeding, so I feed on the same breast for 3 hours, then switch. It seems to have heled some. It also gets easier for them to handle as they get older. Caleb doesn't choke as much as he used to.
AllyssaM likes this.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I've choked my guy a few times, too, from a fast letdown. Once, he choked and the milk came out his nose.

One of the really good takeaways from my meeting with a lactation consultant was that baby and mama are both learning and adjusting. Things won't always be perfect at each feeding, but it doesn't mean that anything is wrong... on your end or the baby's.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh goodness out his nose!? That would be a sight!
Tuckr looks so determined even when he's gasping for air. And then he grabs my boob like his life depends on it to get more!
Mom2JDub likes this.

September 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I agree with gas!!!! Cameron does this at least every other feeding. 95% of the time, I can get a good burp out of him by holding him up and sitting him on the nursing pillow and bouncing him to get it out. Then he relatches and does great. Good luck!
berryblue031 likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Agree with the gas thing. Every single time Paxton does that, act like he really wants to latch but can't and then gets fussy, it's because he has to burp. As soon as I sit him up and pat him a couple of times he'll belch then get right back to eating no problem.

And choking is definitely normal. Like the girl's said sometimes it comes out so fast they can't keep up. Paxton has a habit of comfort nursing after he's asleep to the point where I'll let down again then he chokes. Silly baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search