Is the Nuchal Translucency screening/ Amniocentisis worth it?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TuckrLeesMommy
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By Pinkhighheels27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hello All,

I'm 22 years old, this is my first pregnancy. I'm scheduled to get the NT screening done on 10/19 when I'm 12 weeks. After researching the topic I'm asking myself if it's worth it due to the false positive rates plus the risks that come with amniocentisis.... Would ya'll mind sharing your personal experiences? Thank you for your answers....

- A very nervous first time mommy.
October 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
Congrats!
I've never had the testing done because if I did get a positive, I wouldn't allow more invasive testing. Also, in the event of a (true) positive, knowing wouldn't change the outcome for me
Best of luck!
October 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I agree. It just depends on the questions you are asking with the test. Given the answers to those questions, would the answers to the test change anything for you? Is there anything different you would do? Does it change anything for your care provider? Would you have to make any alterations to your birth plan?

If it doesn't change anything, then what's the use of getting super worked up and worried over nothing? What will be, will be. What is, is. Four kids and I've never agreed to one. I am also super sensitive because I have had a couple of miscarriages and I do not want to add any risk factors to losing a baby before their time.

October 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey there I was in the same boat.
I did ALOT of research on exactly what the testin consisted of, what the risks were, what the advantages are, basically weighed the pros and cons.
I second what everyone else said.
What it came down too was what's the point?
If there is a positive for any kind it wouldn't change anything an there is nothin I can do about it at all so I would just be fretting and worrying for MONTHS about nothing.
Plus there are a lot of risks involved, the womb is a totally sterile environment made perfectly to support your child. I didn't want to chance infection or popping his bubble or anything like that (silly I know but these were my fears)
For me I said no.
You just have to ask yourself what's worth it. Is it worth it to MAYBE find out somethin you can do nothing about which could very well be nothing anyways and run risk to your baby? That was the question I asked myself
therevslady likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 06:37 AM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats!
To me, the NT scan is worth it- for piece of mind and the early chance to see my baby. I had elevated PAPPA levels with my son, and ended up with extra monitoring and a perfectly healthy baby. I'm the kind of person who likes to be prepared, so it worked for me. I would never do an invasive procedure like an amnio though,no matter what.

October 2nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I think at your age amniocentesis probably isn't worth it, unless you have a significant family history of birth defects.
Mrs.Julie likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
October 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Mom to Madeline
I'm totally in favor of the NT. If something IS found abnormal, you can at least plan appropriately, have further testing, etc.

For me, it would be less stressful if something was wrong bc you'd be prepared upon delivery with the right resources, instead of being even more overwhelmed with a newborn.

And, if nothing is wrong, great piece of mind!
tryingfornumber1 likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Ditto to Ashley (Pinkhighheels27). For me, the NT scan was worth it, but I probably would not have had amniocentesis, due to the risks to the baby.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
October 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhighheels27 View Post
I'm totally in favor of the NT. If something IS found abnormal, you can at least plan appropriately, have further testing, etc.

For me, it would be less stressful if something was wrong bc you'd be prepared upon delivery with the right resources, instead of being even more overwhelmed with a newborn.

And, if nothing is wrong, great piece of mind!
Ditto. I had the NT scan done for both my babies but never had an amnio.
October 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Add me to the NT was worth it for me. The doctor wanted me to do an amnio but I wasn't willing unless there was a reason to. IMO, it gave me a peace of mind and would have given us time to prepare if something was wrong.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

October 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely do the NT if anything just to see your LO on an u/s. I wouldn't do the amino though.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

October 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Congratulations! It's a very personal decision. Certainly I wouldn't have an amnio, I was offered it with this pregnancy because I am over 35 but declined because I was 100% positive that no matter what I would not have terminated the pregnancy - I wanted the child whatever came, and there's a risk of miscarriage with an amnio, so just wasn't worth it for me. I had the NT scan.

Tags
amniocentesis , first baby , first pregnancy , nuchal translucency

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search