Chicken or Quorn Fajitas

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I thought I'd kick things off for the healthy cook book by posting my own favourite recipe.

You need:
- 1 chicken fillet per person or (vegetarian and even more low-fat version) 1 pack of Quorn chicken style pieces per 3-4 people
- roughly 3-4 sliced mushrooms per person (depending on size)
- 2 peppers
- 1 onion
- 2 chillies
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (depending on size)
- olive oil
- 1 lime
- half a tube of tomato puree (not concentrate)
- 2 tortillas per person

For chunky salsa to accompany:
- About 10 cherry tomatoes (off the vine is nicest)
- About half a cucumber
- 1-2 tsp mixedherbs
- salt
- malt or balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil

(Optional) - Diced avocado is also a nice accompaniment.

1. Ignore the salsa for now. Wash and chop/slice the veggies (and chicken if appropriate) as preferred. Make sure the chillies are deseeded.
2. Fry the chicken or quorn in a minimal amount of olive oil, crushing in the cloves of garlic.
3. When the chicken is cooked on the outside, add the onions and peppers.
4. When the onions are cooked, add the mushrooms and chillies. While they cook, juice and grate the rind of the lime into a dish.
5. When the mushrooms are cooked, squeeze half a tube of tomato puree on top. Add the chilli powder, ginger and lime and stir well.
6. Simmer for around 15 minutes. In the meantime, warm up the tortillas as per packet instructions.
7. Spoon the mixture into the centre of the tortillas and wrap. Make sure you don't put too much mixture in the tortilla or it won't wrap!

A slightly healthier variation would be to serve with brown rice instead of tortillas - or brown pittas - or limit the tortillas to one each and eat the rest on its own. Salsa and avocado can be served on the side and spooned into the top of the wrap. Grated cheese is also nice with these but not as healthy - perhaps low fat cheese would be a good compromise.

For the salsa:

1. Dice the tomatoes and cucumber and place in a bowl.
2. Add a sprinkle of salt, the mixed herbs and a splash of vinegar.
3. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over until there's a small pool in the bottom of the dish.
4. Mix with a spoon so all the flavours are combined.

You could omit the extra virgin olive oil if desired - it still tastes nice with just a splash of vinegar, it's just not quite the same.

Pah, I made this the other day and never thought to take pictures. Next time I make it, I'll try to remember.

September 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mom to Madeline
Yummy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search